Centerpinning during the winter

corsara

Getting really excited about getting my first centerpin rig soon, and at the same time regretful I didn't do it earlier.  Cold weather and fact you need hands on the reel---how do you deal with negative temperatures?  Perhaps there's some magical trick I didn't think of.

For your hands a thin pair of gloves are really your only option.  The hand you reel with can have a bigger glove on it but the hand you hold the spool with, a thin glove so you can still feel the spool.  There’s not really anything warm about centerpinning in the winter.  Your gloves easily get wet or your hooks are sticking to them when trying to put a bag on.  When your hammering fish you don’t feel the cold anyways. On those skunk days you wish you stayed home.  Maybe get some hand warmers to heat your hands every so often. 

Oh well, I went to Sail during my lunch break and bought the last 14 feet Raven IM8 with sliding rings.  They have a "free gift card" event going on starting today, so I got a $50 gift card with my purchase of the rod.  Left it in the car and went back to spend my gift card (how could I resist not tot!).  So, I bought Simms ExStream Foldover Mitts (https://www.simmsfishing.com/exstream-foldover-mitt.html).  Good reviews on many sites.  Felt really nice on my hands.   We'll see how this whole centerpinning will go for me, but perhaps that could be my solution for the cold weather.

2 hours ago, toaster said:

bare hands, or cheap dollar store gloves and cut fingers off.  winter fishing separates the men from the boys.

Those $60  Simms gloves are nice , but I'm a chevy guy ...... 60 pair of cheapies from the dollar store is more my style  lol

How about a picture of your set up corsara ?  And good fishing with that new rod !   :Gonefishing:

On 12/6/2017 at 7:34 PM, smerchly said:

Those $60  Simms gloves are nice , but I'm a chevy guy ...... 60 pair of cheapies from the dollar store is more my style  lol

How about a picture of your set up corsara ?  And good fishing with that new rod !   :Gonefishing:

I was very hesitant about the gloves, I'm not used to pay such money for things like that, I don't buy expensive clothes, Walmart is my best friend (already happily married for a beautiful wife, so no need to look stylish anymore, haha).  But with the gift card in hand, and knowing I have no proper gloves, imagining how I'll be at the river one cold day and wishing I had spent the gift card on those gloves, I decided to buy it.

As for setup, here it is, in the brown bag:

[...]

Don't have a reel yet.  I ordered this $50 from one of those Chinese sites, waiting to receive it.  If it turns out to be garbage, I'll buy something name-brand.  Some people say to stay away from those reels, but then there are other who thought they are decent.  So we shall see.

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

Would those long rods with small eyes be a problem icing up Tyler ? And would you be using mono ?

Yes I’ll be using mono on my pin.  The iced up eyes you can’t realy get around. You can use some paste/oils but in the end the ice will be there.   Jus gotta battle the winter conditions 

I have a cool usb hand warmer that I keep in my pocket, but it only works for a few hours. I cant stand any type of gloves..tried them all, but cheap cotton gloves are ok until your pulling the thread apart with hooks or they get wet. Tried the hand warmers inside my jacket sleeves as they say if you keep your wrists warm helps with frozen hands...just a pita though. Frozen hands it is most times. One thing I find very usefull in the winter is my loop fleece neck collar, never leave home without it. 

Stick your hands in the water! Haaa! I spoke with someone who had on thin cotton gloves with latex gloves over top of them. The idea is to keep the cotton close to the skin and the latex to trap the heat in while allowing the dexterity to still tie hooks etc... He swore by it but said getting the fit just right was imperative.

20 minutes ago, bobert said:

Stick your hands in the water! Haaa! I spoke with someone who had on thin cotton gloves with latex gloves over top of them. The idea is to keep the cotton close to the skin and the latex to trap the heat in while allowing the dexterity to still tie hooks etc... He swore by it but said getting the fit just right was imperative.

