Fishing on vacation in the Dominican

Double_Dk

I tried in Cuba ... no luck fishing from the beach in the AM before everyone else was out ... but remember salt water fish are much stronger than their freshwater counterparts so could easily make a mess of your setup.

where are you staying in Samana. We stayed at the bahia  principe .  Great place they have a pier to fish off of.  I never tried but I seen lots of fish swimming around

If I were you I would buy a wallmart special and take with you, then leave it to a kid you see on the beach before you leave it's expensive over there for locals buy a rod and gear. That's what I did and they are very appreciative beyond words. 

2 hours ago, Double_Dk said:

How pricey was that?  I looked into it with trip advisor. Only $300 for 2 hrs!!!!  Ya, out of my price range!

yeah it was really costly to be honest mate but i think we got 4 hours though, still too expensive for what it was.

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Go to the beach and find a local to take you out.  Way cheaper.  

this is a better idea, but to be fair we were staying on a resort and didn't see any local fishing boats.

When I was in Cuba one of the resort staff took me out on a catamaran for aro7nd 50 each ... 2 people ... they provided the rods and bait ... I think it was resort staff on their off time 

... plenty of hits but nothing hooked 

I'm usually flyfishing while i'm down south (i have never been to the DR, I usualy fish Florida, Cuba and Belize) but I always bring a travel spinning rod with me spooled up with 200 yards of 12# test. Bring some knotable 30-40# wire. Bring some 3/8-1/2oz white bucktail jigs; some 3/8-1/2oz jigs with some 4" twister tails (i like rootbeer, and chartuse; some 4/0 or 5/0 worm hooks and 3/8-1/2oz bullet sinkers and texas rig hot pink or chartuse worms (rip these as fast as you can for barracudas), or use these with white 5" plastic shad (bass assasin, etc.). You can jig deeper holes around mangroves for snappers and jacks, walk turle grass or sand flats for bone fiah and cuda. Send me a message if you'd like some additional info.

Cheers,

Jon

I fished with a charter in punta cana, seas were 8-10' was rough. Still got some barracuda , lost marlin. We paid 125US$ each for 4 hours ,was Canadian guy and beer was cold. 

Talked with guys casting off beach using big paddle tail plastics twisters, inline spinners, and crank baits. Like flyjon said bring wire lots of toothy fish in the ocean. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived