Carping on the fly

DNorton

Hey guys just a few questions as I’m still somewhat new to fly fishing. Been targeting pannies and bass for experience and working on my casting. Would love to chase a carp on the fly been out once so far attempting it with no luck. I’ve been scouring forums and youtubeing but it mainly seems like most people sight fish them on the fly. Seeing as how I can’t seem to sight fish for them I’m wondering if there is other tactics I should go to? I’ve got a bunch of wooly buggers I’ve been tossing that the bass seem to love but can’t seem to get the carp I’m after. Maybe corn imitation? Not overly sure if there is something I could do to read the water to drop it in the right spot. The waters I’m fishing have been productive in the past for carp so I’m thinking it’s user error ?? I’ve read and seen on YouTube fly fishing for carp is a lot harder then other fish which is what draws me to the challenge so I’m not frustrated just wondering if there is maybe something I should try to change my luck. Thanks in advance for any insight.  

2 hours ago, WalleyeChaser said:

You can sight fish em in Jordan and along beaverdams with 2 feet and a heartbeat just bring some water and get ready to cover ground 

I appreciate the feedback not looking for spots I have spots that I know hold carp just wondering if sight fishing or “drag and drop” is the only way to get them to take the fly or is there alternative methods I could try. As I said I’m thinking it’s user error on my part so just hoping maybe someone has a different technique or style of fly maybe ? To help me out 

I just watched this Y.Tube video and really enjoyed watching them catching carp on a fly at the Bay of Quinte  .

First carp caught on the fly was a beauty mirror !

At 19:30  they show some of the flies used for the carp .....great photography and very informative ......Enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov1xP5Q_djQ

bag of dog food, chum the water, it should all float, wait till the carp come in and are actively feeding.  Tie a few "egg patterns" in brown to mimic dog food, once they are actively feeding, toss your "dog food fly" into the mix, fish on, hold on. 

13 hours ago, snakeman4 said:

bag of dog food, chum the water, it should all float, wait till the carp come in and are actively feeding.  Tie a few "egg patterns" in brown to mimic dog food, once they are actively feeding, toss your "dog food fly" into the mix, fish on, hold on. 

Good idea. So who wants to tie me some dog food flies? Hahaha. Jk

• 1 year later...

I am in same boat as you DNorton and preparing to get my fly gear soon. One justification to heavier outfit is that it will handle carp/large trout/pike/bass.

I have watch many fly carp videos in different scenarios. The buggier the fly looks the better. Cast well ahead and bring fly away from their faces like its escaping. Treat carp like they are as spooky as clear water trout.

Archived