GARAGE SALE FIND

fredfisher

I WAS surfing kijiji looking for potential garage sales to hit on the may 2 4 wknd....I see one place has 4 mounted deer heads for sale...and asking good money! whats the call on this? forget about this?1800MNRTIPS? go to the sale to educate?

FF

Most people don't know game mounts cannot be sold ,even though good money has been spent to mount them . I wasn't aware myself that I could not sell my moose rack  but can only give it away .  The owner may have moved out because of health or passed away , etc.  What to do with them if no one wants them ?  The reason ....think ivory.....When money is involved , people will look at the profit motive  . Deer-moose meat is already a motive for poaching ....add $500 -$1000 for a head mount and that just adds fuel to the fire .

ABOUT 7 years back I bought a beat up 10 lb walleye mount that was beat down..rough shape .It was from Moon River 1968 on the plate in behind...a guys name too....ill have to look into that again...maybe I can reunite the angler with his trophy...might make for great reality TV...if anyone has a good recorder this may be worth while!

** the garage sale has a price tag on the bucks @$250 a pop!    that's pretty dear............

That link pretty well sums it up Drifter .  But I didn't see anything about trading my moose antlers for a......

And THEN we have these so called hunters who zero respect for laws or animals ......They need to be jailed and have there play tools taken away for life ......

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/18/more-than-hundred-charges-filed-against-alleged-poachers-in-demented-social-club.html

Here is the quote from the Hunting regulations:

In general, it is illegal to buy, sell or barter any game wildlife or specially protected wildlife or their parts (including taxidermy mounts). There are some exemptions – please contact your nearest ministry office to find out what these may be.

Thanks genec....looks like I can't trade off the rack  for snow tires ......but, wait a minute ...  " buy , sell or barter".   Trade is a tad different , so I may be able to trade my moose rack for a stuffed duck .......or deer head .....:dunno:  Seems like I find the grey areas ......Will need to call the exemption dept . B)

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, Chrisb said:

So did anyone call the tips line?

I did not...was hoping the CO's that review this forum would do a lil detective work

I'm sure they were informed buy a Kij reader  or mnr that they could be fined ....maybe some way to get a permit . If you can't "give" them away , do you toss them in the dumpster ?  I  hope not......

I have a 50" moose rack that will be destroyed by the squirrels if I hang it outside ....unless I put up a tall sturdy metal pole and grease it .....so it sits in the garage rafters ......?

The way I see it is this... The deer that have been mounted are already dead. No harm is going to come of any animal and really what someone else is selling is none of my business. I really do hate do-gooders who are just looking to stick their nose into someone else's business that they have nothing to do with. I understand the reasoning for not being able to sell mounts as it pertains to hunters only looking to make a profit by specifically trying to kill wildlife to sell the mount. In this case why bother with someone else's business and even more so when you are just an anonymous person to them. What if the mounts for some reason are legal to sell? Do you know for sure that they are not? I really hate people who think they are doing the right thing by reporting a crime when they do not know 100% for certain that it is a crime. I say leave the person alone unless you know without a doubt that they have broken a law. I am pretty sure nobody here can say without a doubt that they are breaking a law as there are exceptions to selling wildlife mounts.

Moral of the story... don't cry wolf.

Well if your not sure it's a crime wouldn't be calling mnr be the proper way to find out anyways... besides that if we "minded" our own business you might as well be poaching too because your just as guilty by enabling... If it wasn' for half of this forum not minding their own business most fishing spots would be over run with garbage worse than it is now and people would be pillaging our local fish stock with nothing left for the real outdoorsman and woman...This is our business.. if you fish if you hunt if you like the outdoors than it is our business..... but sure keep enabling just don't b!tch when it' gone 

Just for my curiosity I Googled Kijiji  to see what we cannot sell .....

There is a long list of prohibited items , but there are many mounted specimens for sale . If it's illegal , the mnr would certainly be aware and come down on Kijiji for posting these ads .   Personally , I don't see a big problem with someone asking $$$ for a mount that someone paid a good buck for....Maybe the owner passed away ....and the family could use the money ..... Maybe the mnr can advise options for disposing of old mounts....

.....here's some kijiji ads with some pretty pricey  mounts ......

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/taxidermy-mount/k0l9004

Could be a taxidermist trying to recoup money that was owed and client didn't show.

24 minutes ago, boogaloo said:

Could be a taxidermist trying to recoup money that was owed and client didn't show.

In that case boog ,  I think the taxidermist may have a special license or permit to sell ......As genec said , look in the hunting regs ....

I did some taxi-d work over the years but only do the odd fish or two yearly for family-friends or very rich dudes ....?

....and I wasn't aware just a few years ago that I could not advertise my moose rack for sale . That's why I commented earlier that I'll trade trade them for a nice  whatchyougot ? 

