NEW invaders

smerchly

Keep an eye open for these nasty biting machines ....I saw one like it in my yard a few days ago looking for a drink from the bird bath . Just another invasive species from Asia to deal with ..... World trade will bring us many more "new comers" I'm sure.  I hope these things don't kill off the remaining honey bees we have left ...

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8795722-japanese-hornets-shut-down-port-colborne-baseball-diamonds/

Wouldn't want to step on one of their nests, bad enough having to contend with yellow jackets when cleaning fish, sounds like a couple of these could steal your catch!

On 8/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, gunner-2 said:

There goes our honey bees i was just reading about this this is all we need 

Hopefully the last news on this story today at 6 p.m.  is true ! .... the "experts" don't know $hit from Shinola . I have very reserved opinions when I hear the word "experts" !  The "new" news is these insects are called "cicada killers" ! They sting cicadas to paralyze them, lay eggs on them to allow the larvae to feed off the cicada (nice & fresh) ! I found a live (dying) cicada on my driveway last week .   I think we use the word expert too much !  Keep the faith Gunner ....our honey bees are safe from these terrorists , for now ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reDJRD0FrgI

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

Hopefully the last news on this story today at 6 p.m.  is true ! .... the "experts" don't know $hit from Shinola . I have very reserved opinions when I hear the word "experts" !  The "new" news is these insects are called "cicada killers" ! They sting cicadas to paralyze them, lay eggs on them to allow the larvae to feed off the cicada (nice & fresh) ! I found a live (dying) cicada on my driveway last week .   I think we use the word expert too much !  Keep the faith Gunner ....our honey bees are safe from these terrorists , for now !  ?

I heard the same thing same thing they only kill cicadas i still would not like to be stung by one of these things they look like they would pack one hell of a punch

Not sure what those were, but I had a honey bee tree that I walked past for several years by my hunting spot and last year all the bees were dead and there were  giants hornets/wasps there, bigger than I had ever seen. When I googled it I found the Japanese hornet as likely one.

1 hour ago, mooseslayer said:

Not sure what those were, but I had a honey bee tree that I walked past for several years by my hunting spot and last year all the bees were dead and there were  giants hornets/wasps there, bigger than I had ever seen. When I googled it I found the Japanese hornet as likely one.

It seems it's getting more difficult to get the true story these days in the climate of political correctness and contrasting opinions from the "experts" . ...hence , many people are turning to the popular social media like Twitter , Facebook , Google , etc .  ...and these sites also have a lot of B.S. to walk through.....We have paid a huge price  trying to control invasive species ,  like fish, plants and bugs .

When we encounter things like this while out on the trail ,  don't be camera shy .

On 8/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, smerchly said:

It seems it's getting more difficult to get the true story these days in the climate of political correctness and contrasting opinions from the "experts" . ...hence , many people are turning to the popular social media like Twitter , Facebook , Google , etc .  ...and these sites also have a lot of B.S. to walk through.....We have paid a huge price  trying to control invasive species ,  like fish, plants and bugs .

When we encounter things like this while out on the trail ,  don't be camera shy .

They haven't been found yet but we might be facing another invader if we didn't have a tick problem all ready

What has changed over the years is massive global trade . We can expect many more problems like this in the future .

I'm not a fan of deadly pesticides , just read about a man who is dying from using Roundup at his job .....

I tried using "cleaning" vinegar  to kill some weeds on the grass ....turned them brown in a few hours ! No sign of them the next day , don't spray the grass !

I'd like to see alternative solutions like this to kill invasive insects .

• 2 months later...

We do however have European Hornets which look like a giant yellow jacket but they are harmless unless you are digging into their nest then look out. They do attack honeybees but not to the extent of Japanese Hornets. Japanese hornets have never been confirmed in Ontario. Not only does the media like to exaggerate but I sense so does Niagara Beeway. I attended one of their info sessions and it came off as sensationalism and fear mongering with a side of self promotion. 

Yes Daniel ,   many of us know all about "Fake News" .  But we must remain vigilant to protect our bees from other predators and man made chemicals . Bees do have natural predators such as the praying mantis ....just watched a short video yesterday from a newspaper on line of a mantis eating a bumble bee alive (gruesome) !  "They" have said , many years ago that some wildlife (jack rabbits) died off because of pesticide ingestion . We are not scientists so we only see what they tell us . Now some scientists are saying "we" cause global climate change" .  I take this as fake news also .  I don't believe much "they" tell us in my older days ......I don't vote for any of them now because "they" are siding with self promotion to line their pockets with lots of  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .   Bottom line .....grab the fishing rod , toss the phones , papers & TV in the trash bins and smell the roses .   :th_fudd:.......  :read:

I have seen praying mantis catching and eating humming birds in my backyard and in parry sound area , horrible to see but that's nature, there are videos on youtube if you want to see it for yourself . and the mantis only eat the brains of the birds, then discard the rest ,  poor little birds ?

Archived