Martindale morning.

DNorton

Hit martindale this morning for 5am start time. Fished close to 3.5 hours had 4 carp in total on lost 3.” 1 to a snap line when it took off like a bat outta hell and swam into some underwater cover. Probably hardest hit I’ve ever had from a carp so that was promising. Had 2 shake my hook somehow   Whilst trying to net in the kayak. Did manage to land a modest 10lb in the kayak. Needless to say I was severely under prepared to fight them from the kayak what a rush! 

I also made a new packbait with using orange jello in the mix as I didn’t have any cherry / strawberry left in the house. Was pleasantly surprised as they all hit inside of 10 mins of chumming. Seemed to do the trick today so I think I might make a big batch for my next shore session. If the rain holds off I hope to get out on the water tomorrow morning again. 

Also I didn’t realize there was a big rowing competition going on this weekend so I managed to get out of the water before interfering with any of the races. Talked to a very nice bus driver from Michigan area for close to 20 minutes on the dock about all kinds of fishing styles and we exchanged some different tips on things we fish for. Was quite a nice morning out. 

Also got 1 small pike on my last few casts from the dock on a chartuse and white spinner. If I can figure out how to upload pictures I’ll put them up. 

Congrats on your gold rush day !  :Gonefishing:

Martindale is loaded with carp but many good spots have treacherous bottoms . One of my "go 2" spots now has too many branches , some which were a beavers home ,  and the "smart carp" will make a dash for them ....not a good result for the fish or fisher ! 

It's been too hot for this old bird to fish ....but this cool down is great !  It's time to give Jordan a try this week !

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

Congrats on your gold rush day !  :Gonefishing:

Martindale is loaded with carp but many good spots have treacherous bottoms . One of my "go 2" spots now has too many branches , some which were a beavers home ,  and the "smart carp" will make a dash for them ....not a good result for the fish or fisher ! 

It's been too hot for this old bird to fish ....but this cool down is great !  It's time to give Jordan a try this week !

I fished Jordan yesterday afternoon for 3 hours with my son in the kayaks. Launched from the conservation area the carp were in the Lilly pads jumping and thrashing about. Couldn’t get them to take any bait presentation. Was interesting. Ridiculously hard to fish for carp from a kayak I’m noticing. Anyways was a nice day out yesterday. Good luck this week! If I can sneak away I might try a shore session after work this week. 

26 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

I think I saw you guys there fishing the covered southside (of the boathouse) shoreline corner. I was wondering what you were fishing for. I thought maybe panfish or catfish. The water in that entire area is like 4 ft deep. Those carp are moving all around so by trial an error, you may be better off focusing  where they funnel or collect and chumming heavily over a couple of days to prime the area.I would imagine this would be better fished from a shoreline though, but there its tough as its overgrown or private.

Yea that was us my son was hoping for cats as he was just using worms. I brought carp bait with me so I figured I would try but no dice. Was more of a impromptu paddle then anything else. Was burning spinners 10 ft out from the pads trying to see if I could get a passing pike for dinner lol. 

2 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Lots of bullheads and channel cats in there.  If you don't have worms, just use  Gulp! (whatever form) close to bottom, but keep it moving. Maybe resting for 20 seconds, then reel a couple feet, repeat. The catfish love those fake baits and so do the turtles.

Thanks for the tip ! We’ll give it a go the next time out and see what happens. 

Archived