Centerpinning during the winter

corsara

Well, my first centerpin experience did not go so well.  I couldn't get distance with my poorly executed Wallis cast, and poor distance with single and double loop.  The only way I could make a decent cast was using "off-the-reel" or aka B.C. cast, but I felt it's way too much work.  Glad I had my baitcaster with me, albeit with heavy 15lb p-line setup for throwing lures.  I put a slip float on it, shot line, the 8lb fluoro leader.  1 for 2 in the next hour or so, a decent steelhead.    I feel so comfortable with my casts and drifts with the baitcaster, so after I went home I returned the Raven reel and rod and got my money back.  When I get the Chinese reel next week, if it's any good, I'll buy a cheap rod for it to just have this setup available for slower currents and smaller rivers.  Baitcaster for Niagara is just as efficient in my opinion.  I set the drag extremely lightly, so fish can pull line with the slightest pressure.  When I want to bring it back, I thumb the baitcaster and work it towards me with the rod, then I collect the line.  If fish pulls, it's almost the same as centerpin---let thumb go, so fighting the fish is just as personal as it is with a centerpin, even more difficult because when the drag is set to low tension, you can't just reel in the fish as it doesn't have the power to pull the line.  Now only if I could find a longer baitcasting rod, the one I'm using is 10 ft, wish they were selling longer ones, but I couldn't find any.

Ha!  Just as I posted above message, mailman delivered the Chinese reel, didn't know Canada post delivers on Sundays.  I'll make a video and post it here in an hour, actually feels very good and came with a nice pouch.

longest baitcaster off the shelf that I am aware of is the gloomis 11.4 imx.  super light rod w lots of backbone for fighting fish.  but it doesn't come cheap.  after that you are talking custom rods which likely isn't cheap either.

Good video displaying the reel ....very quick delivery considering it traveled half the planet !  Why no tax ? That's odd , considering our government taxes everything we buy here , sometimes twice . This would be the cheaper way to go if one wants to delve into center pin fishing to see if it's for them .  Buying direct from China seems to be catching on ....eliminating all the middle men . It may be the future way we do most of our shopping . Our goods come from there anyway .....

Hope to see more about this reel in action .

Archived