Tim Horton

smerchly

....would roll over in his grave to see this news ..... If it's true , I will certainly not spend another dime there ....I have $4.15 left on my Tim card so I'll spend it since it's paid for . I hope the "alternative" coffee shops don't pull this on their staff  as well . The last alternative is ....I have a nice thermos bottle !    BTW,  this is somewhat fishing related ...:read:

http://torontosun.com/news/national/tim-hortons-franchise-owned-by-kids-of-founders-to-cut-paid-breaks-benefits-over-ont-minimum-wage-hike-report/wcm/163fd5e3-1f85-4167-ace2-e6d0684e4c37#comments

It’s unfortunate but it’s not uncommon. I work a 9.5 hour day and only get paid for 9 of it. Lunch break is unpaid. (We do get 2 paid coffee breaks though, but they are not legally obligated to provide them for us). And most places now have to pay a portion of their benefit packages as well. We pay 50% of our benefits package. It’s all signs of the times. No more well paying long term jobs anymore. If we want a good price at the cash register, and higher wages we will pay for it some other way unfortunately. 

When I worked at GM we had a  paid 15 min. lunch break when on 3 shifts on an 8 hr. shift . When working 1 or 2 shifts we had 30 minutes unpaid  .

Ten yrs. ago Tim Horton employees got a raise in the min.wage to $10 per hr.  For 2018 it is $14 per hr......a whole $4 raise in 10 years , or 40 cents per year .

...one remark from the public then.....

http:// April 8, 2008 at 4:50 pm Jaz, I noticed the same thing…Everytime minimum wage goes up they raise their prices! That’s why raising min. wage to ten bucks will do little to help those making minimum wage…even though it is good on paper. It basically just boils down to greed and those making the big bucks’ ability to objectify people (their workers, those growing the beans in other countries etc).

If you work for Toyota earning $30 per hr . & get a 10% raise , you would get $3.00 per hr. more

If you make $10 per hr. ,  10% more will pay  $1 .....That is how the rich get richer basically & how millionaires are now billionaires .They simply jack up the prices , & the governments get more money both ways ....from the employees raise & more taxes on the higher priced goods goods. Great deal eh ?

Timmies makes billions in profits ....need to please the shareholders . They could simply raise the coffee price a dime or shrink the lousy doughnuts again . They are getting some very negative comments I see......

Do we still have Country Doughnuts , Doughnut Diner ?   It's nice to spend a few hours on the ice , then stop in for a coffee & snack , then give it another go on the ice .  MacD's make a decent coffee now , & I'll be sure to try Homestead's brew very soon .....

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Heard on CHCH news this morning the letter was not even on Tim Horton's letterhead, me smells a fake and someone stirring the pot and looking for their 10 minutes of fame. I call a hoax.

Do you mean that Tim H. is not cutting their staffs benefits etc ?  Wynne has denounced them for it ......She "wins" both ways ...higher income ,more income tax...higher prices , more hst ...

Others are doing the same or raising prices immediately ....like Sunset Grill , Subway .....The min.wage workers didn't get a penny raise for years while the rents, hydro , food , etc etc etc have increased . They deserve to get a raise too . It would have been better to give them a cost of living allowance every year,  just to keep up to inflation.

Bottom line for customers (us) .....keep buying or boycott . Then we will see how well these businesses are doing ..... My $4 Tim Card will now go in the garbage ....y'all know where I stand .....  :)

The original story was only 2 stores owned by Ron Joyce and his wife, not the entire chain was doing this, sounds fishy .  Retired 9 years now, am I going to get a similar increase in my government pensions or DB pension now that I've fallen below the minimum wage ? or should I just re enter the work force :tease:.  

edit : found this on the propaganda arm of the Liberal Party   http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-horton-s-tims-timmies-doubledouble-minimum-wage-ontario-kathleen-wynne-labour-1.4470215

I think the ones that are cutting employees benefits will change that now.....Head office realized a  bomb was dropped on them and they said it was wrong . Protecting their own skin maybe ?  It could prove very costly !  As I said , the best way to help keep their billion dollar profits is to raise the price a few "cents" . I hope the Horton kiddies enjoying their million dollar vacation in Dubai have a little more common "sense" .......

31 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

I could find reference to this story being false. If you have a link please post it.

It was on CHCH again tonight with no mention of false report.