I have tried that myself  ,but as you said getting the right combo fit is the key .  I use Dollar store garden gloves for many tasks . They have little grippers on them and I cut out the tip at the thumb & index finger  to bait the hook . They are toast when wet , so keep a couple extra pair in the bag .

Looks like we will be needing that paste this coming week ahead !

Now that I have the rod, I'm tired of waiting for the $50 reel to come from China (it's been 3-4 days already ;)  ).  I'll buy a reel from here to either use in the weekend or the very least practice casting in my backyard.  Don't want to spend crazy money.  What's a good cp reel among the cheaper name-brands (obviously none will be as good as a kingpin, just asking what I should look for that will be somewhat acceptable).  The $50 reel will remain as a spare.

Join this group on faceook, always lots for sale there or post an ad of how much your looking to spend  (River Rats - Classified ads for Float Fishing/Centre Pin/Fly Fishing)

1 minute ago, DaveC said:

Join this group on faceook, always lots for sale there or post an ad of how much your looking to spend  (River Rats - Classified ads for Float Fishing/Centre Pin/Fly Fishing)

Will join it, thanks for the suggestion.

...I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to buying equipment though.  Since I always take excellent care of the things I have, I'm always hesitant buying used stuff as I do not believe all people care about equipment with the same standards.   Right now looking at Okuma Raw II, which I can get new for $225 + tax.  Another one I'm considering is Okuma Sheffield DR II, which also has a drag system, for $350 + tax.  The whole attraction to CP for me is not the opportunity for hero drifts---I can achieve that with my baitcaster just as well, I think.  I'm attracted to fighting the fish with no drag system, but relying on my palm only.  For that reason alone I think I'm inclining towards the Okuma Raw II.   Any thoughts?  Is this a good entry-level reel?

Well, ended up with a Raven Matrix Fully Ported reel.  Felt really nice in my hands and couldn't resist.  Spooled with dacron backing and 300 yards of 10lb bloodrun main line.  Time to learn how to cast this baby.

Ok, I've got a problem.  This 14ft rod doesn't balance well with this reel.  It's a bit tip-heavy, even with the reel at the end of the cork (sliding rings).  Anyone tried putting weights in the butt section of the rod?  Any ideas?

Can you link to the Chinese version?

I just ordered some plastics and an assortment of junk ... order 1 (non fishing stuff) was all stuff that I got what I paid for.  Quality was subpar, but the price per item made was exceptonally reasonable and free shipping.  I figure retail I would have paid 280 for everything ordered, but the price I paid was about 85.  So I figured time to try fishing gear and see on the quality.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:12 PM, Snags said:

Can you link to the Chinese version?

I just ordered some plastics and an assortment of junk ... order 1 (non fishing stuff) was all stuff that I got what I paid for.  Quality was subpar, but the price per item made was exceptonally reasonable and free shipping.  I figure retail I would have paid 280 for everything ordered, but the price I paid was about 85.  So I figured time to try fishing gear and see on the quality.

Yeah sure, hope I'm not violating some rule on this board (Admins, really sorry if I do, pls delete this post if that's the case).

[...]

Free time to go fishing can't come sooner.  After work as it was already getting dark, I practiced a bit of casting in my backyard.  I jumped straight to using the gloves I bought and attempting the Wallis cast.  I gotta say it worked much better than I expected for a first time touching a centerpin.  There is hope!

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

If you start getting crazy line twist, take some off every few times you go out. Might save some head aches. 

Which is why I decided to learn Wallis cast from the beginning, it shouldn't be causing line twist. Hopefully. 

7 hours ago, corsara said:

Which is why I decided to learn Wallis cast from the beginning, it shouldn't be causing line twist. Hopefully. 

Good thinking, get that cast down and youll be good for line twist. I always opt for slip floats for that reason as well even when I have it in a fixed position with stoppers so its not spinning and putting line twist in your mainline. I don't know much about the Wallis cast, as I'm a typical side caster...but much like a bait caster I believe a bigger float with more weight makes it easier...at least in the learning stage. 

Archived