NUTS

smerchly

Haven't been fishing lately .....fish either have lock jaw , are too well fed , or  are not home ! 

So , after harvesting some black walnuts this fall I have been busy doing the hard part .....getting the nuts out of those hard shells !  You have to be half nuts to do this because it takes a lot of time & patience to crack them & remove the "meat" .....but well worth the effort in the end ....

They are very nut-tricious , good for the ticker , and tasty .  I use a 4" vice , nut pick & wire nippers .  This took a good hour to get a couple ounces of gold ....

TQEq2FokdFaBoM3NUmu9Qbv4H_mbfNuiLIJRHCE1

....those pliers were made at ETF Tools in St.Catharines where I worked about 55 years ago .....:)

I find the smaller nuts are tougher to crack in the vise . The hard shell looks the same thickness on all nuts .

The squirrels must have strong jaws and tough teeth to crack them open !   I'm going to roast these ones in the oven to see how they taste from the raw form . I found some info on line .....a little avocado oil & fine salt .....eat as is or add to your cookies , etc. 

Years ago we collected hickory nuts , but those trees are long gone .  Much easier to break , but very tedious work to get a cup full !

Archived