Sunday funday.

DNorton

Me and my oldest got out for some action this afternoon. Hit up a local spot to try for some kitty’s and carp. Saw a ton of carp jumping for some reason but nothing to be had. We did get 2 little cats and saw a carp dead floating with a broken stringer in its mouth. Little irritating to say the least. Managed to take away a garbage bag of left over garbage too kinda disheartening. Old corn cans pop bottles and worm boxes. And a ridiculous amount of fishing line. Pics to come if I can find an upload site. 

When I have seen the carp jumping and thrashing I don't have much luck . They may be in the spawning ritual and  haven't got time to eat . :wub:

I picked up a cheap loaf of bread today for the chopper , hope to get out tomorrow to a shallow spot for carp ( or cats).

Good on ya for picking up the trash , and the  FISHING LINE !   Those people don't care about wild life or anything else , but will be the first to complain when a fence goes up with no fishing signs .  I emailed Jim Bradley about the worm boxes which could easily be made from compostable  material  but he just passed the buck as usual  ....and they go on and on about the "environment"  but don't really give a $hit ....unless there's $$$ in it for them . I put 20 worm boxes in the blue box last year ....got a good start again this season , and  LOTS of line !  People will lug in food , drinks , full cans of corn , etc.,  but can't take the empty stuff back ....or are just too damn lazy ......and it's not just the fishermen that don't have much matter between the ears ...   this might help remind them .. :slap: 

Yea unfortunealy I was one of those unintended a few years ago. My son threw his worm box in the water. Since then we carry in an empty garbage bag and take out what we can when we’re leaving. He’s only 9 but he’s starting to understand what it does to the ecosystem. If nothing else it preserves my spots for now 

I don't think the jumping carp are spawning carp.  Me thinks the water temps are still too cold.

When I observe spawning, it's usually looks more like FISH rolling on the surface, and rushing around in the shallows, etc.  

Why exactly carp jump, I've never really heard a definitive explanation for.  Some think it's a form of communication, but I don't think it's connected to spawning( IMHO ). 

Just had a good couple hours of steady action off beaver dam road Thorold where the big red barn used to be .my daughter and I were bottom fishing with three way rigs and worms .we ended up with 7 perch (all bigger than 10" one was 14") and 4 catfish about 2-3 pounds .missed one really heavy fish that was only on for a sec .

Tried Beaverdam's  for a few hours today .  The fish were hungry .... using  can corn/bread pack  , puff corn /bread pack & just corn .  First hour was good , 2 carp 2 catfish & a big rudd that took the corn .  Another carp an hour later ...all carp between 10 & 12 lbs. Rudd was just under 3 lbs . Got a couple more cats & another rudd . One carp only had the bottom half of the tail, but still put out a great battle !  Two carp took the corn puffs & one took the can corn .   Great to be in the groove again !    :D

Went back this morning  to try the light rig - corn puff with a few split shots . A guy with a big bushy beard was carp fishing the spot ....asked him if he caught any yet ......a quick NO , then he immediately brought out his cell phone . He had all the bells and whistles possible for carp fishing....a real PRO ..I was going to leave but decided to fish about 60 ' away in the rushes ,just hoping to show this dude I can catch carp with a simple rod & corn puff . ....Didn't see him pull in a carp ...but I DID !!   :D  And it was the best fight of the year so far ...only about 11 lbs. but it was a real scrapper !   I felt like asking him if he wanted it for supper or hook it on his line  .....:rolleyes: but he was busy with his face glued to the cell phone .....Well worth the trip today !  :Gonefishing:

For your information, I had to take a very important call!  

lol

Hey Smerch, I couple of weeks ago I was carp fishing( with pod, bite alarm, method feeder, etc )right next to a couple of guys who were hook and worm fishing for cats.  Well, don't they end up catching a carp, while I ended up with the big ol' skunkaroo for the day!!! 

I can't help thinking that somewhere in the Hammer, a story is being told about sitting next to a guy with hundreds of dollars worth of carp gear and out-fishing him with a hook and worm.

I feel shame...

Ha ha ...good story Mike !   I was the "little woman"  today who drops the line over the side of the boat & catches the biggest walleye of the week !  LOL

Take a kid fishing & watch him/her  get the BIG ONE !   I used my 8' custom salmon rod which is actually too light for salmon. The tip is lively and really shows those little "nibblers" pecking at your bait . The puffs work good there on that soft bottom as they float & you can set them to sit 1" or 6" from the bottom . I had to add a tiny shot to get it sitting 1" from bottom . The problem with puffs is one bite from any fish can take it from the hook so a check is done every 15-20 minutes to see if you have bait .  The carp usually slam it !

Archived