must haves for basic tackle set up

fredfisher

buddy at work says "what do I need to go fishing this Canada day weekend". I asked where hes going and he said" lovesick lake"......wiki took me to stony lake..????SM,LM,Musky??no walleye??

anyways what a must have in the box for a basic beginner fisherman?

-needle nose pliers

-snap swivels

-mr.twister jigs n tails(maybe gulp)

-a big o

-mepps spinner #1-3

-snelled hooks,bobber and some split shots

-jitterbug(see smerchly!)

- your thoughts here______________

Guest brookie slayer

Stony has walleye ....just not the numbers it used to have... if we're talking about the one in the kawarthas..

Good musky water too

Large black and gold rapala minnow... shiner coloured jerk bait.perch coloured crankbait... white spinner..... drop shot weights and standout hooks with xzone natural coloured slammer... white swim baits....large torpedo ....leaders...flashlight...bug spray... 

My "go to" on lakes/rivers that have walleye and bass is the simple worm harness ...3 way rig  (3 way swivels). May need some weights over one ounce trolling deeper water . At Quinte we have caught eyes, bass ,channel cats . perch & huge drum on those things !   When we went for pike , I liked using the J-11 & J-13 Raps . They were great on the shallow bays near the weed beds . They would run about 5 feet deep unless some weight was added , and the occasional bass would take them .

I've fished it years ago we used to use small spinner rigs called little Joe's topped with a worm or if trolling a twister tail on it and a small splitshot 18" above it.works good in flowing water if shore fishing also.also black and silver Wally divers cast and retrieve or slow trolled 1.2-1.4

#5 mepps black fury. Works everywhere I have ever fished it. If you wanna improve it, take the treble hook off and replace it with a single hook, then Texas rig a black twister tail on it to make it weedless. 

Also a white big O. 

Those are my go to lures 

RIGHT ON guys...thanks for sharing...we have a great grocery list of lures and hardware to get this kid.its Ontario family fishing week and hes going out with some buddies..yes in the kawarthas. I see rods half price(a bunch of them) for Canada day week at CTC too...tight lines!!

ff

Oh oh oh!  I just had to chime in.  When you get swivels, make sure to spend a little extra and get BALLBEARING swivels.  Especially since Mepps spinners are on the must-have list. 

This will stop the frustration of line twist like nothing else!

...ok, now I'm happy.

my buddy lives in the hammer...gave him the list and he is set to go! thanks all for info! def lots of items I over looked!

happy Canada day all!

FF

On 6/27/2018 at 8:21 PM, waterjockey said:

All you need Lucky Strike victor spoon $2.99 for 2 with a worm and a couple split shots will catch everything

X2 a Victor spinner & worm will catch everything. 2 in a package Plus won't brake the bank:D sometime i'll put a stinger on it.

I fished Love Sick near the dam and caught Walleye with a plain old Jig & worm.

Hook sharpener

Nail clipper

rags

hand degreaser, alcohol, or baby wipe from dollarstore

extra spool of line

suntan lotion

mosquito replellant

bandaid

grocery bag- after I slipped and got my shoes and foot wet, I slipped on the grocery bag and wore my wet shoes back on, I was able to fish the whole day with dry feet on wet shoes.

water to drink.

split shot

sunglass

hat

Fishing vest with lots of pockets, to put most  of these item, so you just grab your vest  and go. check kijiji for deals.

For lures- Spoon and jigheads of different weight and grubs of different size and colors are my best lures.  some crankbait are also useful , some floats and some that dives. 

Archived