Turkey Opener Coming!

genec

Been rounding up all our hunting gear today for turkey season starter.

Got the turkey chokes in both my and my grandson's guns, and am looking forward to seeing how the 20 Gauge Winchester Longbeard ammo works for him.

Waiting for warmer weather Friday to spray all our gear & clothes with tick repellant (Ultra Shield).

Also brewed up a batch of venison jerky and have it marinating - gotta have munchies while sitting in the blind waiting!

With all the cold weather we've had the nesting will be delayed, so the gobblers will be henned up for a long time, even though they've been strutting for a while.

Sounds like good times .il be out on opening morning and then won't be able to get out again for a week unless we have rain days and I go hunt in a blind in the rain.good luck on your hunts with your grandson.The memories are what it's about.last year I had a group of 5 Jake's practically pecking at my daughter's boots 5 ft from me .she was a statue and I was proud of her.we couldn't get the Tom to come over because of them but still a great hunt!

13 hours ago, fishingking said:

Genec is it your first time using ultra sheild and if so how well does it work?

NOTE: I previously posted this under FISHING: Reminder topic.

Been using Ultra Shield for 3 years now for my and my grandson's hunting gear & clothes.

We haven't had 1 single tick in 3 years - great stuff!

It does smell of citronella, so I hang all our clothes(2-piece camo rain suits + camo hats) outside when I spray them and leave them out for 1/2 day to get rid of the smell, 

then seal each of our  outfits in separate garbage bags.  We only take them out of the bags when we get to our hunt site.

I also spray the tops of our hunting boots and our camo gear packs with it and leave them sit out to air out as well.

One application lasts for the entire turkey season.  Did 2 separate applications during the fall deer season.

Guest brookie slayer

Scouted one of my turkey spots today for 90 min..saw 14 birds...4 were shooters...lots of birds around the area as well.. could be a good year..this cold weather has kept the vegetation down which results in better visibility...was out mid morning..no ticks...lots of turkey feathers around so you know the yotes are eating well.

I have been watching my spot they are there strutting but not talking i have my eye on 2 shooters no tick me yet hope to take my bird on opener and be done with it i love turkey hunting but hate the ticks and the mosquito's have to find the ultra shield that genec has been talking about good luck out there guys and be safe

I've been waiting for this for a while now. Went shed hunting at my spot last month, came up empty handed but found a bunch of feathers under some ceaders I've caught them roosting in before.  Hopefully come Monday I can get my first bird on the ground.  Good luck and hope everyone gets the opener they want.  

Terrible conclusion to A great hunt today.my daughter and I set up on the edge of a hard wood bush and about 75 yards across is a real thick swampy area.i decided to try and get a turkey with my crossbow .while walking in we seen two good sets of tracks in the mud .got the decoys set up and made two soft calls with the slate call waited about 5 mins and my daughter said she heard a gobble from far away so I hit the box call and within two minutes I caught a glimpse of a bird coming through the thickets.nice tom with about 10" beard probably around 28 pounds walked slowly towards my hen and Jake decoys got within 10 ft of them and a hen starts clucking right where the Tom just came from so he stops turns to look back so I used my mouth call to keep him focused .it didn't work he started walking away so I raised my bow quickly ranged him at 31 yards and shot .I smoked him (I thought)he does a barrel roll feathers went everywhere went the arrow hit him and he runs takes off flying into the thick stuff probably about a 150ft back or so and we searched for him for an hour an half before giving up . disa

ppointing cause I've shot two with my compound and they didn't go anywhere.definitely bringing shotgun now till I get one .

9 hours ago, fishingking said:

Is anyone having any luck getting them to answer calls ?

I have only got out once  so far but yes the toms i have in my spot will gobble in the tree then shut up on the ground and has all his hens with him things are behind. try staying out longer and you might get him fired up when the hens are off doing their own thing. but in that case i will forget him and try to get the  hens to come to me he will be right with them it will pick up soon when the hens start to lay

Been out 3 times,  one afternoon and a couple early mornings.  Only Hens and some gobbles that didn't produce. My buddy got one on the opener.  There were at least 15 in the trees on the one property we hunted Saturday but they were spooked by someone who decided to "quietly" walk in under their roosting spot.  Lot's more time.

1 hour ago, Lundtastic said:

Been out 3 times,  one afternoon and a couple early mornings.  Only Hens and some gobbles that didn't produce. My buddy got one on the opener.  There were at least 15 in the trees on the one property we hunted Saturday but they were spooked by someone who decided to "quietly" walk in under their roosting spot.  Lot's more time.

Lol. That quiet person may have been me depending on where you were. I got out a little late. If it was me sorry about that

Naw we were hunting a farm property west of wainfleet that a buddy has permission on. Guy that came in was from the south used a flashlight.......I walked way in on Willo with no result thursday also. One other truck there white ford.

If hunting in city limits was allowed my bird feeder would be quite the spot.. 24 come down 3 times a day to eat and strut.. 4 real big toms 1 smaller tom a few jakes and the rest hens. The one big toms beard practiclly touches the ground. They show up every spring  (3 weeks ago this yr) and are usually gone by first few weeks in may except for a few hens that stick around for the summer with their young. 

Yes gunner I did figure things would be behind a bit.tried again today and got a hen to come in clucking and yelping for about 10 minutes but nothing following and didn't see or here any other birds for the duration of my hunt.

Been out a few times, haven’t seen or heard a bird while hunting yet this year. I have seen a few crossing the road locally but nothing when I’m out hunting. Anyone having any luck?

Same here .went out 530 this morning and got one gobble and nothing showed up .while driving away from my spot I spotted 3 birds probably 2 hens and a Jake on the opposite side of the bush I hunt but there's a good tom around but I haven't seen him since a couple days before opening

Finally got my first bird this morning!

Usually we have always got our spring birds in the hay fields or the bean fields surrounding the bush.

But been a weird spring so far - they just don't want to come out of the bush at all this spring,

so this morning I got up at 3:00 am, drove to farm, and went into bush quietly after them.

Was set up by 4:45 am and got lucky just after daylight.

Not a big bird, but a first!

19.51 pounds, 10 1/16 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

3 1/2" Winchester Longbeard ammo came through again!

Congrats genec .I've been hunting 5 times in  the last  week and Haven't got a gobble or seen a thing . apparently a guy purchased the property behind the farm I hunt which is divided by a creek has been shooting off a shotgun steady so either he's blasting turkeys or just shooting and they've left the area .first year in about 4 I haven't got a bird first week . usually there's a dozen or so at least .oh well il try a couple more times before it's done.good luck all

No luck for me. Was out Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Hunted three different properties morning and late afternoon. All we were seeing were hens. Had a couple of toms gobbling at one of the properties but they were across the road in a bush lot probably 500 meters away. Saw hens every time we were out! Guess we'll have to keep at it.

Archived