Turkey Opener Coming!

genec

57 minutes ago, genec said:

Finally got my first bird this morning!

Usually we have always got our spring birds in the hay fields or the bean fields surrounding the bush.

But been a weird spring so far - they just don't want to come out of the bush at all this spring,

so this morning I got up at 3:00 am, drove to farm, and went into bush quietly after them.

Was set up by 4:45 am and got lucky just after daylight.

Not a big bird, but a first!

19.51 pounds, 10 1/16 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

3 1/2" Winchester Longbeard ammo came through again!

congrats genec any bird you get is great in my books . Are you going after your second bird? i think this year i'm only going to fill one tag well i hope any ways good job on your bird

14 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

No luck for me. Was out Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Hunted three different properties morning and late afternoon. All we were seeing were hens. Had a couple of toms gobbling at one of the properties but they were across the road in a bush lot probably 500 meters away. Saw hens every time we were out! Guess we'll have to keep at it.

I know what you mean Bubba i have seen the tom i'm after but he does not like the decoys he will come out of the bush in full strut look at my decoys drop his fan and go the other way even when the hens walk by he will not commit this boy has had encounters with hunters before i can tell he is educated just need him to make a bad choice once and my season is over

25 minutes ago, fishingking said:

Congrats genec .I've been hunting 5 times in  the last  week and Haven't got a gobble or seen a thing . apparently a guy purchased the property behind the farm I hunt which is divided by a creek has been shooting off a shotgun steady so either he's blasting turkeys or just shooting and they've left the area .first year in about 4 I haven't got a bird first week . usually there's a dozen or so at least .oh well il try a couple more times before it's done.good luck all

i hope he's not doing it on purpose knowing your hunting the other side don't sound like he is hunting if he is shooting that much not saying it is i don't know the story but i might be a case of hunter harassment good luck i hope things settle down for you and the birds come back around for ya

1 hour ago, genec said:

Finally got my first bird this morning!

Usually we have always got our spring birds in the hay fields or the bean fields surrounding the bush.

But been a weird spring so far - they just don't want to come out of the bush at all this spring,

so this morning I got up at 3:00 am, drove to farm, and went into bush quietly after them.

Was set up by 4:45 am and got lucky just after daylight.

Not a big bird, but a first!

19.51 pounds, 10 1/16 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

3 1/2" Winchester Longbeard ammo came through again!

Congrats on your bird!

Guest brookie slayer

Nothin but hens mostly...2 days before season I saw alot of birds...season starts and dick... haven't shot in 3 seasons...39 times out roughly...might pack in this thing they call turkey hunting... 

Archived