something to get you pumped up

gunner-2

That's crazy! Glad you can't use a rifle or large shot here! A couple of years ago a hunting buddy was set up over a couple of hen decoys, he heard something behind him turned his head and there was a guy pointing a shotgun basically right beside him about to shoot at his decoys. Buddy lost it, the trespasser and his buddy took off. He reported it but no description of vehicle etc.  Caught the same guys out there the following fall, said they had permission etc., almost came to blows, this time the MNR tracked the guy down as had license plate etc. and laid charges.

Turkey hunting can be very dangerous I can't believe the gov took away the safety course on this i had guys sneak up on me before trespassing thank god he wasn't getting ready to shoot walked right past me and i flipped out on him same story he had permission oh really who gave you permission cant think of his name pulled out my cell called the owner asked him if he had permission as i was talking to the farmer he started to walk away so as loud as i can so he can hear me i told the owner he is on his way out so the owner met him on his way out told him never come back or charges will be laid so guys /gals always have the property owners number on hand and if you have to call him by the time he is out of the bush he can have a cop on sight well you hope any ways we already have a bad name but we together can change the way people think about us by helping the owners and the authorities keep the unlawful hunters in check 

I took the Hunters course before they stopped doing the turkey course. They basically went over the turkey course anyway. I thought that was real good. There are always guys who do what they want, and don’t take safety of themselves or others into consideration unfortunately.

Hope you all have a good safe season, hope to see some pics of how you all do, and hopefully post one of my own as well. 

Agreed, I will be a new hunter looking for Turkey in the spring. I have a buddy who has hunted for a long time and I mentioned a specific NPCA spot and he told me if you go there you will get shot.  So like KGM said it comes down to the person.

I finished the course a couple weeks ago, there were some questions asked that worried me, there were also some people that should not have passed. Which they did not.  

I'm sure that is why there are no tresspassing signs galore in our region.......ruined by people. Just like good fishing spots.

No stalking those Turkey's

LT

Welcome to the hunting field Lundtastic it's the people that don't give a crap that ruined it and give hunters a bad name .As for stalking turkeys you are 100% right  the calls today sound like real turkeys and the decoys are the same you can look at a decoy and wonder when it's going to move thats how real they look it takes no time for someone to sneak up on you and think your decoy is a real turkey and not think that on the other side of the decoy is a hunter . but on a good note turkey hunting can be very exciting same as all hunting or like a great day on the lake hunting isn't always going to be a bad day out you will have more great days then bad 

I've always thought wearing camo for turkey hunting , plus using realistic decoys could be a tad on the dangerous side . When hunting for deer, moose, grouse , etc. bright orange is required  for the sole purpose of being seen by other hunters . Even then, some have been shot by "sound shooters" by clueless people .( notice I didn't call them "hunters" ). Keep your ears open wide and eyes peeled guys ! 

BTW....  from across the big lake ......this has gone viral , world wide as the "vegans"  have launched a war on a game restaurant in T.O. The owners names is "Hunter" . The veganeers have been harassing customers as the exit but it seems to be back"firing" on them . Many comments mostly supporting the restaurant.

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/wallace-protesters-real-animals-in-antler-dispute#comments

48 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I've always thought wearing camo for turkey hunting , plus using realistic decoys could be a tad on the dangerous side . When hunting for deer, moose, grouse , etc. bright orange is required  for the sole purpose of being seen by other hunters . Even then, some have been shot by "sound shooters" by clueless people .( notice I didn't call them "hunters" ). Keep your ears open wide and eyes peeled guys ! 

BTW....  from across the big lake ......this has gone viral , world wide as the "vegans"  have launched a war on a game restaurant in T.O. The owners names is "Hunter" . The veganeers have been harassing customers as the exit but it seems to be back"firing" on them . Many comments mostly supporting the restaurant.

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/wallace-protesters-real-animals-in-antler-dispute#comments

These mind less people have been doing this stuff for years and got no were but with this gov who knows .the thing about hunting turkey in full camo is that turkey can see color and that brings it back to as why we had to take the turkey course and why it was stupid to take it away it can be a very dangerous sport for deer hunting you can hunt deer in a suit and tie same as moose and hunting grouse the season falls at the same time as deer and your walking around in a bush and if someone is not making sure they know what there target is tragedy strikes and you can't take that shot back 

5 hours ago, Lundtastic said:

Agreed, I will be a new hunter looking for Turkey in the spring. I have a buddy who has hunted for a long time and I mentioned a specific NPCA spot and he told me if you go there you will get shot.  So like KGM said it comes down to the person.

I finished the course a couple weeks ago, there were some questions asked that worried me, there were also some people that should not have passed. Which they did not.  

I'm sure that is why there are no tresspassing signs galore in our region.......ruined by people. Just like good fishing spots.

No stalking those Turkey's

LT

This Is my second year turkey hunting, and my first hunting NPCA  land. Maybe I should think twice?  

Been hunting turkeys for a number of years now on private property but that hasn't stopped people on three different occasions trespassing while I was sitting there. Once, while set up on a hedgerow a guy took a shot in the bush right across from me, scared the crap out of me as I was the sole person with permission to be on the property. As I got up from my spot and started to walk across the field, he high tailed it out of there, jumping on an ATV that he had parked a couple of hundred yards away.

16 hours ago, kgm said:

This Is my second year turkey hunting, and my first hunting NPCA  land. Maybe I should think twice?  

Depends I guess. Turkeys see colour but from everything I'm reading the key is no movement. I'm staying clear of HStone NpCa.

4 hours ago, Lundtastic said:

Depends I guess. Turkeys see colour but from everything I'm reading the key is no movement. I'm staying clear of HStone NpCa.

I was out walking through humberstone yesterday. Doesn’t seem like a good area for turkeys. It’s pretty wet. Maybe will dry up by the end of the month though and be better for turkey?  Was looking at the other NPCA close by. It looks ok. Didn’t see any turkey at either place though. 

I had a guy at first light once walk right out in front of me to shoot at a Jake walking towards my hen decoy .I wasn't going to shoot the Jake so I let a shot go in the air because I was pissed .he  was pretty upset with me.i told him he was the idiot stalking birds .I've been hunting turkeys 13 years and it was the only time I ever had that happen to me !

got out this morning scouting and the birds are singing before the snow storm heard 3 Toms or Jakes didn't see them but they are there cant wait .I was going to put my hunting tent up but the owner told me his sons tree stand was take'n ok not doing that

Things have really changed over the years Gunner .  Thievery has increased ten fold since I was young . Leave a bicycle unlocked at a store , or a car with keys inside and they will be gone in seconds . I guess  we have so many more low lifes that steal everyday , the law (courts) look at it as a minor issue ....just call your insurance co.  Those so called hunters who ignore the laws , steal from others and trash the area need a RUDE awakening ......maybe the farmers could use drones to find these creeps , get some info on them and their vehicles ..... I have hunted for pheasants in Niagara where we walked all day ...never used a blind/stand and camo gear .  But I can see you guys need to be very wary stalking the turkeys having to watch your back for those bush apes with a gun.

Archived