Boat launch at sunset beach?

Double_Dk

I remember seeing a boat ramp years ago when I walked my dog there but have never seen anyone use it. 

I have never really paid attention to it to be honest. That's why I'm asking about it.

If it is decent?  A pain?

My brother in law said it sucks there, but he has a brand new perfect boat and I think he just doesn't want to launch it there. If I remember it's concrete ramp and concrete dock?

Assuming your talking about the one by the canal at the end of Arthur street ... I see people use it, but it is not maintained in any shape ... I could be wrong, but I have never seen any city vehicles working on it or looking at it whenever I have been parked down there enjoying a coffee.

Depending on the size of the boat, I would reconsider using it if it was a larger boat ... also depends on water levels, I have seen times where most of the concrete dock beside the launch was under water ...

Sunset Beach is the new name for Municipal Beach  at Port Weller ....one of the nicer beaches for swimming , etc. The ramp had been there a long time , have launched there a few times long time ago ...not a good spot to launch in those large rocks when the lake kicked up . After this past year of super high lake levels ,  the ramp may have been damaged and the city wouldn't spend $$$ to repair it.

Anyone know where "Jones Beach" is  ?     :D

......According to the www.  Sunset Beach has a boat ramp available for small boats (daylight hrs.)  It may be worth a look see . There is a marina just across the canal if access is needed to the lake .

https://www.stcatharines.ca/en/playin/Beaches.asp

Just checked out about 100 photos on Wiki ....many shots of the ramp  , one with a guy with his yak & fishing rods .  Even if the ramp was in decent shape , as Walleye Chaser said the lake can get very choppy there......

As I sit here chatting away ......my wife pointed  out the picture behind me  of a dozen "sunset" photos I took with my 35mm Canon AT1 .....many years ago at "Municipal Beach"  .   Great spot for photos in the in the late fall as well .....

I launched there a few weeks ago for the first time. Lake was flat the day I went. I could see it being a problem if there was much chop. But im not putting my 16.5 footer in if there's much chop anyway!

Launched there once. If the water is a little low it’s not deep enough for a decent sized boat. Also like everyone else said, with a chop on the water it is very difficult to use. On the bright side it is free though

I use that ramp quite a bit . But it has to be an offshore wind . I've seen 3 boats sink there because of northwest winds crashing over the back of the boat . But if is a decent wind it's a good free ramp . Better if you have 2 people one to back in and other drive the boat on and off the trailer .  If we get to much wind blowing into the ramp the sand builds up and makes it almost impossible to use.

3 hours ago, fishermanfindlay said:

my wife works for the city Of ST.Catharines and the plans are all finished and they are about to start to redo all of Sunset beach with a brand new boat launch

Will it still be free of charge?

I have been on the fence about attempting this launch (Just bought my first boat last year) but just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. Have a 16ft Legend that probably would work but I think I also need to get my wife trained a bit more on driving the boat near a ramp before I attempt. 

Will probably use it quite often for an evening boat ride when we get the confidence. 

Archived