Prices

smerchly

As expected , as I toured C.T. tonight I was amazed at the big price increases throughout the store . They are really taking advantage of the min.wage boost for an excuse to make even greater profits  .  I checked out the fishing /camping dept. ,looking at back packs ,etc. & saw  a  6" Rapala wood handle fillet knife with the cheap plastic sharpener for  $35 plus tax !  I bought mine  10 years ago for $17 plus tax .  The 1" ice raps are now $10 plus tax .....no thanks . The leaf bags which were $2 per 5 bags 3 years ago are now $3 .  Many products have less quantity per pack and other products have been cheaply made with thin plastics designed to break easily .  Don't think I'll be buying much this year .   On a positive note .....IT'S SPRING !!!   :Gonefishing: 

3 hours ago, teedee said:

it seems like the prices of everything has or is going up. Except my pension .  td

We got a 50 cent per month raise on the old age pension .  We can buy a coffee every 4 months .

11 hours ago, bigugli said:

Don't look in the supermarket, Bill!!!    

OH yes , we have noticed Bruce !   And we do a lot of price matching .  When they can still make a decent profit on a can of $12  coffee and have it on sale for half price , we know how much we are being fleeced . Same with stores that drop the price by 70 % on items or knock $300 off a tent .

I bought a smaller belt yesterday...... $6

4 hours ago, tombo said:

Flipp is awsome! A real money saver....

I'm a star customer of the Dollar Store ....get my carp bread & cheap fishing pliers , freezer bags , etc etc .there . I bought about 10 items last week ...all cost $1.25 each, a nice little increase ,but still the best way to save a buck . They need to change the name me thinks ....."The Buck25 Store"  B)

I buy a lot of outdoor stuff at Canadian Tire but only when it is on sale. Those $35 Rapala knives are usually on sale a few times a season for around $10 so you have to shop smart. On another note, I am always looking for a better fillet knife and have spent a fair amount of money on various popular makes but have never been completely satisfied. Most of them including the Rapala are very sharp for the first few fish but lose their edge very quickly and I have never had much luck getting it back to original. With my Lansky I can put a keen edge on any blade but not the fine flexible blades I prefer for filleting. Last year I got a flyer from Cutco knives in Oakville and noticed they now carry a fillet knife. Having had Cutco kitchen knives for years I am extremely impressed with their  sharpness and how long they can hold an edge. I decided to try one at $140 and couldn't be happier. I cleaned hundreds of fish last year and it is still so scary sharp I am almost scared to use it. Like all their knives it comes with a lifetime guarantee against breakage and lifetime sharpening. I mailed 5 of my kitchen knives back to them in Oakville and had them returned to me in 6 days.  It cost me $8 for shipping. The initial price was high but it is the last fillet knife I will ever buy.

Bad news for smokers , beer drinkers ,  vehicle owners ( gas , plates) . ......

Read this one today ....hidden beer tax goes up April 1,  as it does every year . Smokes going up $4 ctn .  License sticker goes up every year ....and gas ....just take a look see !  BC may reach $1.60/liter this summer  . The T.O. Sun explains why our beer is taxed 47% now & rising . This is how we will pay off the huge government debt ??  Maybe this is a good thing.....the voters could be in an ugly mood in June .......:angry2: 

.....or the traffic at the border will increase.......  ;)

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/tax-plan-treats-beer-drinkers-like-april-fools

Guest brookie slayer

$47 Canada to fill my Honda @ 1.21 gas price...

$28 US (36 Canadian) to fill same car +$5 bridge fee + roughly $3 in gas round trip...

So I saved $3 ? Did I count the bridge wait and an arrogant prick border guard?

I know it might be worth it for bigger vehicles but I'll stay in Canada thank you very much.. even though we R getting gouged no doubt..

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Gas will even be worse with the carbon taxes ... what a scam!

We already have eco fees on many products . I bought some tires for my van last week .....I was charged a "stewardship" fee for each tire  . Good thing they call it a "harmonized tax" (hst) , that will work with every new tax added to it . The carbon tax is not popular with other premiers , it may not come to pass .

Trees , wet lands & farm crops eat up a lot of carbon ....too bad we are destroying it in record numbers , replacing it with a population/building explosion ....We got rid of (exported) manufacturing plants , maybe need to ship the rest to the USA or China ?  :huh:

12 hours ago, Snags said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/no-april-fools-joke-canadian-alcohol-taxes-increase-1-5-per-cent-1.3867152

More money for the feds to waste on anything and everything and vacations and costumes for our pathetic puppet leader.

I'm sure they'll lay off once they can tax the pot heads.  That is a whole new market of untapped taxes just waiting to be had. LOL.  Go to the US for some gas and beer.  60 bucks for 3 cases at duty free and pay 11 bucks each for duty.  Have some chicken wings when you are over there. 

I doubt things will get better.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, Lundtastic said:

" I'm sure they'll lay off once they can tax the pot heads.  That is a whole new market of untapped taxes just waiting to be had. LOL."

I'm sure the reservation  weed will be a big hit on that untapped tax  .   B) 

Gas today ( Apr.11 ) has reached $1.34 L  ....what will it be when a barrel of crude hits $100 again ?  As we spend more on energy other business suffers since we have to cut back on spending .  I have cut all 4 magazines,  and the newspaper will be gone shortly . 

Archived