MNR - Your Voice Matters - Zone 16

Snags

Did anyone attend one of the first two sessions?  If yes, how was it?  What was discussed?  I am thinking about heading to the London one.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fisheries-management-zone-16-fmz-16

Date/Time Community Address
November 28, 2017
7 – 9 pm
Alliston Nottawasaga Inn Resort & Conference Centre
6015 Highway 89
Alliston, Ontario
L9R 1A4
November 30, 2017
7 – 9 pm
Walkerton Best Western Plus Walkerton Hotel & Conference Centre
10 East Ridge Road
Walkerton, Ontario
N0G 2V0
December 5, 2017
7 – 9 pm
London Best Western Plus Stoneridge Inn & Conference Centre
6675 Burtwistle Lane
London, Ontario
N6L 1H5
December 7, 2017
7 – 9 pm
Burlington Waterfront Hotel Downtown Burlington
2020 Lakeshore Road
Burlington, Ontario
L7R 4G8

I find these meetings usually have an agenda for select groups. Seen it all to often with the ole boys clubs. MNR does not listen anyway...just another dog and pony show as far as I am concerned. Keep things the way they are and add more enforcement...which we all know will not happen when your licence fees goes into the general fund. They make big bucks to make decisions as it is...and even when they do get consultation from outside groups they don't listen...wont be wasting my time that's for sure.

Like most government agencies it all for PR  to show the public they are really interested in our opinions .  It's well known we don't have enough mnr officers to enforce the rules we have now .  There's plenty of $$$ out there from the sale of millions of dollars spent on boats, motors , fishing & hunting gear.....

Certainly a different kind of meeting from what I am used to. It was a pit session to gather info from users of the fishery. They are in the process of developing a management strategy for the zone. We got no big winded speeches. Instead it was a series of round table discussions on what is good/bad, working/not working, what to fix and improve. The MNRF reps were not doing the talking. We were doing the talking. Mind you, anglers and business owners are only 2 stakeholder groups. There are native councils, tourism industry, conservation authorities and municipalities who also have a stake.

As far as L Simcoe goes, they are developing a separate management plan for that watershed.

There was a very heavy representaion from the stream anglers, and I did not recognize anyone else from our area.

BifFish85, that questionnaire is trying to gauge economic impacts of the Great Lakes fisheries in the big water zones like 19 and 20

4 hours ago, bigugli said:

Certainly a different kind of meeting from what I am used to. It was a pit session to gather info from users of the fishery. They are in the process of developing a management strategy for the zone. We got no big winded speeches. Instead it was a series of round table discussions on what is good/bad, working/not working, what to fix and improve. The MNRF reps were not doing the talking. We were doing the talking. Mind you, anglers and business owners are only 2 stakeholder groups. There are native councils, tourism industry, conservation authorities and municipalities who also have a stake.

The letter I sent to them was the parking issue around Simcoe regarding Ice Fisherman. Outside residents have to pay big time, one example is Innisvil Beach.

Residents don't have to pay. Plus There is a few signs that are posted that people don't know about, when it snows there is no parking anywhere on the roads around the lake that says you can park.

They have vultures that drive around ticketing  vehicles  if it happens to start snowing after your out ice fishing and you come in you have a ticket.

I NO longer support anything that concerns Lake Simcoe. The people that live there can keep THEIR LAKE! Stick It where the sun don't shine.

The response I got back was take it up with the municipality.

My very last parking ticket happened at L.Simcoe many years ago (  Keswick -ice derby) . MY back bumper was too close to someones driveway but there was plenty of room for a blind driver !  I sent them the money and said I will never visit there again . Now they slam visitors with parking fees that only deters them from coming back like FF above .

And the trash issue .....I give up !

Parking on the southern parts of L Simcoe are a joke, but the MNRF has no juridiction on the subject of roads and road restrictions. From Keswick, all the way around to Barrie, the streets are either resident only, no parking, or big parking fees. Is it right? No! No better than the privatization of all the beaches around Jackson's Point. 

8 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

The letter I sent to them was the parking issue around Simcoe regarding Ice Fisherman. Outside residents have to pay big time, one example is Innisvil Beach.

Residents don't have to pay. Plus There is a few signs that are posted that people don't know about, when it snows there is no parking anywhere on the roads around the lake that says you can park.

They have vultures that drive around ticketing  vehicles  if it happens to start snowing after your out ice fishing and you come in you have a ticket.

I NO longer support anything that concerns Lake Simcoe. The people that live there can keep THEIR LAKE! Stick It where the sun don't shine.

The response I got back was take it up with the municipality.

100% agree...when it comes to stake holders, its all about how they can best fill their pockets at the expense of the resource and nothing else. After trying to organize public fishing events and dealing with local townships, including but not limited to conservation groups. If there is not something in it for them, it can be a difficult challenge. Here is a link to one such example of what a township really thinks of protecting a well known section of the grand River through Fergus and Elora. Anytime a gov agency is in the mix of decisions here is what you can expect. http://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/comments/index.cfm?articleID=36132  The all mighty dollar is what its really about !!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, DaveC said:

100% agree...when it comes to stake holders, its all about how they can best fill their pockets at the expense of the resource and nothing else. After trying to organize public fishing events and dealing with local townships, including but not limited to conservation groups. If there is not something in it for them, it can be a difficult challenge. Here is a link to one such example of what a township really thinks of protecting a well known section of the grand River through Fergus and Elora. Anytime a gov agency is in the mix of decisions here is what you can expect. http://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/comments/index.cfm?articleID=36132  The all mighty dollar is what its really about !!!!!!!!

Thanks DaveC

I new I shouldn't have clicked on your link, taking another nerve pill :wacko::):D

We had a few great guys that volunteered to run one day fish derby's at pier 4 in Hamilton.

Pay out was only a few bucks, was great for meeting a few friends, getting kids out, food trucks would be there.

The city of Hamilton put a stop to it because they wanted the organizer to pay for permits, insurance, have meetings with the city to have permission. 

Little to say, no more fun derby's.

But if it was putting a few bucks in the city's councilors pockets, no problem.

I guess they don't know what volunteer means, doing something good for nothing but a thank You.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, Fish Farmer said:

Thanks DaveC

I new I shouldn't have clicked on your link, taking another nerve pill :wacko::):D

We had a few great guys that volunteered to run one day fish derby's at pier 4 in Hamilton.

Pay out was only a few bucks, was great for meeting a few friends, getting kids out, food trucks would be there.

The city of Hamilton put a stop to it because they wanted the organizer to pay for permits, insurance, have meetings with the city to have permission. 

Little to say, no more fun derby's.

But if it was putting a few bucks in the city's councilors pockets, no problem.

I guess they don't know what volunteer means, doing something good for nothing but a thank You.

Yes, your 100% on all that. We run a small flyfishing club and to host a tournament is one major pita. We had to have a 5 million dollar insurance bond freeing County of brant from all liability to fish a fun tournament on the grand with about 15 people. Jump hoops, and letters sent around to the local residents for their permission and input to use the grand river from our own personal boats and canoes. We also had to obtain all sorts of permits as well. Same scenario on the upper grand river. Seems like these rivers belong to a select group of people and you need their permission as well or expect to be frowned upon. We needed a permit to use a public park for access to the river, because we are a club and running a not for profit tournament.  A release waiver is not sufficient enough apparently. Money involved with everything...and the city and local townships want their piece or its not happening. That's what I'm saying about a voice....you really don't have one, and your talking to deaf ears unless you belong to one of the OLE BOYS clubs that its built around. 

Archived