"JUMBO'S)

smerchly

I'm curious where the name "jumbo perch" came from .......What makes a perch a JUMBO ?  What I have noticed when looking at pictures posted of jumbo perch , they are verrry preggy .....big  stretched  bellies full of eggs .  I have mounted a few and usually "thin" them out a tad so they don't look like a blow fish .  I have also mounted a 15 " perch that was a male .....a thin jumbo perhaps ?  I also have some concern if we keep taking the big hens full of spawn  we will cause a decline in numbers ? So far , I don't see a decline in Lake Erie , but I don't see many caught locally this winter . The rec.canal is loaded with 4" dinky perch , but where are the "jumbos" ? 

As you can see , I'm house wacky lately .....no fishing .....used the snow blower 3 hr.s three days in a row !   Tomorrow might be a fishing break !!   :Gonefishing:

Well I went to Dain City this morning for a season first day of fishing with my daughter and son-in-law and the only keeper perch I saw were the half-dozen left on the ice by some Saturday fishers. We noticed a bunch of seagulls and crows at a spot that had obviously been used for fishing because of the water all over the ice so I walked over to check it out and found six decent perch left. Thought that odd but decided to fish that area. About half hour later  dude walks out and says they were fishing there yesterday and with all the snow they couldnt find their fish at the end of the day. He took his seagull-ravaged perch and left. First times for everything. At leat there are some decent perch in there.

Good to hear Mark .  Funny story !    There are decent eating size perch there usually ,  and it also good to know all those little bait steeling dinks will soon be large enough to grace our plates & palates .  

Well , it didn't take long .......I asked Mr. Google what a jumbo perch was and I seemed to have found the answer(s) from the Simcoe Fishing Board .....most stated a jumbo perch has to be 12"  ....others said 10"  .....not much said about preggieness .....

1 hour ago, genec said:

Smerchly, it sounds like you've been cooped up in the house FAR too long!!

Get out tomorrow and bore some holes!

YES !  I have gone shack wacky !   Blowing snow in the front , making snow trails for the doggie in the back ,  hunting for dog crap under the snow , chasing squirrels away from the bird feeders , cracking black walnuts for hours .......Bad case of home fever .  :crazy:

Good advise genec ......  hope to decide in the a.m. on a spot to bore a few .   Marth11  is looking for some company ......:Gonefishing: 

Archived