Eating our catch

smerchly

With all the talk about contaminants in our lakes & rivers ,  some are reluctant to eat fish .  At least , we know what we are eating ....Cleaning them properly can reduce much of the "poison" , & thoroughly cooking them kills off "other"  bugs they may contain . 

We buy some of our fish ,  ready cooked at Fish & Chip shops & usually order middle of the road (lake/ocean) fish like cod or haddock , and we trust we are getting it , not polluck which is cheaper .  With the coating , I'm not sure if I could tell the difference ...never bought it . If you buy your fish at the supermarkets , fresh or frozen , is it halibut , or carp? 

So this .....   https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8865858-canadian-seafood-study-finds-some-fish-species-100-per-cent-mislabelled/

Tilapia anyone ? 

Unbelievable.  I would never have thought the percentage of mislabeled fish was so high!!!!!  Might explain why the 'tuna' I had at a restaurant a few months ago had me indisposed for a time.  

I know common names can fluctuate among species, but that's not what's being reported here.  Brutal.

I'm glad you brought that to our attention Smerch. 

This scam has been playing for a very long time. How else do you think some of these restaurants can afford to offer a dirt cheap Friday special. There has been a few times where I've sent the plate back and walked out because the halibut on the menu was cod or pollock

6 hours ago, canadianfcat said:

The article seems to more refer to Grocery Stores mislabelling not even restaurants.

So just when you think your doing your own buying and cooking to be safe ..you may not be.

It's far too easy for businesses to rip off consumers in Canada .They know all the tricks to cheat us & the governments don't care as long as they get their taxes from all the imported junk products .

This article explains how we get duped by the fish scammers ....."A fish caught in Canada , sent to China for processing , then sent to the U.S.A. for packaging is labeled an American product"   We really don't know what the fish is or where it came from . That goes for other foods and products we buy ....like honey .  Label our products ????  Sure !!!  :huh:

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8867440--laxative-of-the-sea-being-passed-off-as-premium-fish-in-canada-new-report/

I have not ordered "fish & chips" for many years. Too often disappointed. Plus, I will never let crap fish like Tilapia or Basa touch my lips. They are both farmed in filth..........Daniel

On 8/30/2018 at 4:31 PM, boogaloo said:

I have not ordered "fish & chips" for many years. Too often disappointed. Plus, I will never let crap fish like Tilapia or Basa touch my lips. They are both farmed in filth..........Daniel

Yes ,I have heard how they feed tilapia , and I wonder what our government "inspectors"  are saying about this ? They inspect restaurants for bugs , rodents and cleanliness but don't check what food is being served as per menu ?  Definitely not enough people to check the stores out for quality , etc.?  I guess it's buyer beware.....  :unsure:

We have bought the haddock and cod at Beamsville F.& C. and did notice a difference ....liked the haddock slightly more . We don't eat it often since it's cooked in grease ( ticker unfriendly) , but better than eating carp ....

They use all kinds of tricks to make fish look like it's fresh from the lake .....  :rolleyes:

fish eyes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the image from Kuwait,  Just like our Nafta deal, if the small percentage of body parts were just made elsewhere, it is still considered from local source,

I never touch our olive oil either, Been mislabeled in years Hard to find pure Olive oil anymore these days.

Hey guys, If you notice my personal profile...............I moved to Niagara Falls. so now I am a local boy now. 

Oh my gosh, Smerch, that maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen!!!!! 

My Grandkids just made me a cut out fish to stick on my fridge with those eyes on it.  The thought of a fishmarket gluing 'em on to real fish to make them appear fresh is hilarious( Unless of course I bought one! ). 

Archived