It was on the morning news, CHCH has a guy from the deGroot School of Business as a regular and  he questioned whether it a real company memo.

The story is true.

Tim Horton's stores are owned by franchisees and not the big corporate chain.  Franchises are designed to make the corporation money, not the owners of the individual franchises.  This is about an individual store owner taking matters into their own hands to ensure their bottom line is profitable.  Speaking with a franchise owner (not timmies, but fast food), they were in awe at how little money they had at the end of the year, their agreement required them to purchase the ingredients for the food produced through the head office ... sure a tomato could be got at the store for 50 cents ... but they had to pay 75 cents because the tomato came approved by the head office and sliced specifically to their rules.  I would imagine Tim Horton's is very similar with everything. 

Also, as each store is owned independently from the head office, it is the individual store owners who must pay the employees and give them benefits and such, not Tim Hortons.  Tim Hortons pricing is also controlled by the head office, hence why the pricing is the same on Clifton Hill as it is in downtown Toronto or Sudbury.

Anytime there is a large increase in minimum wage, the costs will have to be offset elsewhere, be it price increases, or cost savings.

So it's the "untouchable" head office ceo's who call the shots , reap all the benefits and get a million dollar raise while each franchise does the dirty work for them . It's the bigwigs ( ceo's ) who dictate what tomato or pepper to use that cause inflation . They fear the word boycott and sometimes it's the only avenue left for the working stiffs.  When workers keep getting the shaft it's no wonder they look into joining unions . They are PEOPLE !   I thought they abolished slavery years ago .

So....when will Tim Horton's bring in the coffee robots ?   :rolleyes:

Here's the problem with this whole Tim Horton's thing...

It's the franchisee who puts up hundreds of thousands of their own dollars to open a store. That franchisee has to pay every month to use the Tim Horton's name. That franchisee has to buy the product from corporate at a set price. That franchisee has to pay the employees from the profits they make at a set price. That franchisee has to pay for the benefits, uniforms, etc. of its employees. 

This whole story is  so misdirected it's retarded. The corporation isn't making or losing money on this, it's the individuals who have spent hundreds of thousands if not millions of their own dollars to open and run a store who are getting screwed. Like it or not, working at Tim's or any other fast food restaurant is not a "skilled" position, it's an entry level position. When an individual starts a company, they take risk, they believe they can make enough profit to outweigh that financial risk. Nobody ever talks about the additional money the employer has to pay  to the government when wages go up. An extra dollar an hour to the employee is more than that to the employer.

My suggestion to all those who feel that a higher minimum wage is better would be to start your own business sinking your entire life savings into it and then sit back and think of how great it is to take all that financial risk while giving employees all of your profit. Drop the half million to open it and then make sure that your unskilled employees make as  much as you do.

Get mad at Tim Horton's all you want but the only people you are hurting in reality are those who have taken the risk to open a store, hire and pay employees, the employees you think have it tough.

Good reply corey , makes sense . Perhaps the governments need to revise how the corporate pigs treat their franchises . If these franchises were forced to close , the corporate big wigs wouldn't get a dime from closed shops . 

Every hard working person deserves some help when they are forced to stretch their meager pay check more every year to keep food on the table & pay for the increasing hydro bills etc etc etc . Instead of waiting for4- 5 years to give the employee a "catch up " raise , a simple annual cost of living raise would not be as shocking to small business . The employee would not actually be getting more "spending money" , just keeping up to the bills .

One consolation to small business is if the min.wage people have a few more bucks to spend , they will benefit . They might even stop in at Timmies for a coffee . :)

I'm a GM retiree and on a 40 hr. basis my pensions  all add up to about $18 per hr ...only $3 over min.....but my house is paid off , no sweat ...

I think there is going to be many problems ahead .  E.G. ...looking at the garbage pickup guys working in the frigid cold or extreme heat for $16 per hr. ,or others who have jobs they hate ......they will look for jobs that pay the same min.wage elsewhere .

In Timmies case ,  it's time for the corporate pigs to give their franchises a break .....before they lose a good chunk of their previous loyal customers .

You're missing the point. These are entry level unskilled positions. If people want to make a better living they need to work their way up to a better position. I flunked out of college (sort of) after 1.5 years. I was working at Harvey's for minimum wage, like 6 bucks an hour. Now I live very comfortably because I worked my butt of to learn some skills and get paid well for them now.

