Baitcasters and float fishing

corsara

54 minutes ago, steellee said:

Yes easily. The 13' I have is actually a 13', 4 pc shimano clarus too. All I did was rewrap the 3 guides on piece #2 in a spiral pattern shifting the line gradually to the bottom guides, the 4th  guide that is on piece #3 makes up the full transition to the line being on the bottom guides. I also cut the cork back from the top and put on a casting reel seat with a nice short foregrip. It probably took an hour or or so all told and I took it off the rod dryer and was fishing with it the next morning. Later on after a few trips I realized the guides were too small and rewrapped the 4-5 last guides with a larger minima style guide much better for winter. The whole thing was basically a project I wanted too try with a gift card I had, a rod on sale, and components I already had laying around. If you do go this route make sure the float rod you choose has medium or low frame guides or you won't get a nice transition or need to rewrap the entire rod.  It does have a time and place but I prefer my 10'6 it's just a much nicer feeling rod.

Hmm...the more I'm thinking, the whole idea of line spiraling doesn't appeal too much to me for some reason.  Also the fact you prefer your normal 10'6 baitcasting rod more.  The whole point is to gain an extra few feet...but at what cost..  Thanks for the guide, the task doesn't seem too daunting, think I'm going to sleep on it, see how I feel later about it.  One thing is for sure---come winter, my baitcaster guides will freeze up much easier.  I'm thinking how difficult it would be to stick with my 10 footer, but put bigger guides on it.  Maybe not all the way, but at least the first 2-3 guides can definitely benefit from bigger holes.   Hmm...choices, choices, and indecisiveness.. :| 

52 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Buy a centerpin/float rod and you won’t be disappointed. 

I've thought about it.  It's not the difficulty that puts me off---like anything, it's a matter of some practice and repetition to get used to.  Positives:  better drift, longer rod, better fight and connection to the fish.  That's what I've read, because I've never touched a centerpin before.  Drawbacks that I read about:  not good for winter, freezes up more.  Slow retrieval speed.  But I'm sure I'll bite the bullet at some point, just not yet.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, corsara said:

I've thought about it.  It's not the difficulty that puts me off---like anything, it's a matter of some practice and repetition to get used to.  Positives:  better drift, longer rod, better fight and connection to the fish.  That's what I've read, because I've never touched a centerpin before.  Drawbacks that I read about:  not good for winter, freezes up more.  Slow retrieval speed.  But I'm sure I'll bite the bullet at some point, just not yet.

Love the fight on a float reel...just you and the fish, depending on how much or little you clamp down. Drag reel just not the same...You can pick up line off the water very fast with a spin of the reel with your hand. Good float reels don't freeze up. Only real drawback is the learning to cast, which with a 13 ft plus rod is pretty much not that far on most rivers.

Thanks.  About the freezing, I guess i meant more the fact you can't really use gloves.  With the baitcaster, I need only my thumb exposed to the elements.  I got too late into the float fishing game, given that it's almost winter, I guess I'll stick with the baitcaster for now, and explore the new territories a centerpin can provide in the spring. 

1 minute ago, cplummer said:

I build many baitcasters for my customers in the 13' to 15' range.

Add a fenwick twist and your all set.

I posted in a new thread in the "Great Lakes Custom Rods", which I believe it's you, but you never answered.  I'm really interested in becoming your customer for a baitcasting rod like that!  How do we do this?  Can you please PM me and discuss the details, please

4 hours ago, corsara said:

I posted in a new thread in the "Great Lakes Custom Rods", which I believe it's you, but you never answered.  I'm really interested in becoming your customer for a baitcasting rod like that!  How do we do this?  Can you please PM me and discuss the details, please

I sent ya a pm. 

On 11/26/2017 at 7:26 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Buy a centerpin/float rod and you won’t be disappointed. 

Exactly what Tyler said.

On a big river where the fishing tends to be a little coarser, where you need use floats and a ton of weight and heavier lines, then baitcasting outfits will work fine. But once you get into slower currents, lighter lines and more finesse rigs, you can just forget about it. The tiny diameter of a baitcaster's spool (even the best reels made) won't spin anywhere near as freely as a decent quality centerpin will. And, it will have to spin a whole lot more to let out the same amount of line, which is a major problem on slow drifts. When you need to fish gentle currents or use precision presentations, a baitcasting outfit can't keep up to a centerpin rig.

I use both centerpins and baitcasting outfits. I use spinning outfits and fly gear too, since everything has its time and place. But for steelhead fishing, if I was restricted to one outfit only, it would be a centerpin rig hands down.

