Size hooks for steelhead using beads or yarn balls?

corsara

I've been fishing for bass/pike/walleye, also some carp for a while.  Just recently got into river fishing, and now being the steelhead season at lower Niagara, I've been experimenting with a 10ft baitcaster rod and float fishing.  I'm getting all kinds of conflicting reports regarding hook size to use for beads and yarn balls when targeting steelies.  There's a huge variation at suggested sizes in articles all over the internet.  Some suggest 1 or 1/0 for steelhead, others say you should go as small as 14.   I'm confused, and have no point of reference.   Looking for some advice from more experienced anglers who are successful with their float drifting for steelhead in lower Niagara river.  Since I haven't been successful yet, I'm doubting my choices and naturally my confidence is pretty low.   Thanks in advance!

Oh, also for the beads---another point of conflicting reports.  So what size is better?  Say dirty water vs clear water.  Apparently they come in millimeter sizes.  I've no clue :(  one article says 8mm, another 14mm beads....so confusing... like choosing color depending on water clarity isn't hard enough already :(  Pls help, will be greatly appreciated.  I'd rather hear advice from people fishing generally the same area (Niagara), than, say, BC or other places.

I find a snell knot , in wide gap octopuss hooks works best for me...and I like owner hooks. That's my opinion...others may differ. I run, 5, 6, 8, and 10 mil beads mostly. I will sometimes go 12 on very dirty water.

Colours, your trying to match the hatch...keep that in mind. I use a lot of natural, white, and greens but having a mixture is a must.

I always peg the bead with the rubber bead pegz and 2" above the hook.

7 hours ago, DaveC said:

I find a snell knot , in wide gap octopuss hooks works best for me...and I like owner hooks. That's my opinion...others may differ. I run, 5, 6, 8, and 10 mil beads mostly. I will sometimes go 12 on very dirty water.

Colours, your trying to match the hatch...keep that in mind. I use a lot of natural, white, and greens but having a mixture is a must.

I always peg the bead with the rubber bead pegz and 2" above the hook.

Thank you for the link and advice.  Ok, I get it, smaller beads for clear water, go larger as water clarity decreases.  Match the hook size to the size of the bead being used (as per the article).  This is helpful.  Time to go and stock up on some assortment of beads!  

Article also shows a "troutbeads knot"---I suppose it's either pegging it, or doing that knot.  Understood.

I suppose Palomar knot is ok for attaching the hook as well.  Or is it?  Does snell knot have any specific advantages, or Palomar works just as well (I'm so used to it already)?

4 hours ago, corsara said:

Thank you for the link and advice.  Ok, I get it, smaller beads for clear water, go larger as water clarity decreases.  Match the hook size to the size of the bead being used (as per the article).  This is helpful.  Time to go and stock up on some assortment of beads!  

Article also shows a "troutbeads knot"---I suppose it's either pegging it, or doing that knot.  Understood.

I suppose Palomar knot is ok for attaching the hook as well.  Or is it?  Does snell knot have any specific advantages, or Palomar works just as well (I'm so used to it already)?

Yes the snell knot does have advantages. If you put a hook in the vise and tie a regular knot and pull on the line....you will see that the line swivels in the eyelet of the hook. Now tie a snell knot on the hook and do the same thing...you will see that the line pulls on the shank of the hook. This prevents the hook from swinging under the bead and better hook sets, also gives you better control fighting the fish with the ability to steer the fish because your actually pulling the shank of the hook and steering the fish...vs the line swiveling and the fish being able to steer itself on that pivot point. With a snell knot there is no pivot point and and hook hangs straight and stiff below the bead...very few times will you miss the set vs clinch or polmar knot. Google advantage of snell knot...there is a video online to get a better understanding. Bead size is not always to do with clarity. Sometimes 8s or 6s just seem to be working better than 10s. I often fish smaller beads and hook more fish with them than the bigger beads.  You can also run tandem beads...with one bead 4 or so inches above the other one, all the time still using a single hook...more like an attractor bead. Or you can run, bead and a bag...bead on top, with bag on the hook. Experiment a bit...I almost exclusively use beads these days...just as good as roe and not all the messy goo...lol. Throw the odd jig, or pink worm too...when fish get finicky. Good luck, hope that helps you out some.

Thank you, DaveC.  Personally I never used snell knot, but after looking at it, I can see exactly what you mean about palomar and others creating a pivot point, while snell pulling on the shank of the hook.  I'll definitely start using it.  I usually refer to this page to learn knots, there are three Snell knots on there:  traditional (which I find harder), uni-version snell (easier), and easy snell knot (easiest).  I wonder if the third version is as strong though, can't decide.  Either way, thank you for the tips.  Can't wait to go and try some beads.  If stars align right, I'll be able to head out on Sat and/or Sun, we'll see if wife will disagree, lol

Oh man, where was this video last night, when I stayed until 2am pre-tying hooks!  I tried all three snell versions from the page I posted in my previous post, and none were as easy as this one!  Thank you very much, I feel like a ton of frustration just fell off my shoulders!  :)

5 minutes ago, dave524 said:

This one is much easier, been using it since the 80's

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/whip_finish.htm

This one seems like what's called by this page (https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/snell-knot-traditional) the "traditional snell knot".  I tried it, wasn't easy for me.  I guess with some practice and repetition every knot can become easy to do, personally I am settled with what the video above suggested and like it.

Archived