Invaders !!

smerchly

I have always had a veg. garden for the last 50+ yrs.  The time has come to plant grass instead .  Next year I will have zero veggies growing as it gets more difficult to grow anything . A huge tree took over my first 30 x 40' with the roots choking off the plants' roots & water . The plants had a good start this year , but the heat & dry spell has killed off 60% of the tomatoes , even with watering twice a day . Some plants in another shaded area were doing well but 2 nights ago ,both me and my neighbour had a rat invasion .....found the large holes they dug under the fence . They are looking for food and they got my first ripe tomato !  :angry:  Last night some taller cherry tomato plants were torn down , broken off and half eaten tomatoes scattered  on the ground . This was the work of another possum .  My brussel sprouts had a worm invasion ( white butterfly) ...they eat up the leaves overnight ! 

Got traps set for the rats, & possum, plus I have some WARfarin  desert for the rats . The main cause of this is the heat ....strawberry plants all died ....need to cover them with netting as the birds will eat every berry . Tore them all out yesterday ....ready to be seeded over with grass.

Gardens are a lot of work ...very time consuming ....spend hours this morning putting chain link fence around the remaining tomatoes . This infringes on FISHING time & going away for a couple weeks .....don't want to infringe on neighbours to water gardens everyday whist away......SO....time to toss the shovels-rakes-hoes in & put extra gas in the mower for next summer .  The rats are hungry ....food is food , but garden attract them as well as mice and other rodents.   I hope to be fishing by October ....if it cools down a tad......:Gonefishing:     :coldsmiley:

Hey Bill, the entire neighbourhood has seen an increase in rat activity since they started ripping up and rebuilding the local sewers. They are looking for new homes and territory. Seen a few scurrying in the yard, other neighbours have similar complaints.

Minks (ferrets) are great rat killers ....also Terrier dogs .  Our little "Jug" Maggie has cleaned up  a few rodents in our yard as well .  Unkempt yards attract rodents as well as gardens . Rats will find food (even dog crap) and water in the hoods . The Falls also has a serious rat problem . We must take care where we use traps and poisons to keep our pets safe . 

Bruce , the older hoods and old derelict buildings are a rats paradise ! (ratz azz) !! The old GM plant is an example of "Ratville" . When I worked at GM , plant 2 , we had resident cats in the plant which cleaned up the mice . We have a few cats in the hood but they prefer to kill birds .  Old style spring rat traps , wire cage traps & Warfarin pellets ( and  Maggie) on the war zone  tonight ! 

Well ....one rat caught next door this a.m., and one for me just now ...both caught with the old reliable spring traps ....using kielbasa

Two down and ??? to go  !!!

Here it is , 2 weeks later & "something" is eating at the tomatoes everyday or night ...I think it's squirrels ....never seen a year like this since I moved here in 81 . No fall tomatoes this year , not much left .  More time on the lawn mower next year but certainly a LOT less work in the yard ...which frees up MORE time for ............................   :Gonefishing:    B)  .

Archived