Just a few questions

DNorton

Just wondering if anyone is trying anything different this year ? I got into carping last year and couldn’t get enough but I’m feeling I need to expand my techniques. I’ve always been successful with corn on the hair rig just wondering about pack baits and bolies. I’ve been doing some research which leads me to my questions. Do boilies work well around here ? Or are they more of a European thing ? When making my pack bait should I be pre baiting before I go fish a certain spot ? I never have when using corn and have had success. And I’ve read multiple places niagara river is great for carp but how would you go about chumming with the current ? Just a few things that I’ve been pondering recently  going to be heading out this weekend if weather cooperates to try some new pack bait recipes and see what happens! 

Corn on the hair is my best rig .  I always chum with small amounts every half hr. Pre baiting helps I have been told . I have seen boilies work , but haven't spent time making any . I also use a corn puff-oat pack bait . I use maize corn as well as canned corn for hair rigs & chumming . ....maize is so cheap ! You tube has many baits,rigs ,etc., but most are British where carp are in ponds .  I've seen photos of big carp caught in the Niag.R. ...caught on corn . I would prefer chumming in current with a fast sinking oat or bread maize mixture  . 

I take note of what others are using for bait and like to experiment with my own rig ideas . Water should  warm up next week (finally) & the carp fishing will get better . Good luck .  :Gonefishing:

Last year, I put an emphasis on fishing new locations, and it was great to explore places I had never fished before.

This year, me thinks, I have to try tying new rigs.  For example; fishing weedy or silty bottoms where I worry my bait is buried, I should probably tie a choddy rig that keeps my bait above the 'junk.' 

All the rigs and their variations can be found on Youtube so I just have to stop being lazy and give 'em a go!

Yea I was thinking of tying my own hair rigs. It’s just so much easier going to Peters and buying them pre tied. Lol. 

Tried for for a few hours today and didn’t get a sniff with corn. Also noticed my frozen corn was floating ? Never had that problem before so I don’t think my chum was going with my bait. Any ideas why the corn would be floating? Water still to cold ? Or just a fluke ? I’m perplexed. 

If the corn was still frozen when it hit the water it will float ....just like ice  .lol

I saw a couple of carp jump at Martindale today ....got me in the "mood"  ♣️      ( where did all the emoticons come from ? )

Nice day tomorrow ....got lots of corn .... B)

14 minutes ago, DNorton said:

Yea it was still somewhat frozen lol. Guess that might have been just a brain fart ?

looking to get out tomorrow and Sunday with some pack bait and see if I can finagle myself a brute. 

I saw a couple of carp jump today....looks like a good day to toss some corn !   ?

Good carping .

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

I thought I saw you there. The blue lumberjact jacket and your trademark pail are a dead giveaway.

T'was moi Bruce . I saw a bearded fellow at the bridge with the wildman hair do (Pete) ,but didn't see you there ....hiding under that leaning tree were you ?  ^_^

I didn't even get a sniff on small live minnow/ jig combo . ...maybe some carp in there putting the muscle to them .

Also went to the marina to check things out .....new signs up on gates ...NO fishing from docks OR property and No Trespassing . I didn't think they have shore rights as well . That place was "our" nice sandy beach many years ago ....then along came Mr.Big Bucks and the government , took out the beach , enclosed it with $$$bolders & made a marina....:dunno:.....No pier fishing....Guess our pockets aren't deep enough at Puerto DaLousie....

Got a bunch of bird shots including a loon .  ( can't upload the pics anymore) ...

Went back today , carp rod in hand and a can of corn . Chummed the spot lightly ,  waited 30 minutes for first hit ....small taps first then a good run . It almost got into the tree branches 30'  in front of me but managed to beach the whale ....a good 10 lbs or more. I got a few more taps but they wouldn't commit . Took a quick shot of the "1st" carp of 2018  and off it went .  Time to try other spots .

