No more fishing at Port Marina!!

Double_Dk

I have talked to her and Nino as well a few years ago ....very nice to talk with......  We spoke about the garbage and theft issues & I told her we would pick up after the slobs and keep and eye out for thieves . But ,as she stated ....a few can spoil a good thing for everyone . I don't blame her for the signs and we may see this happening in more places . In that photo that walkway was all a nice sandy beach in the 50's , until they brought in the big rocks & closed the beach down .....we call it "progress"  .   :mellow:

It will be interesting to see when the winter season comes in ... do they keep the fishers out when the boats are gone and will they keep the ice fishing out?

1 hour ago, Snags said:

It will be interesting to see when the winter season comes in ... do they keep the fishers out when the boats are gone and will they keep the ice fishing out?

Some legal stuff involved with that one Snags ....they can keep people off the docks  but entering the ice from shore may be more difficult to enforce . But the nimrods who leave garbage out there will make it easier for them to keep us out .  If the marina can legally keep us from ice fishing , then all the other marinas can do the same ....

The Marina should be applauded for allowing fishing for as long as they did, considering all the problems.  Certainly understand their decision, now, though.  Sad but necessary.

I do feel for those who fished the marina regularly( and respectfully ).

L.Gib Trash.jpg

....oh yes , there's some corn cans there too......

6 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

The Marina should be applauded for allowing fishing for as long as they did, considering all the problems.  Certainly understand their decision, now, though.  Sad but necessary.

I do feel for those who fished the marina regularly( and respectfully ).

Yes Mike ,  we all lose out because of a few bad apples .   We have the privilege of fishing places like Lake Gibson ,even though it's posted "No Trespassing", with special regard to entering the waters by boat , swimming, wading , canoe or kayaking ,etc.....but some guy decided he could take his blow up wake board and paddle down the fast current canal to Lake Moodie which feeds the two hydro plants .  I should have called the cops , but I was in a hurry to go home.....

And it was awful nice of the people who put their garbage in a clear bag , then leave it for someone else to drag away .....

25 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

The garbage issue is a stain all over. In our parks and even more frequently in parking lots of shopping areas and restaurants.

This is societal issue that needs to be corrected.

The biggest problem is catching them in the act . ...almost impossible ....and even more so with the night people , both anglers and non anglers . That leaves the property owners to make the decision ..... Other places, like the trash along the road ways & highways must be cleaned up by the city , or volunteers . Either way , these people have no respect for our environment  .....nice legacy to leave for their kids.....

I am actually surprised they did not nix fishing completely from the channel after someone cut loose two or three boats docked inside the channel one night about 10 years ago.

The issue at the end of the day is that no one cares, "someone will get paid to pick it up", yet the other common sentiment is "I won't take on that job because I am better than it" ... if you are better than it, then don't f***ing litter.  The amount of debris that gets washed up on some of the areas where the lakefront is not managed is unreal.  I will never say anything about littering, namely because there are enough meth-ed out ****nuts out there who I don't care to talk to, but I have seen kids littering, I have seen adults litter, I have seen seniors litter, sometimes it is a coffee cup, sometimes it is fishing line, and sometimes it is stuff that did not go into the trash.

Prior to vehicle access being denied at Gate 12, I fished it plenty ... and it was amazing the junk people would dump in there ... cars, renovation junk, lawn clippings ... and the effort some made to try and "hide" their dumpings was impressive, but if you are going to go to a ton of work to hide what you are doing, just take care of it the right way, would be much less time consuming.

" I have seen kids littering, I have seen adults litter, I have seen seniors litter, sometimes it is a coffee cup, sometimes it is fishing line, and sometimes it is stuff that did not go into the trash."

I have heard adults rage about all the junk laying around a fishing spot ....then toss a butt on the ground or in the water ......hmmmmmmm....:rolleyes:

the garbage problem has escalated over the years because of single use plastics ,from Tim cup lids to plastic bags .  I don't see anything changing for years to come .

Gate 12 was a fun place to fish Snags ,but roads like that were an invitation for the dumpy people to do their thing.....so ,they shut it down .(rightfully)

Queenston boat ramp might be next in line to be shut down. I spend more time picking up garbage there than I do fishing.

At Queenston there are 3 garbage cans and people throw there trash on the ground within 20 feet of one.

5 hours ago, boogaloo said:

At Queenston there are 3 garbage cans and people throw there trash on the ground within 20 feet of one.

Not much we can do with people that have single digit I.Q.'s ......  ?

Archived