Van Go (Gone)?

smerchly

Well . my van is in Bracebridge ...smashed up but driveable  .A lady pulled out from a small plaza ...stopped for a second ,then pulled in front of my van (driven by my son-in-law) , &  stopped dead in the middle of the road going into the plaza . There was no time to avoid her (who is also pregnant) . Luckily , no serious injuries but extensive damage to my van ( hood, fender ,grill , headlights , bumper)  A lady cop came , said no charges will be laid as it occurred on private property . They may want to write it off , probably worth 2 grand or less in their books . I have spent over 4 grand lately putting it in nice shape . I'll be looking for a place to get it fixed cheap if insurance won't cover it . Maybe some wreckers can fix it up ....lots of the old Astros out there ....adjuster will give me an idea of what to do .

Arrrrrrgggg ....

its worth 4 grand then Bill.you have receipts proving that. didn't the cop do an accident report?whos name is listed first (at the top) on the report? S.I.L or preggers? I believe who's at faults name is listed at top...99% sure

4 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Good luck, Smerchly in your quest for another van.

This one will be fixed . I have seen them on Kijiji from $500 to $900 (300,000 plus kms) & still running.  I may be able to get a guy to fix it from his home garage . The police report says it's a no fault accident . My insurance co. will check that report to see if fault can be blamed on the other driver . Van is now in Welland & I'll take it in the morning to Glen Merritt  for an estimate . 

On 6/28/2018 at 2:24 PM, fredfisher said:

its worth 4 grand then Bill.you have receipts proving that. didn't the cop do an accident report?whos name is listed first (at the top) on the report? S.I.L or preggers? I believe who's at faults name is listed at top...99% sure

She was at fault Fred.....She hit the brakes and froze in the middle of the through road which the van was on . I'll  get a copy of the police report tonight and it will be sent to my insurance co.  If the insurance only pays out $1000 there is no point in paying for collision insurance . I have been paying insurance for 60 years with no claims....

edit.....estimate came to $3 grand .  Insurance lady said they will determine any payout by what the body shop says the van is worth . I told her I shouldn't have to pay a cent since the other party was 100% at fault & I will be without my van for a week .   The police report doesn't comment on the accident at all , only the location ,  vehicle I.D. and driver names & insurance co. If they won't cover  $3000 to fix my van ...time to change insurance company . A friend had his truck stolen ( so common these days) and they paid out nearly 40 grand ....no problem . I  have  received some tips , thanks to posting here ,  and I will check them out  while I'm waiting to here back from Cumis Insurance ....this coming Thursday .  I can still drive it in the meantime .

• 3 weeks later...

New info ....been over 3 weeks without my fishingmobile  . Co-op called today ...found more damage , now at $5100 , so they want to write it off  . They will call me  Monday , hopefully with a cash settlement offer .  I will have to take it elsewhere for a cheaper fix.  Glen Merritt does good work but are very pricey . Looks like the fishing rod will have lots of rest for another few weeks....maybe I'll polish up my mountain bike and hit the hills and valleys of the 12 for a while ( bass, carp ,cats, etc etc .)...if it cools a bit .....lots of shade at the 12 .   It's been too hot to fish lately . :Gonefishing:

Vandam.jpg

Thanks weedliner , I'll keep that in mind .  I'm waiting to hear back from insurance for a final offer . I hope to have it back by Mon-Tues to find a place to do the repairs ....got a lead to a place in the Falls . I don't mind fixing it with used parts from other vans....paint is cheap.

5 hours ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

There is a local one for sale. 1997 with 171500 kms for $6000.

About the same mileage as mine .  Maybe my insurance will buy it for me ....  or give me 6 grand to repair it .   NOT !   

Had a long talk with insurance lady about the details on the van like options on it , etc. ...probably a computerized estimate these days . Hope to hear from her today .  If the accident was my fault I could see them trying to low ball the payout (if any ) ,  I am the one losing  my vehicle for a month or more .. and paying insurance on it while it sits at the body shop . I'll tell her to check Kijiji and see the 6 grand van , same age ....

new info ....van is toast .  After taken apart they found previous repairs & broken rad bracket  , & welded rad support . Not repairable or driveable now. Maybe looking to buy the other van . My van is loaded with new parts and new Michelin tires . Will need to have it towed to my driveway ....have CAA .  Waiting to hear from the guy selling his van.....

On 6/28/2018 at 2:54 PM, I'm_A_Drifter said:

Good luck, Smerchly in your quest for another van.

Thanks Drifter ,  it looks like it's in good shape ....don't like the Dutch doors but I can overlook that . I sent that link to the insurance agent ....maybe they will spring a few more pesos if I buy it .  My old van has lot$$$ of new parts I could use .....

• 2 weeks later...

Got a great deal on the van and my insurance co. (Co-operators) came through for me . After talking with a very nice lady at Moncton, N.B. and sending her the info on the 97 Astro , she called back the next morning & said a check was on the way , tax included .....  didn't cost me a dime .  The new Smerchmobile  is in mint shape , full of options and has been christened today with it's first successful carp run !  I'm a happy camper & I hope to get another 21 years out of the van . 

Cheers  !!    ?

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Wow An insurance company actually came through.  Now next year your premiums go up.  Really who’s winning?

I asked about that Tyler ....no change in premium since there was no fault on my side . If I was at fault they  give you one freebee . I know a few who use Cooperators and are happy with there rates . It helps to have the house & property items insured with them as well .  My claim is peanuts compared to all the stolen vehicles they dole out for , like a stolen $50K truck .....

Archived