Shore Fishing in Niagara Region

Guest Kalisto

Guest Kalisto

Hi all;

Ok well i'm not that much of a newb, but i've been out of the fishing loop for a while....too long in my opinion :angry:

We are relativily new to the Niagara Region ( well we are right in the Falls ) on the Ontario side and haven't had a chance to get out and find all the fun spots.

We don't have a boat so getting out on the Lake and trolling the river are unfortunatly out for us.

I've heard that BeaverDams Road area is ok for the kids, with lots of action of little to mid sized fish.

I also wanted to give shore fishing the Niagara River a try but dont' know if that is a waste of time or not.

So I guess i'm just looking to the group for a little feedback, not handholding just a couple tacks on the map to get us going in the area :(

Cheers

Kali

Guest vidarling

Hey Kali,

Welcome, I am sure you will find this list very helpful.

I am another that kind of got back into fishing this summer. I usually just look for places where my children (5 and under) are safe and able to catch at least a couple.

We have had luck this year at Merritt Island and around the Aqueduct on the Welland River. It is close to where I am located (Fonthill) and fairly central to the region. Some real nice sized channel cats, perch, sheephead. I have seen quite a few pike caught as well. The local fish and game association has stocked Walleye for a few years but I have yet to latch into one of those.

It is located just off of East Main Street Before you get to the Old Canal Turn right. If you Are coming from the Falls Head down Montrose past the Niagara Square to Schisler, turn right and head into Welland, Schisler turns into East main and will take you right there. It is also good if you have young children as it has an awesome bike path and playset if you children are of that age.

Cheers and be sure to post any results that you may have.

Ian

Guest Kalisto

vidarling and Tommy_Niagara;

Thanks to both of of you...yeah my kids are of that age ( 5 & 3 ) so Meritt sounds good i'll check it out.

tommy, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Now the fun begins...

As for fishing this year, I'm going to try to get out at least a couple more times, 7 day work weeks are currently keeping me from getting much time in.

Cheers

Kali

Guest cplummer

hey kalisto make sure you take the kids in the spring to st.johns park in fonthill for rainbows it's fun and free and less than 30 min drive from niagara

cliff

Guest Steelheader
hey kalisto make sure you take the kids in the spring to st.johns park in fonthill for rainbows  it's fun and free and less than 30 min drive from niagara

cliff

2101[/snapback]

Cliff, what is St. John's park? Stocked pond? I have a friend with a couple of little kids who was asking me about where to take them.

Guest cplummer
Cliff, what is St. John's park? Stocked pond? I have a friend with a couple of little kids who was asking me about where to take them.

2114[/snapback]

yes it's a stocked pond in fonthill and it's free (great for kids)

Guest bigfishbass

there is a sign that says you can keep 2 or something like that... I take my little guy there all the time...i hear they stock it in june...nice little place.... it's at the end of south pelham road ....off hwy 20....

do you ever catch anything spanky? :blink:

From what I have heard is that the first few weeks after being stocked people fish it left right and center and the stock is depleted pretty quick.

IBC

lol... you're right, i never catch anything :)

Thats the same i've heard IBC, shoulder to shoulder.... i've seen a total of 5 fish pulled outta there, 1 was on the usual corn... the others were all on the same lure/bait :)

Guest bigfishbass

people say it gets so busy in there during the stock that there is no place to park..... never mind find a spot on the water....still is a nice place to take the little ones and teach them...dads can a coffee and shoot the brezze with the other dads...LOL...a few nice trails in there too.

Archived