The corporation itself doesn't care about wages, it's not their problem. The corporation makes money via the monthly franchise fee and the sale of the materials to the stores. The wages and benefits are all on the individual store owners who have to pay this out of the difference between what they buy the product for and what they sell it for. These are the people who risked their money to open the store and who are responsible to pay the running costs. The corporation doesn't "cover" a store owner who has a bad month or year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that an extra dollar per hour is more than that to the store owner. When an employer pays an employee they also pay a percentage to the government so $1 more is like $1.20 more to the business. If you figure 4 employees during slow hours and 20+ during busy hours, you average about 10 employees per hour of the day. That's an extra $12 per hour in operating costs. Almost $300 per day, Over a year that is $100,000 that the store owner has to pay out of his pocket. This doesn't cut into corporate revenue, it cuts into the guy who has invested his life savings into this one storefront.

If you paid a million dollar to open a franchise restaurant and were paying over a million dollars per month in costs (fees, product, taxes, utilities, etc) and you were making $250,000 a year in profit, how would you feel about the government deciding to give 40% of you income  away to unskilled people with not a single penny invested in your business that you have invested millions into?  

Just for clarity, I have no interesting in any business. I am just looking at this from a logical perspective knowing that all the hatred towards the tim horton's corporation is simple ignorance of how the franchise system works.

Minimum will go up to $15  in 2019 . That may force some shops to close . Yet , they say that a living wage should be $17 !   I haven't seen any info about raising the price of the coffee . Can each Timmies dictate their own prices ??  Another dime per cup & 10% more on food should pay for the new rate if the corporate bosses allow it . It would still be far cheaper than Starbucks .  Tim Horton Corporation headquarters stated they would help their franchises to stay in business . They lose out as well if a franchise fails .  As far as Wynne goes ....it's a 'win -win' for her ...more tax on the wages and lots more tax $$$  on the price increases of our goods in all stores.  She can also give the businesses a tax break , but don't hold your breath ......We , the customer get screwed too .

Of course the customer gets screwed. I'll bet by the end of this year 80% of restaurants raise their prices because of this. 8 of the 10 provinces have a minimum wage of $10 per hour. Raising prices for a national/international company means screwing over the people in provinces with a lower minimum wage as well as this may make tim's coffee unaffordable to them.

Speaking of Wynne... she is proposing free prescription coverage for people under 25... a ridiculously high minimum wage, which primarily benefits young people as they move into the working world, let's say a lot of people under 25. Now... what is the majority base of liberal supporter/voters? ya... the people under 25. All of this is a ploy to keep the voter base they have. Along with the handouts given to immigrants the liberals are securing their re-election.

and ......legalizing Mary Jane  for "wreck" creation which appeals more to the younger folks .....I think  :wacko: .... $$$ chinga ching$$$  .

So ......there's a new kid in town !!   Where's that coffee drinking emoticon ?? .....  After a cold escape from the ice at Peurto Dahouloozee ,  I checked out the new java shop ... "Homestead" .  Coffee was a little too hot for the frozen lips , and bought my first long john in many years complimented the coffee ! Prices are on par with the Hortons .  Nice to fish Rennie & grab a coffee/snack at will .

edit..... It's getting nastier as some Tim shops are being picketed .....feel sorry for the employees caught in the crossfire . Time will tell the $$$ damage done  to their reputation & bottom line.   Taking tips away from employees is really low .......

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Hortons sent me an email today about their new app  & asked me to sign up for it .   I sent them a reply  & thanked them for the offer , but informed them I was a member of UNIFOR , local 199 , & I have stopped patronizing their shops until they come to a proper settlement with their workers and franchises .  In today's paper , 50 protests are planned across Canada . It's been long enough for head office to repair the bad PR but they don't seem to care .

I'm happy to get my java/munchie fix at Homestead and McD's now .......:wub:...:Gonefishing: 

• 2 weeks later...

Long before this min.wage increase the major stores hiked their prices every year & replace goods with cheaper made stuff from China , and downsize quantities . How about those  6 buck Rap jigs now at 9 bucks ?  They also know technology will take over thousands of jobs & people love to use their phones to eliminate more jobs .  More people are buying on line now & buying direct from China will be the future way to save bucks ......delivered by drone to your door .

Those raises will always be eaten up by the corporate piggys.....

Welcome to the "future"   :)

Archived