Reminder ...

smerchly

Time once again to remind ourselves that as it gets WARM once again  the ticks are waiting for us to donate a blood sample .....

The cold winter doesn't seem to kill them off ....they become tougher !   This article  has good info . Hunters as well as anglers need to know ticks will attack birds, deer moose ....and us .  I need to remember my deet as well as sun block more often ! You can roll grass ....but don't roll in it !

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/community-story/8399149-best-advice-to-prevent-lyme-disease-don-t-roll-in-the-grass/

Good reminder Smerch! In the U.S. they recommend using products with Permethrin sprayed on your boots and clothes. It isn't approved in Canada for human use but you can buy it at TSC for horses. I picked some up last year , name brand is Ultra Shield

Thanks for the info S&T .

Many places I fish have the very tall invasive  Phragmite  plants  that I need to walk through or fish beside them at carp spots . They have large "tassels" at the top which holds the seeds which is carried by wind to grow elsewhere . I have been leery of ticks after walking in them but this article says they don't hold many insects . The roots run deep and they are so thick it affects wild life like turtles . I think this stuff is far worse than Loosestrife  which invaded many years ago !  We can expect many more invasive species as we  have become world traders , and it costs all of us plenty of pesos to deal with it .

I have fished the 12 Mile Creek for over 65 years and never had to watch for ticks , but now it's loaded with them ....some spots I avoid altogether now.

Be wary ....they  will be thirsty.....watch your pets too

http://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/what-we-do/resource-centre/invasive-species/common-reed.html

For years I have a spray bottle of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water in the jeep and spray Angel an myself before

going into grassy areas that I fish.  She has had one tick per year and it was the time I didn't spray her. Cheap and effective.

6 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Good reminder Smerch! In the U.S. they recommend using products with Permethrin sprayed on your boots and clothes. It isn't approved in Canada for human use but you can buy it at TSC for horses. I picked some up last year , name brand is Ultra Shield

Been using Ultra Shield for 3 years now for my and my grandson's hunting gear & clothes.

We haven't had 1 single tick in 3 years - great stuff!

It does smell of citronella, so I hang all our clothes(2-piece camo rain suits + camo hats) outside when I spray them and leave them out for 1/2 day to get rid of the smell, 

then seal each of our  outfits in separate garbage bags.  We only take them out of the bags when we get to our hunt site.

I also spray the tops of our hunting boots and our camo gear packs with it and leave them sit out to air out as well.

One application lasts for the entire turkey season.  Did 2 separate applications during the fall deer season.

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

They are out already. A friend had four on his dog last week after a romp at Fireman's Park.

I bought some stuff for ticks & black flies from Out Doors Oriented last year ....pretty strong deet and odour ,but didn't see a tick ...when I remembered to USE IT !

How do you find ticks in dogs that have thick coats ? They will even go into the ears . I wouldn't spray my dog with those chemicals , but the apple cider vinegar seems to be working for knightfisher's Angel . 

Question....will ticks leave a dead carcass of a bird or animal quickly since there is no blood flow.....?

I don't use anything for my dog, I used to but not anymore. I found that using stuff like Advantix didn't really have any effect, the ticks still got on them, bit and engorged. Just another poison going into the dog's system, that really can't be good. Now I just go over my guy really well and pick them off. And those nasty bastards will be anywhere and everywhere! I've seen pictures of them on dogs' gums, between their pads...you really have to look.

I never liked the idea of using strong drugs like Advantix for our dogs , especially since they seldom leave the yard .  I hope some day they come up with a way to rid of those nasty blood thirsty critters ....I'd rather deal with black flies ( to a point)  <_< I believe the praying mantis eats them .....controlled fires might help.....:smiley_campfire-1::.:

As you know Bill, I would never use any type of chemicals on Angel. The net has tons of remedies that will not poison your dog. When I read of the numerous reports of dogs getting cancer, well.....you have to look at what these chemicals are doing to our loved pets.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Found a lone star tick on me the other day. Felt it walking on my leg. I usually wear pants in the brush. No more shorts.

NO SHORTS  !   NOPE !  Don't want those things playing in the ball park .....best to tuck your socks in your LONG pants and give it a good spray !  I walked through some tall grass lately after spraying myself (hat too) and remained tickless when I got back to my van . 

I just flushed a tick down the toilet !  I have been living here in the hood since 1981 when there was a 10 acre field at my back yard & 10 acres + of grapes at my front yard .....never seen a tick ....until TODAY !  Neighbours all around me have short grass (except one unkempt yard kitty corner which is a disaster with high grass & weeds . I was wearing a T-shirt and saw a tick on my forearm 20 min.ago  .Now we have to check our dog daily . NOT a good sign to see ticks in well kept (mostly) neighbourhoods in the city !  Bug-gers !  :angry:

2 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

They are nasty little critters. And when you check yourself (or your pet) over, check again!!

Just found one in between my dogs toes.  Dog tick.  Likely got it today as it wasn't engorged yet nor dead (since my dog is treated for ticks).

Don't trust the poison that you put on your dog to repel/kill ticks. I'm aware of two instances this year alone where the dog has been "treated" with anti-tick meds and the dog has not only been bitten, but has been infected with Lyme disease.

Totally agree Bubba .....that strong chemical ( Advantage ) gets into the dogs bloodstream and who knows what damage it can do to bodily organs . We gave our last dog heartworm meds that made her act like a zombie ....listless and not a happy dog . Like humans.....there is a drug for every ailment  and there are "side affects" .

A woman posted a picture of her dog's feet that had dozens of ticks between it's toes !!  I used to bath my dogs  with plenty of shampoo that would leave a few dead fleas in the tub......the ticks are much tougher and can survive the bath . The ticks are moving north and I worry more each year for our pets and kids .  

Our dog Maggie has had the 3 year rabies shot which is mandatory , and I  still question if it's really needed when she never leaves our back yard ,except for a vet visit .......

Borax soap with some H2O2 will kill anything on your dog, and is safer than most shampoos.

Angel had two ticks in her ear a few months back, because I forgot to spray her with ACV.

We go for a half mile walk every day along the hydro road, full of ticks and she never gets a tick on her

when I spray her feet and legs and under belly with ACV. Works for her and inexpensive.

What % H202 Dan ?  We have a large bottle of 3% H.P.

Does the ACV have to have "mother" in it or will the regular french fry acv do....it all smells the same .  B)

3% is what I use Bill.

Any type of ACV will work. 

Thing is when Angel gets in the jeep after a walk I can still smell the ACV a bit and then have a desire for some fries....:tease:

I'm finding less ticks on my dogs than the last couple years. I have Boston Terriers with very short coats. I walk them at Baden Powell ( Grassybrook) and at most I find two or three between the three of them. Maybe they all moved into town lol.

6 hours ago, marktheperchman said:

I'm finding less ticks on my dogs than the last couple years. I have Boston Terriers with very short coats. I walk them at Baden Powell ( Grassybrook) and at most I find two or three between the three of them. Maybe they all moved into town lol.

Canadian ticks don't like American dogs.....:dunno:

Can't really explain why your dogs are getting less ticks (so far) , but  they are spreading wide and far  .....Maybe an extra cold winter will wipe them out (dreamer) .

Dan....I'm with you on the fries !  We can smell the vinegar (malt) in the car for days after stopping at the fry truck .....never saw a tick in the car yet !

,,,,in today's paper....a good read on ticks . I wasn't aware the black legged tick is about 15% .

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8670388-tick-at-risk-areas-expanded-in-niagara/

Archived