Downrigger releases

Bubba14

Been out of the game for awhile, but when I was in I only used offshore releases the black with red rubber pads. Not those plastic jobs. 

Back in the late 80's/early 90's when I had a boat I toyed with rigging and had the offshore style. I found at that time that I just couldn't get the hang of it. Sometimes the line let loose as I was snugging up the line and sometimes it wouldn't release when I had a fish on. The Chamberlains kind of intrigued me and since I just got a boat again this year I want to get back out on the lakes.

I haven't experienced a single line release while dropping the ball using a Chamberlain, I also have mine set up for a light release upon a fish strike, it hasn't failed me once. I haven't dragged a single fish this season.

Back in the 80's , when "Sam the Barber" trolled Lake O. we used the Walker releases . We had some good tension on them while using 8" long flashers &  a rubber squid . We would set them as lightly as possible and keep adjusting accordingly . Trolling speed was faster for kings than for eyes & we used mono line which probably holds better than braid . I haven't fished with riggers since then......Good luck Bubs !   :Gonefishing:

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

Back in the 80's , when "Sam the Barber" trolled Lake O. we used the Walker releases . We had some good tension on them while using 8" long flashers &  a rubber squid . We would set them as lightly as possible and keep adjusting accordingly . Trolling speed was faster for kings than for eyes & we used mono line which probably holds better than braid . I haven't fished with riggers since then......Good luck Bubs !   :Gonefishing:

Like Smerch says, Walker releases were the cats azz back in the day. For less than $10, it was a release that never failed. Garage sale only find now,  I guess.

4 hours ago, fishingking said:

I've always used the offshore with the red rubber pads without a problem but im using 17-20 lb mono for those two rods and braid for the rest .I posted a bunch for sale new in classifieds if interested 

Yes, those are the good ones. The White offshore releases are the exact same, however a lighter tension more for walleye. 

Archived