19 hours ago, WalleyeChaser said:

Well if your not sure it's a crime wouldn't be calling mnr be the proper way to find out anyways... besides that if we "minded" our own business you might as well be poaching too because your just as guilty by enabling... If it wasn' for half of this forum not minding their own business most fishing spots would be over run with garbage worse than it is now and people would be pillaging our local fish stock with nothing left for the real outdoorsman and woman...This is our business.. if you fish if you hunt if you like the outdoors than it is our business..... but sure keep enabling just don't b!tch when it' gone 

Are you a lawyer? I'm not a lawyer. One thing I despise is people who make false/unfounded accusations of others. Nobody reading an online ad knows 100% for sure that what this person is selling is illegal. Have you ever had false accusations made of you? I have, I have also seen it made of other people. I was indicted for theft over years ago. The trial lasted less than 5 minutes because I was innocent and the person who accused me was a wife beating drug addict. It cost me over 8 thousand dollars and a whole lot of stress. I know people who have had CAS called on them for no just reason and it is traumatic. Too many people "think" they know the law or "think" that something is wrong and set off a whole chain of events because they really do not know.

I guarantee law enforcement regularly checks online sale sites looking for things like this. Let them do their job and for the rest of us, unless we are 100% sure someone is breaking the law, leave people alone. It's really that simple. Even more so in this case as no, I am no poaching by ignoring something like this because the animal is already dead. There is nothing about selling a mount that is even remotely close to poaching. Good way to try and spin it though.  

It' just like poaching tho... if you legally allow any tom.dick or Harry to sell game/fish mounts you might as well be poaching your creating a market for the sale of dead animals... which is illegal........ but since it's not a silverback or white rhino we should just mind our own business it' Canada right that stuff won't happen here.... ?

Check out my link above .....there's a full moose head mount for sale on Ebay for $3000  ....plus $1500 for shipping ......looks like there's already a legal ? business going on selling wildlife .  It would be nice for a mnr rep. to chime in , but it looks like a legal "trade" going by what is being sold on line .....:dunno:

The question is this... are there any provisions anywhere to allow someone to legally sell something like this online? If the answer is yes, I think you mind your own business and not be a nosey do-gooder. If the answer is no then make the call. If you are not 100% sure someone is breaking the law, don't get involved. If the person selling the mounts for some reason is doing such legally, now all you are doing is 1) wasting their time 2) creating a lot of stress for them without reason and 3) most likely costing them money. All that because you "think" they might be doing something wrong, not because you "know" they are doing something wrong.

Maybe you guys like other people meddling in your business but I don't and I refuse to intervene in anyone else's business if there is any doubt whatsoever as to whether they are breaking the law or not. How would you feel if someone called the MNR because they felt you were fishing within 22.9m of a dam? Or maybe someone didn't see your flashlight in your boat and called the OPP on you?

Some people need to get something better to do than tattle tale about something that is really none of their business.

Guest brookie slayer

I would hope our hard working CO's have more important things to worry about than going to every garage sale and fining people over 5lb bass mounts.

Thats the pro

19 hours ago, corey said:

The question is this... are there any provisions anywhere to allow someone to legally sell something like this online? If the answer is yes, I think you mind your own business and not be a nosey do-gooder. If the answer is no then make the call. If you are not 100% sure someone is breaking the law, don't get involved. If the person selling the mounts for some reason is doing such legally, now all you are doing is 1) wasting their time 2) creating a lot of stress for them without reason and 3) most likely costing them money. All that because you "think" they might be doing something wrong, not because you "know" they are doing something wrong.

Maybe you guys like other people meddling in your business but I don't and I refuse to intervene in anyone else's business if there is any doubt whatsoever as to whether they are breaking the law or not. How would you feel if someone called the MNR because they felt you were fishing within 22.9m of a dam? Or maybe someone didn't see your flashlight in your boat and called the OPP on you?

Some people need to get something better to do than tattle tale about something that is really none of their business.

Thats the problem we think it's always better if we get each other in hot water if you know it's not legal take that person and ask him if he knows i bet you will find 9 out of ten they didn't know . sometimes it makes us a better person to just educate then try to get them in trouble with the law.

Going back over 8 yrs.ago I posted a story about a pair of geese rolling an egg towards the water at Rennie Park . The egg was just about to roll into the water & I  grabbed it before it rolled into the cold drink . I could not find a nest in the nearby reeds ,sooooo , I took the egg home .....MISTAKE !! 

here's a copy & paste from the archives .......

I got a call from a conservation officer today . Someone called them and put in a complaint about the goose egg that I took from the spot where people fish etc. He told me that one cannot take a wild birds egg for any reason ,even if it's in a place where it may get tramped or left for other preditors to eat . So , I would like everyone to know I made a mistake to take this egg ,even if I thought it would be broken or end up in the water . The co told me it sends a message that someone may think it's ok to gather goose eggs for eating or trying to hatch them for some reason . I would like everyone to know the mnr is following up on complaints and doing their job . He equated this with someone finding a fawn which appears to be abandoned and people will take it to the humane society etc. Of course , the best thing to do is leave it alone and most likely , the mother will not be far way . To the person who called the co .......you did the right thing ......I was wrong .....lesson learned ! :(

That was 8 yrs ago .....I think the MNR has less resources today to do their jobs effectively , but will act on complaints ..... They do know what is happening out there .... :Gonefishing:

Archived