Beginners Luck

Derek0291

Went fly fishing for the first time this weekend! (practiced casting prior to heading out) 

Was a blast, caught 14 trout and 1 chub trout lol... recommend anyone that's wanted to get into it to just pick up a rod and teach yourself.

Nymph fished under every structure possible. Missed tons of hook sets as I'm still learning. 

Not sure if photos are showing 

20180506_105730-1_resized20180506_103922_resized

Congratulations on your first time success , what a great feeling experiencing a very special day that you will never forget, and I think you will be a very good fly fisherman going forward into the future.   great success ! keep going and try for a monster carp next !

Yeah that and a rediculous amount of ads pop up on photobucket now.

Perhaps ill try for a carp someday hopefully it wont snap my little rod ?

4 hours ago, tombo said:

Fantastic first time out! Would love to know where ya found those! Nymphing is def my favorite method to catch numbers....

I would love to tell ya. This forum is just way too public! 

Nice going Derek. Nymphing is so productive. I have a nice little 2wt and its a lot of fun to fish. 

9 hours ago, DaveC said:

Nice going Derek. Nymphing is so productive. I have a nice little 2wt and its a lot of fun to fish. 

Does your 2 wt prevent you from flipping small fish on a hook set? My 5wt is too much i think. 

Went again yesterday. Only meant to wade for a couple hours but ended up walking a 1km downstream and killing 6 hours haha. Dozen or so juvenile bows caught ,pretty slow.

1 hour ago, Derek0291 said:

Does your 2 wt prevent you from flipping small fish on a hook set? My 5wt is too much i think. 

Went again yesterday. Only meant to wade for a couple hours but ended up walking a 1km downstream and killing 6 hours haha. Dozen or so juvenile bows caught ,pretty slow.

Mine is really soft tip and great backbone so hooksets are smooth, but plenty of backbone for a 5lb fish. I'm using a Maxia. Its a euro comp rod...so sensitive you feel fly ticking bottom and slightest touch. A 5 wt is a little much for residents...but can be done as you have shown. A nice 3-4wt matches well in places like upper grand / whitemans.

On 5/12/2018 at 7:09 AM, DaveC said:

Mine is really soft tip and great backbone so hooksets are smooth, but plenty of backbone for a 5lb fish. I'm using a Maxia. Its a euro comp rod...so sensitive you feel fly ticking bottom and slightest touch. A 5 wt is a little much for residents...but can be done as you have shown. A nice 3-4wt matches well in places like upper grand / whitemans.

Thanks. Do you have to add split shots to tight line effectively? Thinking of swit hing from nymphing indicator.. Gets annoying adjusting bobber every run lol 

First let me say congrats on a great day on the fly!!!

If you are interested in Euro nymphing/tight line nymphing . You should look at a 10-11 foot rods specific to that style of fly fishing. Also the leaders are the most important part of euro nymphing.

I use a 10' 3 weight and a 11' 2 weight , with no fly line... yes no fly line I run a mono rig. I use 30 to 40 feet of 20 pound maxim chameleon mono down, to 5 feet of 15 pound maxim chameleon mono, then 24 inches of 10 pound or 2x tippet sighter ( indicator tippet ) with a 2mm tippet ring tied to the end. Add tippet as required ( length ). I typically use only 6x and 5x fluro tippet. This is all tied strait on to 20 pound backing and that is it. Here is a good link for you to read over: https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the-mono-rig-and-why-fly-line-sucks/

I never use a bobber the indicator tippet acts as a sighter for strike detection, and it is VERY effective. As far as shot I personally don't,  I run double nymphs .  For weight look at bigger beads 4mm, 3.5mm 3mm tungsten. Most of my nymphs are tied on to size 16, 14, 12 jig hooks ( barbless ). Also you can always add lead wire to your flies for added weight.

This style of fly fishing is DEADLY and will produce a lot of fish.... and big fish to boot. 

Also there is a lot of info out there. Have fun and tightlines!

Have fun and tightlines !

On 5/15/2018 at 7:58 PM, Bow Man said:

First let me say congrats on a great day on the fly!!!

If you are interested in Euro nymphing/tight line nymphing . You should look at a 10-11 foot rods specific to that style of fly fishing. Also the leaders are the most important part of euro nymphing.

I use a 10' 3 weight and a 11' 2 weight , with no fly line... yes no fly line I run a mono rig. I use 30 to 40 feet of 20 pound maxim chameleon mono down, to 5 feet of 15 pound maxim chameleon mono, then 24 inches of 10 pound or 2x tippet sighter ( indicator tippet ) with a 2mm tippet ring tied to the end. Add tippet as required ( length ). I typically use only 6x and 5x fluro tippet. This is all tied strait on to 20 pound backing and that is it. Here is a good link for you to read over: https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the-mono-rig-and-why-fly-line-sucks/

I never use a bobber the indicator tippet acts as a sighter for strike detection, and it is VERY effective. As far as shot I personally don't,  I run double nymphs .  For weight look at bigger beads 4mm, 3.5mm 3mm tungsten. Most of my nymphs are tied on to size 16, 14, 12 jig hooks ( barbless ). Also you can always add lead wire to your flies for added weight.

This style of fly fishing is DEADLY and will produce a lot of fish.... and big fish to boot. 

Also there is a lot of info out there. Have fun and tightlines!

Have fun and tightlines !

Your setup sounds very well thought out. Hopefully i run into someone like you to see how its done haha 

Archived