Fishing line spools

corsara

Whenever I change line on reels for different seasons/conditions/species, I always struggle with finding a proper thing to spool the line on, it's a mess.  So, since 3D design and 3D printing are one of my other personal hobbies besides fishing, I took the 10 minutes and designed this spool.  Printed me 10 of them, extremely useful.  If you have a 3D printer, visit the link and print some yourself :)  Happy fishing, tight lines!

Link with STL file:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2678128

Snap49.jpg
Snap50.jpg

Handy dandy line holder !  Since you have a bunch of them , I would re-spool that line onto another spool to reverse it and have the newer line go on the reel last. I reverse most of my lines to get full use from them . I have been using the large size spools to keep used line .

Just now, smerchly said:

Handy dandy line holder !  Since you have a bunch of them , I would re-spool that line onto another spool to reverse it and have the newer line go on the reel last. I reverse most of my lines to get full use from them . I have been using the large size spools to keep used line .

Haha, beat you to it!  :)  This in the picture is my summer bass drop-shot line with leader, hook and weight on the other end hidden from view by the yellow line.  I had that already removed from the reel and spooled on a piece of cardboard.  Then I printed few of these holders, and spooled it on it, but that reversed it, so I re-spooled it again.  Right now when I'm ready to put it on the reel, I'll just start reeling.

Looks like I'm a little behind the times when it comes to new technology .....I still use a flip phone and dial the numbers  LOL !  My 27" TV is 30 years old , but has a remote to stifle the ads. My 97 Astro has an am/fm radio (all I want) . My "new" printer has been sitting with no ink for 5 years since ink costs more than a new one ....not interested in buying one again after tossing out 2 others after the very short ink supply ran out . 

I have a few plastic rope/wire holders similar to those nice spools you made which could be spooled with line ....think they were buck 99 specials .... I also saw a spool of line taken from a reel to a spool  which was fixed to a cordless drill .  Super fast !   :o   When buying new line , I let the tackle shop fill my spools to the right level .     :Gonefishing:

Heh.. I'm a geek by nature.  Plastic filament to print one of these spools is ~ 20 cents a piece.  :)  software I use is Fusion 360, which is free for non-commercial use.  My printer is a $180 DIY kit from China, after printing some parts for it on it, it prints better than a $3000 printer if I'm careful with the settings and don't rush it. 

So many possibilities with that printer !  while still doing a little taxidermy (fish only) , and depending on the size of the printer , fish bodies could be made , if not too heavy .....It's a big learning curve for sure !   Can it make a J-13 Rapala ??    :D

1 hour ago, corsara said:

Sure, why not :)  I've tried and printed this design in the summer:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:941408  , but never caught fish on it.  Probably because I never gave it enough time.

Kerazy !   I'm sure that quadruple jointed wobbler  will catch fish , especially those nutty bass !   

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, smerchly said:

The possibilities are endless .  Could you do a human head bust of a celebrity for instance ? Then apply paint to make it realistic ?

Yep, actually I've used an old xbox kinnect camera and some freely available software to make a 3d scan of each of my immediate family members, and printed the busts.  Turned out pretty good!  Here's some photos of just a small fraction of the stuff I've designed (most of it but not all) and printed.

Snap34.jpg
Snap35.jpg
Snap36.jpg
Snap37.jpg
Snap38.jpg
Snap39.jpg
Snap41.jpg
Snap42.jpg
Snap43.jpg
Snap45.jpg
Snap46.jpg
Snap47.jpg
Snap48.jpg
Snap49.jpg
Snap50.jpg

9 hours ago, Habs_Fan said:

How does one get into 3D printing

Like any other thing---research, trial & error.  Lookup cheap Anet A8 printers, buy one.  That printer is a kit, by the time you put it together you'll have a good understanding of how it works.  Do your research online too, there's hundreds of thousands of people commenting on that printer alone.  There's a fan page on facebook too, and people are always ready to help if you have a question.  Then go to Thingiverse, download some stuff, run it through Cura slicer (a free program that transforms a 3D file into printer instructions).  When you feel ready, get Fusion 360 and start designing your own stuff.

4 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Curious as to how much the printer materials (plastic threads)cost for that spool.

I can actually tell you precisely.  Printed at 20% infill density (you can go lower to save material since it doesn't really need to be that strong), double walls and quadruple top and bottom layers, the spool needs 41 grams of filament.  After tax, 1kg of filament is under $30, so roughly 3 cents per gram.   So, the spool costed me about $1.20. 

For comparison reasons, the flat spool listed in the fist post of this thread, with the same settings, needs only 8 grams, so cost is like 25 cents.

When I first got into 3D printing, I was worried about filament cost.  Then I quickly discovered that 1kg of filament lasts forever, I can experiment as much as I want and cost never really adds up.  I guess the fact 3D printing is slow in a way prevents you of going bankrupt :)    About 2 years ago I bought 6 spools of filament (6kg) in 6 different colors, since then I've printed hundreds of things, also experimented quite a bit, printed what not, bunch of toys for the kids, even fixed stuff for my swimming pool, also designed this beautiful fountain/jet valve and went through a number of iterations (see it here with video:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2346347), and I still probably have at least half of the 6kg left, never yet finished a spool of filament completely.

• 1 month later...

Archived