coyotes

gunner-2

1 minute ago, duck&wine said:

I know people who have put a camera at the edge of their property near a coyotes' den (which was located on another individuals property) and they were shocked how many deer where being brought back on a weekly basis.   This is where all the fawns go.  yotes these days are big, bold, hungry and there are tons of them.  Trapping is likely the only solution at this point as shooting will only get so far.  MNR are off target with many things hunting related these days. This is where our reporting as hunters is really important.

I don't think there has ever been a study done in Niagara on the coyote population ... there have been studies in the past on deer population (Shorthills specific I think), but I have never heard of any studies looking towards coyotes OR EVEN beavers which are taking down plenty of trees in Niagara to the point where I think we might be overpopulated with those critters. 

When I was living in the greater Welland area ... in the summer you could hear them every night on the outskirts of the city.  I have heard them when I have been out fishing at night in most of Niagara, and hiking to spots I have found enough of their scat around.  Hell I was once walking along one of the major roads in St Kitts and my friend goes "look, someones German Sheppard is out walking on its own" ... told them the owner must have jogged by us ... but it was definitely not a German Sheppard ...

21 hours ago, Snags said:

I don't think there has ever been a study done in Niagara on the coyote population ... there have been studies in the past on deer population (Shorthills specific I think), but I have never heard of any studies looking towards coyotes OR EVEN beavers which are taking down plenty of trees in Niagara to the point where I think we might be overpopulated with those critters. 

When I was living in the greater Welland area ... in the summer you could hear them every night on the outskirts of the city.  I have heard them when I have been out fishing at night in most of Niagara, and hiking to spots I have found enough of their scat around.  Hell I was once walking along one of the major roads in St Kitts and my friend goes "look, someones German Sheppard is out walking on its own" ... told them the owner must have jogged by us ... but it was definitely not a German Sheppard ...

I'm seeing more and more things out of balance in Niagara since I was a kid (and I'm just shy of 40).  One thing I do like to see though is the return of bald eagles and peregrine falcons.  That is a great story.  Aside from the coyote issue the other thing where there needs to a major cull is the damn cormorants.  They are decimating habitats and food supplies and no one does a bloody thing about it.

14 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

I saw a fox running down my street in Welland on Saturday. I have never seen a fox in Welland before. I am near the river but not really near the edge of town.

We have a pair of big red foxes at my parents property near point abino.

Red fox is another animal taking a hit from the coyotes it's the can be a nuisance for farmers with the free range chickens or ducks but over all not a real big threat unless they have rabies 

they do seem to be making a come back in a small way duck&wine the cormorants are a big problem and last summer there was talks about taking them out but i haven't heard any thing else about it they are destroying every thing around them but lets just keep protecting them Gull Island just out from Rock point was a great place for bass i haven't caught a bass there in years the cormorants have to be eating a lot of the young fish

2 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Red fox is another animal taking a hit from the coyotes it's the can be a nuisance for farmers with the free range chickens or ducks but over all not a real big threat unless they have rabies 

they do seem to be making a come back in a small way duck&wine the cormorants are a big problem and last summer there was talks about taking them out but i haven't heard any thing else about it they are destroying every thing around them but lets just keep protecting them Gull Island just out from Rock point was a great place for bass i haven't caught a bass there in years the cormorants have to be eating a lot of the young fish

Yup.  True about the fox and I would love to just have open season on those cormorants.  The amount of bait and young fish they consume is unreal.

Guest brookie slayer

Yep...and all the trees and shoreline vegetation that get destroyed as well...next time your on the Parkway in the summer from chippawa to fort Erie took a look..it's brutal....and they also do a number on my minnow spots ?

12 hours ago, duck&wine said:

Yup.  True about the fox and I would love to just have open season on those cormorants.  The amount of bait and young fish they consume is unreal.

I was at tims this morning and was watching a big flock of  what looked like geese till they got closer and it was wave after wave of cormorants how can they not see the damage these birds are doing.As i said before out at Gull Island there use to be a breeding ground for many ducks you go there now and the island looks black these things are standing on top of each other they deemed it bird sanctuary but the only thing out there is cormorants and a few gulls not much of a paradise for most birds

11 hours ago, brookie slayer said:

Yep...and all the trees and shoreline vegetation that get destroyed as well...next time your on the Parkway in the summer from chippawa to fort Erie took a look..it's brutal....and they also do a number on my minnow spots ?

For sure where ever they are nothing lives grass /trees/ and fish they all die

• 1 month later...
On 2018-02-26 at 4:22 PM, Snags said:

You know exactly who would be recruited to do that study. Coyote Watch Canada is extremely bias and paints the coyote as a harmless victim in sheep's clothing. They'd be sure to sku the numbers to make them look threatened. Their determination pays off. The rest of us don't have the kind of time to deal with coyotes that is needed to rival that group. Simply put coyotes are a recycler we need but we still can't just ignore them. When they start taking pets and livestock we have to be allowed to defend ourselves and don't think sending a message to the rest of them isn't heard. 

2 hours ago, Dan Andrews said:

You know exactly who would be recruited to do that study. Coyote Watch Canada is extremely bias and paints the coyote as a harmless victim in sheep's clothing. They'd be sure to sku the numbers to make them look threatened. Their determination pays off. The rest of us don't have the kind of time to deal with coyotes that is needed to rival that group. Simply put coyotes are a recycler we need but we still can't just ignore them. When they start taking pets and livestock we have to be allowed to defend ourselves and don't think sending a message to the rest of them isn't heard. 

Well said Dan 

I believe we need to shoot them all ! I've had coyotes following me out of the bush when recovering a deer at dark.i live along the canal and they run across the highway right up the middle of the road in the night to another bush and when they get a kill they make a heck of a racket .I seen at least 8 one night together. I ve only been able to kill two in my deer and turkey spot but usually a gut 

piledoesn't last the night.

Archived