Sign in to follow this  
smerchly

NEW invaders

Keep an eye open for these nasty biting machines ....I saw one like it in my yard a few days ago looking for a drink from the bird bath . Just another invasive species from Asia to deal with ..... World trade will bring us many more "new comers" I'm sure.  I hope these things don't kill off the remaining honey bees we have left ...

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8795722-japanese-hornets-shut-down-port-colborne-baseball-diamonds/

Wouldn't want to step on one of their nests, bad enough having to contend with yellow jackets when cleaning fish, sounds like a couple of these could steal your catch!

On 8/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, gunner-2 said:

There goes our honey bees i was just reading about this this is all we need 

Hopefully the last news on this story today at 6 p.m.  is true ! .... the "experts" don't know $hit from Shinola . I have very reserved opinions when I hear the word "experts" !  The "new" news is these insects are called "cicada killers" ! They sting cicadas to paralyze them, lay eggs on them to allow the larvae to feed off the cicada (nice & fresh) ! I found a live (dying) cicada on my driveway last week .   I think we use the word expert too much !  Keep the faith Gunner ....our honey bees are safe from these terrorists , for now ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reDJRD0FrgI

Edited by smerchly

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

Hopefully the last news on this story today at 6 p.m.  is true ! .... the "experts" don't know $hit from Shinola . I have very reserved opinions when I hear the word "experts" !  The "new" news is these insects are called "cicada killers" ! They sting cicadas to paralyze them, lay eggs on them to allow the larvae to feed off the cicada (nice & fresh) ! I found a live (dying) cicada on my driveway last week .   I think we use the word expert too much !  Keep the faith Gunner ....our honey bees are safe from these terrorists , for now !  🦀

I heard the same thing same thing they only kill cicadas i still would not like to be stung by one of these things they look like they would pack one hell of a punch

Not sure what those were, but I had a honey bee tree that I walked past for several years by my hunting spot and last year all the bees were dead and there were  giants hornets/wasps there, bigger than I had ever seen. When I googled it I found the Japanese hornet as likely one.

1 hour ago, mooseslayer said:

Not sure what those were, but I had a honey bee tree that I walked past for several years by my hunting spot and last year all the bees were dead and there were  giants hornets/wasps there, bigger than I had ever seen. When I googled it I found the Japanese hornet as likely one.

It seems it's getting more difficult to get the true story these days in the climate of political correctness and contrasting opinions from the "experts" . ...hence , many people are turning to the popular social media like Twitter , Facebook , Google , etc .  ...and these sites also have a lot of B.S. to walk through.....We have paid a huge price  trying to control invasive species ,  like fish, plants and bugs .

When we encounter things like this while out on the trail ,  don't be camera shy .

On 8/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, smerchly said:

It seems it's getting more difficult to get the true story these days in the climate of political correctness and contrasting opinions from the "experts" . ...hence , many people are turning to the popular social media like Twitter , Facebook , Google , etc .  ...and these sites also have a lot of B.S. to walk through.....We have paid a huge price  trying to control invasive species ,  like fish, plants and bugs .

When we encounter things like this while out on the trail ,  don't be camera shy .

They haven't been found yet but we might be facing another invader if we didn't have a tick problem all ready

What has changed over the years is massive global trade . We can expect many more problems like this in the future .

I'm not a fan of deadly pesticides , just read about a man who is dying from using Roundup at his job .....

I tried using "cleaning" vinegar  to kill some weeds on the grass ....turned them brown in a few hours ! No sign of them the next day , don't spray the grass !

I'd like to see alternative solutions like this to kill invasive insects .