3 hours ago, fishingking said:

Well congrats on the one lunker anyway.not skunked is a win

It was great getting back into "the groove" . ...such a beauty day , even a skunk wouldn't have stunk .    B)

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

Went back today , carp rod in hand and a can of corn . Chummed the spot lightly ,  waited 30 minutes for first hit ....small taps first then a good run . It almost got into the tree branches 30'  in front of me but managed to beach the whale ....a good 10 lbs or more. I got a few more taps but they wouldn't commit . Took a quick shot of the "1st" carp of 2018  and off it went .  Time to try other spots .

Just wondering out of curiosity how do you weigh your carp? Just general educated guess or do you have a mat / scale. The reason I’m asking is I’m considering investing in a sling or mat and scale and just wondering what is most practical  

I usually take my large 30" diam. rubber mesh net with me , but due to the steep rock incline I needed one free hand to hang on to a fence leading to the water , so I didn't take  it today . After catching/weighing many carp over the years,  I "guessimated" the weight at a good ten lbs . I have a picture but Google stopped uploading from  Picasa files & I can't post it here . I have sent the picture via email to a few people .....

When weighing fish I weigh them in the net which weighs 3 lbs.8 oz. , then subtract the "net weight" to get the weight of the fish ...makes it easy to promptly release it . My scale is a Rapala digital scale which is very accurate .

23 minutes ago, DNorton said:

Thanks for the tip Smerchly. I was looking at buying a landing mat / sling and weigh scale but maybe I can rig something up with my rubber net. 

When weighing the fish in the net find a balancing point on the rim of the net and make sure the handle is not touching the ground .  I try to find a soft place ,like grass or bent reeds etc. to lay the net down while removing the hook , and I keep the net either in the water or in the shade to keep the rubber soft and to last for years .  I walk to many places , just one less thing to carry.....

Hey Smerch, speaking of jumping carp, I saw some too, down at Hammy Harbour yesterday.  I couldn't quite believe, with the unseasonably cold temperatures these last few weeks, that their metabolism would let them exert that kind of energy already. 

Mind you, it was at a very shallow bay in the harbour where the water temps would have been warmest, so perhaps the carp were as happy about this weekend's temps as we were!    

Anyhoo, it inspired me to head out today.  Although I still can't claim my first spring carp, the anglers next to me who were targeting catfish( and doing quite well )managed to catch a nice bright spring carp.  AAARRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where I was fishing for crappie it's about 6' - 7' deep . where I saw the carp jump it's only about 3' - 4' but I caught the carp in the 6' deep which has a slight current , and the bottom scum is breaking from the bottom and floating all over the surface . I took a run to CDP to check out the conditions there where it's also only 4' - 5' deep ,and still very muddy from the runoff . They weren't having any luck . I was thinking of trying Gibson tomorrow , where some spots are 5-6' deep and some 15' . It can only get better as the water warms up more every day .

49 minutes ago, DNorton said:

I hit cdp today with no luck through 3 hours. Not even a sniff. Gotta wait a little longer I guess 

In that creme de mocha soup you need some good size pack bait/boilie/hot sauce to get their attention . When using corn there , I catch more cats.

Another nice day tomorrow ....they will soon be puttin on the fat . I will be trying my pineapple -maize on the hair,  & always have a few corn puffs in the bag...

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

In that creme de mocha soup you need some good size pack bait/boilie/hot sauce to get their attention . When using corn there , I catch more cats.

Another nice day tomorrow ....they will soon be puttin on the fat . I will be trying my pineapple -maize on the hair,  & always have a few corn puffs in the bag...

Maybe a dumb question but where does one find corn puffs? Can’t say I’ve ever looked that hard for them though. And I appreciate the tip for cdp my regular spot had some disc golf tournament thing going on so I was forced to improvise 

I got mine at the Bulk Barn . It's used for cereal  ...at $3 bag & will last a couple of years  . They are about the size of a penny in diameter ...can put them on the hook directly or a hair rig . You can also prick a bunch of holes in them with a pin & put scent (stink) on them . I also use oil scents or bacon fat which helps make them last longer since they become very soft once emerged on water . If you get a bite and don't connect,  check the surface ...it may come off the hook and float to the surface , or has been taken by the carp, or another fish .  The packbait / corn puff was one of Hammercarp's (RIP)   favourite baits . 

Archived