Ice out carping

Tyler0420

Got the itch last week but didn't get it scratched either ...  the main problem is ,   are they even there ? Are they in schools or scattered ? Deep or shallow ?  Are they picky eaters ....how much to chum ?  They have been caught through the ice on minnows !!

Looks like a nice spot for carp Tyler , maybe try bread and peanut butter ....B) 

Ya hard to tell where they are this time of year.  I tried the end of the canal before it opens to the lake.  Maybe I’ll have to feed the waters for the next few days and try again on the weekend. 

A roe bag might work well for carp in the cold water .  Add some float balls as you would for trout and prick a couple of eggs to allow the scent to escape . I'll be sure to add a few to my arsenal next trip ......( as soon as we get a nicer day )

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya hard to tell where they are this time of year.  I tried the end of the canal before it opens to the lake.  Maybe I’ll have to feed the waters for the next few days and try again on the weekend. 

i was going to say maybe bait it for a few days and see how that works good luck tyler0420

I gave it another go for a few hours today ,  using roe bags & oat/corn chum . ...not a frigging touch mates !   Some ice remains in spots , water very clear and COLD ....like my hands & face ....brrr .  The drop offs were easy to spot with the low water level . I think I'll  try some "muddy" water spots next time when it warms up more ...like 10*C plus. 

The  Wall

LPfLfvkpOWnd1AIl2_C4Laiw1tWgGvIRLs-_P5pf

Yes Mike , that wall looks like steel & runs about 100 to120' long . When the water level rises  it will not be clear &, the wall can't be seen . If you hook any large fish that hugs bottom of the wall , your line will be raked & the fish gone . It would be interesting to don a wet suit and have a look at the fishing store at that wall !  Anyone have a sub-drone we could send for a wall trip ? 

I always think of ice out fishing for carp as a new frontier in fishing.  We see that carp can, in fact, be caught 12 months of the year, even though their metabolism slows during the colder months.  Another challenge, of course, is finding open water.

I Hamilton, there are a few spots that are fishable in winter due to warm water discharge coming from water treatment plants but, to be honest, they're places I prefer to avoid.

But, now that we're into March it's great to see the rivers( and river mouths in particular )opening up.  I shall be out there myself soon! 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nothing special just a poullted lake full of carp. 

Do the carp smell like root beer there Tyler ?  :unsure:   We have some of them here in St.Kitts that are probably catch-able now.  I'll wait for a while to try Gibson again after the canal opens up next week for the water to rise and dirty up a bit.  I have a few shallow "brown water" spots to try in the mean time . Hope you nail your first one soon .

On 3/13/2018 at 7:37 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Fished for an hour this evening. Finally started seeing carp in my area.  Seen 5-6 before the wind picked up and rippled the water. So I baited it some more and I’ll be back.  

I bet after a few times baiting your spot things will pic up keep at it i think there will be a fish in your near future good luck keep us posted

I went to do a little ice out carping myself at a spot I had thought would be a great wintering-over spot for them.  Although I was happy to see it was free of ice, I was unhappy to find it was also free of water!   lol   Yup, the dam is obviously wide open and the water is drawn down in the winter to prevent spring flooding( ? ). 

The rest of the morning was spent scouting spots to avoid a similar situation this spring.

• 2 weeks later...

probably been two weeks since ive been out carping.  Show up to my spot and there’s 20 or More fish in the area. I sling shot out some corn and wait around.  Looks like the fish aren’t hungry. 4-5 line bumps later I hook up.  Lost fish, line broke. Should of checked out my set up first.  Couple bumps later and sun almost gone I land My 1st carp of the season. 

9FE058CB-D616-4394-A2AF-9B4558158B3D.jpeg

Good job Tyler .  I've tried to sweet talk them but they ignore me .  I set up a lighter rig on the carp rod today , hope to get out Thursday a.m. for a few hours . ...trying shallow water this time .  On the menu....bread crumbs , peaches & cream corn ,  some Moody Blues music.......B)

Archived