Ice conditions

arex

Snowing in Hamilton now ,  going to get cold again , hoping the ice tightens up quickly . The murky runoff in some spots will soon clear up and hopefully the fish will be on the prowl for the goodies in the current flow .

On 1/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, Centre_Pin_Assasin said:

Perhaps a first outing after this past warm up not be done with children in tow! I'd stay away for a few more days for it to harden back up! 

Good idea ....A few days ago the ground in my yard was frozen solid & heaved up in many spots ....then down came the rains & washed it all away ....and out came the worms  again !  Then , in flew the arctic air yesterday & brought us all the snow .  While making some pathways for our short -assed dog  I noticed the lawn is still soft & spongy .  This is what a fast dump of snow does to the ice as well  ....insulates !   So tread lightly people , there could be soft spots anywhere .

Not worth a gamble or anyone's word on ice conditions for a fish...be sure of the conditions through reliable sources.

I haven't been in dunnville this weekend but i drove through cayuga and the ice on the river was all busted up that's the upper grand river if the lower river in dunnville looks the same as the upper it's not very nice

28 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

I haven't been in dunnville this weekend but i drove through cayuga and the ice on the river was all busted up that's the upper grand river if the lower river in dunnville looks the same as the upper it's not very nice

The OPP had posted a warning to stay away from the Grand on Friday due the heavy flooding and ice shifting. I think it would take a few days for things to settle down. I had seen the video and it was not pretty.

According to the flow charts there is a huge amount of water still to come. Brantford flow is dropping now. Last night it was flowing over 1000 cubic meters per second. Thats about 30 times normal flow! It's going to take a while for that to make it's way to dunnville because most of the river is locked shore to shore with thick ice. The next few days could be wild in the Cayuga to dunnville section of river. I would love to see drone footage of the ice jams and flooding that will happen.

7 hours ago, Lundtastic said:

Lake Erie isn't safe either they helicoptered off 6 fishermen;  Sturgeon yesterday. WOW. Gear? Goodbye. At least the ice was thick enough for the bird to land on.

That's why you don't fish with an offshore wind when there is open water beyond the ice edge. Idiots. Hope they have to pay for their rescue as well.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Smelt_Fishy said:

Ice going to be good for tomorrow. Hoping to bring the kids to the canal and mess with some dinky perch. :)

Ermm I don't know too much about ice or it's conditions mate but it looked a bit 'watery' around 11 this morning, I'd be extra careful with the bin lids ??

• DaveC locked this topic

Archived