Sign in to follow this  
mooseslayer

Ethanal free gas

I see Smokin Joes  on Indian Hill, Lewiston has ethanol free gas at the front pumps. Has anyone tried it? Going over soon to get gas for the boat for May long weekend trip at commanda Lake.

I've only purchased that type of fuel in Springville on the way skiing.  Don't know about off the reserve.  I think there is a website that lists stations with ethanol free gas.  That's how I found out.

Non ethanol fuel is your best bang for the buck. That's why its expensive here (like Shell V-Power 91).

Ethanol is like filler of up to 10% as you see on the pumps. Low energy density.

5 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Non ethanol fuel is your best bang for the buck. That's why its expensive here (like Shell V-Power 91).

Ethanol is like filler of up to 10% as you see on the pumps. Low energy density.

In the States ethanol percentages in many states are as high as 25%.

20 minutes ago, bigugli said:

In the States ethanol percentages in many states are as high as 25%.

That is crazy. Probably why their gasoline is so cheap. 

I understand people's desire for cheaper and cleaner burning fuel and to use their "Flex Fuel" vehicles for that purpose

However, I still enjoy the performance I can still get from my car and at this time, willing to pay that little extra at the pump.

Not sure what you mean by performance. My Jeep, hi output inline 6 runs great on regular gas. Touch the gas peddle

and I'm in passing gear instantly. Runs fantastic. And lots of pep.

45 minutes ago, knightfisher said:

Not sure what you mean by performance. My Jeep, hi output inline 6 runs great on regular gas. Touch the gas peddle

and I'm in passing gear instantly. Runs fantastic. And lots of pep.

Optimal performance in terms of an engine capability. High compression with turbos and superchargers need a denser fuel otherwise you'll have predetonation (under engine load), which can lead to headgasket issues or cracked heads. The computer needs to regulate fuel if the knock sensor is going crazy, in which the timing is pull back (less performance) and the sake of preventing further damage. A predetonating engine (also with high miles) will sound like marbles in a coffee can.

Car buyers today want all the bells & whistles , performance and sporty looks and are willing to pay thousands more for those toys and luxuries . I was just reading about AWD vehicles that either need to replace all 4 tires if one has a flat , or buy one new tire and "shave " it down to match the mileage on the other 3 tires  to prevent problems with the all wheel drive system ????  :wacko:   Give me a new truck/suv with p.s. , p.b. manual windows and a radio & I'm happy with that ...if it saves me 10 grand ..... and runs on 87  .  We not only pay dearly for all the high tech but , as the saying goes , more things to go wrong . The E.V.'s are wayyyy overpriced  ....but need zero octane .....:D

I'd love to have an 80's car, but those can have their own issues in terms of ownership. It would have to a model where its easy to find parts/trim pieces, etc due to general deterioration over time.

Edited by I'm_A_Drifter

Remember the front bench seats  and have your sweety pie warming up your side ?   :wub:

Some of those old beasts had great contours .....like the  black 71 Buick Riviera ...My first rag top was a 60 Buick LeSabre  ...was a tank with a 364 cu.in. engine , and could get 20 mpg. at 65 mph . They haven't improved that much have they ? The car was 5500 lbs.I believe....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ5G5CO4CzI

So many "older" cars being sold on AT and Kijiji have over inflated asking prices too. Just because its old, doesn't make it collectable.

At least if its 25 years + its e-test exempt. With historical plates cheaper on insurance too. These cars are not fussy on their fuel either. Cheap is fine.

5 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

So many "older" cars being sold on AT and Kijiji have over inflated asking prices too. Just because its old, doesn't make it collectable.

At least if its 25 years + its e-test exempt. With historical plates cheaper on insurance too. These cars are not fussy on their fuel either. Cheap is fine.

Isn't the cut off date for et's 1987 & older ?  My daughter has my 90 van & I think it needs a tail pipe test .  My present 97 Astro needs an exhaust e-test also .

Jeez, things keeps changing. Yeah, Its thirty years for historical plates which only allow you on the road for a specific reason too. You can't just use it as daily commuter.

As for e-test exempt you are correct.1987 and older....BUT....

Older light-duty vehicles do not require a Drive Clean test, but are still subject to the Environmental Protection Act.

This means that provincial officers — anywhere in Ontario — are authorized to stop and inspect your vehicle if they believe:

• your vehicle is emitting excessive exhaust smoke
  • emission control equipment has been tampered with or removed

In this case, you may be:

• directed to take a Drive Clean test
  • subject to penalties including warnings, notices, tickets and summonses

There is a gas station here in Dunnville that only sells ethonal free gas, race trac. Thats where I fuel up my boat and vehicles.

FYI...went to Smokin Joes Lewiston last night and Out of non-ethanol gas, so put got High test for boat and put some Stabil in it.

Regular for truck was $2.69 or  Cdn about $.94 / litre

High Test $2.97 gal or Cdn $1.04 /litre. 

Still cheaper than here.