need a new boat cover

Chrisb

I need to replace the cover on my boat. Previously I ordered one from Cabelas but the model is not available anymore.

After reviewing what is available now I notice many of them not even waterproof. They are only 'water resistant' and reviews say they leak.

I am looking for suggestions. The boat is a 16.5 foot Smokercraft.

Hi Guys.

I have a guy that I have used twice.  His name is Keith Broere from KB Canvas.  He is located in Virgil on 4 Mile Creek road.  His number is 905-658-1782

He does repairs and custom builds any tops that you need with any material.  What ever your budget allows he will do for you.  He does great work.

Hope this helps the two of you out.

10 hours ago, Chrisb said:

I need to replace the cover on my boat. Previously I ordered one from Cabelas but the model is not available anymore.

After reviewing what is available now I notice many of them not even waterproof. They are only 'water resistant' and reviews say they leak.

I am looking for suggestions. The boat is a 16.5 foot Smokercraft.

I replaced mine last year with a cabelas ratchet support system cover, I have not had problems with it leaking but it's a PIA to put it on with the supplied straps .it didn't come with support posts so I used my old one in the middle and up front I have a wooden bow across to support cover. Without them the cover pools water on it as the straps in the cover are not tight enough to support it. If I had to do it again I would get the factory cover copied by a custom shop

When I bought my Lund Tyee 4 years ago, it came with a tight fitting trailering/outdoor cover that is very easy to put on and off using all the existing snaps and also came with two support poles for the bow and mid-ship to drain the water.  It is still in excellent condition but I think I will order another one before that model is changed for when and if the existing one wears out. I also have used KB canvas in the past and they do excellent work.

...I do it a different way and have been using the same 'system' for years...with my 17' Lund and now my 17-10 Alumacraft. I have been buying an 11x19 silver (grey) tarp for a long time. I buy 2 a year. They appear to be waterproof for about six months. The only downfall is that I don't have a cover when I trailer. I've had covers tear in Texas and Tennessee. If I wanted a cover to trailer, I'd buy one. Anyways, the weather seems to dictate that I need two a year. Tarps are easy to bungee, too. Some advantages...on wet mornings, I take the tarp off and put it on my deck (no folding!). Put it on the lawn when I get home to dry at least one side. The tarp doesn't mildew and it's not as heavy as a cover to screw with. Undo the bungees and slide it off. I've been buying the size I need at Harbor Freight for a long time. There is always a 20% coupon for your first item, available to print out from the internet. I save the tarps and have used them for when I shingled my roof, for example. That's just the way I do it. Costs around $40US a year (with coupon) for two tarps. 

I purchased a mooring/travel cover from Nichols Marine when I purchased my boat three years ago. I keep my boat in the water for six months of each year and the cover never leaks. They're expensive, the material is similar to oilcloth very well put together. These covers should last for years. There is a business four buildings past the boat launch next to Nichols that makes boat covers.

So are you looking for something as a generic fit or a custom fit made specific for boat.?

Now I also believe the old water proof covers weren't very breathable and led to that canvas mold smell where as the water resistant may not keep as dry but is more breathable and helps dry out and less mold. 

I need a cover. Custom or generic doesn't matter as long as it fits and is waterproof. I couldn't believe when I read the reviews of some of the Cablas ones that they were only water resistant and leaked.

On 5/20/2018 at 7:30 AM, canadianfcat said:

So are you looking for something as a generic fit or a custom fit made specific for boat.?

Now I also believe the old water proof covers weren't very breathable and led to that canvas mold smell where as the water resistant may not keep as dry but is more breathable and helps dry out and less mold. 

My cover has 3 vents.

Archived