"Tick"ellish Situation

smerchly

I didn't get 2 hours sleep last night ....let our small dog ( pug/terrier) out for her usual night pee at 1:30 am ....Ten minutes later , she is still roaming the back yard at the chain link fence . I grab a flashlight ....something on the grass , dog going squirrely , panting ....then I see a bunch of fur(hair) !  It looked like she finally got a rabbit , but it was a possum ....a juvenile in size. She bit into it's back-stomach & probably shook it like a rag until it was dead . It's mouth was wide open, tongue hanging out , so I picked it up by it's (rat) tail & tossed it on a small pile of leaves in an enclosed area where she couldn't get at it so I could dispose of it this morning . In the meantime she was going nuts in the house ...wining ,barking ...so I let her out again in case she needed to pee . But she wanted at that possum ....Back in the house ...same thing ...out again 4:30 ...I went out to check to see if any more critters in the yard ....checked the "dead" possum....GONE !  ....found it alive under a piece of roofing valley tin . ...dog back in the house ...wining, barking , having a meltdown ! She could here the possum moving (she has radar) . Up at 5:30 . looking for possum ...no can find anywhere !  Didn't go back to bed , checked the whole back yard/gardens at 8:00 ...critter has vanished !  Yes , it played dead , but I  think it may die  later ....

After reading up about them , I  found they are beneficial for my back yard because they are efficient at eating TICKS !  

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=r-E4W6OVHcLAjwSnr63gDg&q=possum+eat+ticks&oq=possu&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0i67k1l5j0j0i67k1j0l3.1733.2770.0.19692.6.5.0.0.0.0.104.473.3j2.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.5.470.0..35i39k1j0i131k1.0.K-FuwPdm_j4

...maybe we should have one or two for pets......?  

We seem to be getting ticks in our backyard on a regular basis. Lots of critters roaming around on the street. Skunks at one house, squirrels in another attic. Rats and rabbits in the "natural" yard next door. One neighbour's dog has killed 2 skunks and our dogs have gotten 2 rats. OF course the dogs, and Judy have come into the house carrying ticks.

5 minutes ago, bigugli said:

We seem to be getting ticks in our backyard on a regular basis. Lots of critters roaming around on the street. Skunks at one house, squirrels in another attic. Rats and rabbits in the "natural" yard next door. One neighbour's dog has killed 2 skunks and our dogs have gotten 2 rats. OF course the dogs, and Judy have come into the house carrying ticks.

The house next to your back yard is over run with weeds and junk . The guy living there is a quad due to a heavy drug overdose many years ago so they would have to pay for yard maintenance ....perfect for ticks , rats and alley cats. 

Bruce ...I'm happy it was not a skunk ol' Maggie (killed)  !  I'll send the next possum out to you .....;)

Archived