Hello to all. First post

coldmiser

Happy Hard Water Season to all. Got out for 1st time on recreational canal in Welland. Shout out to Freddyfisher (Hope I remembered your handle). Had a great time and found out about this board from him.  Fished together for a few hours. 4 keeper perch (10-11"), 13 large bluegills and 30 or so dinks. Ended up with 1.5 lbs. fillets. Looking forward to more action.  See you out there. Good fishing to all. 

Nice intro coldmiser ......I'm going to follow you out there  !  Like "Freddyfisher" , I told 2 guys yesterday to check out NFN ( but don't listen to the nut job Smerchly) ....TFN ...."the fishing disease) .  It's good to know the fish are (were) still there .....maybe the rank smell of the maggots turned their crank !  No smelts ?

Hi Smerchly.  No smelt but marked fish at 15' ( don't think they were crappie) on the Vex. In years gone by had good luck off off Starch plant dock across from end of point in Dain City. 

Usually 18'"under ice. Any tiny hook/jig with strip of smelt flesh 1/2X1/4" or maggots. Strip good for 10+ fish. Just lift up and lay on ice, they let go, back in. Great for the kids.Hope this helps. 

2 minutes ago, coldmiser said:

Hi Smerchly.  No smelt but marked fish at 15' ( don't think they were crappie) on the Vex. In years gone by had good luck off off Starch plant dock across from end of point in Dain City. 

Usually 18'"under ice. Any tiny hook/jig with strip of smelt flesh 1/2X1/4" or maggots. Strip good for 10+ fish. Just lift up and lay on ice, they let go, back in. Great for the kids.Hope this helps. 

Shades of Remi's Bend ....smelts just under the ice .  Funny , they are 25' -30' down at Dain City .  I have used smelt eye balls for bait  . Small strip of a smelt belly works too .  ......speaking of smelt .....:wub:

4 hours ago, coldmiser said:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. FYI. I was using a the smallest buckshot (3/8 oz.?) in gold finish with a 2" dropper and #8  treble with 2-3 maggots. Fish were rising up to hit it. 29' of water, 20 yds from east bank. Good fishing

They make them all the way down to 1/16 oz! Definitely my favourite lure on ice

38 minutes ago, coldmiser said:

Hey Fredfisher. Sorry about screwing up your handle. I think I have partztimers. Had a great time too.  Soon as it gets cold we'll have to get out again. Thinking Simcoe or St . Williams if Lake Erie doesn't lock up. Later man.

When you reach the 70's the partztimers  will be more noticeable coldmiser . We know who Fred is here ....You can call him Frederick , Freddy , Freddly , but not Freida ! 

BTW FRED .....haven't seen you on the ice yet ......maybe spud my way at Rennie tomorrow . I think 8" of ice should hold my 245 lb. massive body afloat !

Welcome to the forum ,coldmiser, lots and lots of knowledge on here , welcome from all the people from NFN. ,This might get your guy's blood pumping. tis the season.  leaving a cisco or a huge chubb on the bottom can pay off, if you have the patience ! this is the same way I have been schooled since I was little to catch the old winter lakers up north! 

Hi NiagaraRiverFisher. Old school eh! Fed a lot of folks, 'specially in hard times.Still use 'em when things are tough. Do you remember the old air plane style tip-ups used on Lake Erie with the one ounce wire spreaders. Jumbo's used to hammer them. Flipping the tip-ups over with a vengeance. Ever catch ling (burbot) while waiting for the trout? Best eating ever. See out there. Good luck and be safe. 

hey coldmiser...im off tomorrow so im going to try canal@broadway tomorrow if your around.did you get out today?the bite HAS to be on now..this site https://www.fishingreminder.com/ says its a four star day friday.....

FF

(i cant post on pm  from my phone so i dont post weekends,i can view though...weird)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi NiagaraRiverFisher. Old school eh! Fed a lot of folks, 'specially in hard times.Still use 'em when things are tough. Do you remember the old air plane style tip-ups used on Lake Erie with the one ounce wire spreaders. Jumbo's used to hammer them. Flipping the tip-ups over with a vengeance. Ever catch ling (burbot) while waiting for the trout? Best eating ever. See out there. Good luck and be safe. I still carry an "old style" wooden tip-up with me but with lighter line and terminal tackle than my grandfather used to use. There's something about seeing the tip up wiggle a couple times before nose diving for the hole that keeps me using it when the conditions are right.

Archived