This weekend I did pretty good for a newbie float fisherman.  Using my baitcaster and beads, I got 3 for 6.  The 3 I landed were three different sizes of steelhead, from small to larger 24 inch bow.  One I lost which I didn't visually see.  Another I lost was a bigger steelhead, which jumped one too many times and threw the hook.  Third lost fish was not a steelhead and not a brown, perhaps a laker as it didn't fight vigorously, but was lost during netting time, I think because of bad judgement when I set the drag for my baitcaster (too tight and apparently it tore the lip).  

Having said that, and being the beginning of a new week, I got the fly in my head that I want to try centerpinning after all.  Rather than investing hundreds upon hundreds of dollars not knowing if I'll stick with it, I ordered one of those Chinese centerpin reels just to see how it is (friend had one and was OK).  If I like it but find it deficient, I'll be making a more serious investment into a good reel.  Rod, however, I can't order cheap just to try, so I might just as well buy a better one from the get go.  Are there acceptable centerpin rods suitable for trout that are up to, let's say $300, and are at least 3 pieces and 13-14-15 ft length?  Pls, recommend something you've used and were happy with.  

So, after hours of research, I think a 3 piece 14ft Raven IM8 fits the bill.   I found a place that will be running a promotion on Wednesday, so I've got time before I buy.  Anyone used one of these?  

The Raven IM8 is a decent rod, you won't be disappointed. But cancel the order on the Chinese reel and get a good used centerpin instead. Be patient and keep an eye on fishing sites or eBay for a used Islander, Aurora, Raven or Okuma. The Chinese reels never spin properly and have zero resale value. If you get a good used reel, you enjoy using it way more and if you don't like it, you can always put it on eBay and get your money back.

Well it's ordered and shipped out already, so we'll see.  99% you're probably right and I'll quickly look for a better reel, in which case I'll have one really cool fidget spinner to play with while working.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:19 PM, steellee said:

Yes easily. The 13' I have is actually a 13', 4 pc shimano clarus too. All I did was rewrap the 3 guides on piece #2 in a spiral pattern shifting the line gradually to the bottom guides, the 4th  guide that is on piece #3 makes up the full transition to the line being on the bottom guides. I also cut the cork back from the top and put on a casting reel seat with a nice short foregrip. It probably took an hour or or so all told and I took it off the rod dryer and was fishing with it the next morning. Later on after a few trips I realized the guides were too small and rewrapped the 4-5 last guides with a larger minima style guide much better for winter. The whole thing was basically a project I wanted too try with a gift card I had, a rod on sale, and components I already had laying around. If you do go this route make sure the float rod you choose has medium or low frame guides or you won't get a nice transition or need to rewrap the entire rod.  It does have a time and place but I prefer my 10'6 it's just a much nicer feeling rod.

Hey @steellee,  you mentioned you don't like the 13ft shimano clarus you converted to baitcaster.  Any interest getting rid of it?  I got this bug in my head now, thinking I'd like to pick one up just like you did and do the exact same work on it.  If you're interested, PM me and we can probably negotiate something that leaves both you and me happy.

11 hours ago, corsara said:

Hey @steellee,  you mentioned you don't like the 13ft shimano clarus you converted to baitcaster.  Any interest getting rid of it?  I got this bug in my head now, thinking I'd like to pick one up just like you did and do the exact same work on it.  If you're interested, PM me and we can probably negotiate something that leaves both you and me happy.

Not that I don't like it, it does have a time and place for me on my coldest trips of year I just have other setups I generally prefer. I probably would consider selling except I'm always playing with projects on rods and the top 2 clarus piece fit perfectly in an old abu hell bender noodle bottom section that I had. I redid the bottom section and run this as a 10'  small creek float rod that I enjoy. So really it's like 2 rods in one.     I see clarus come up cheap 60-100 on Kijiji all the time.  It's a easy swap for anyone with a rod building jig. Replace the 3 guides on section #2 with double foot casting guides using fourth that is on #3 section to complete transition. Replacing the sliding rings with a triggerseat helps but could be done down the road. Im all the way in london or I might take that on as a quick project. A decent 13' 2 piece would be easy to transition also. Lots of them available cheap. Streamside, quantum make decent ones cheap off the top of my head.

Well, I do fish my baitcaster with Shimano Clarus 10ft casting rod, but I find it a little too fast action, and a bit stiff overall.  The 4piece 13ft Clarus will be better suited I think.  Already lost one big fish that I think was a laker that was going to be my PB during netting time, my mistake for having drag too tight on the reel and hook popped out, but I can't stop thinking I would've had that fish landed if my rod was a bit more forgiving like most float rods.  Oh well...if you ever want a quick project to exercise your hobby more and beat the winter blues (and to make a few bucks on the side), contact me.  It's easy to send you the money and then I can pick it up, I'm only about 1h20m away from London.

Archived