Wood varnish/protective coating

Bubba14

Hi guys, looking for some advice on a wood coating/preservative. I have an older Crestliner Fish Hawk. Most of the wood had been replaced prior to me buying it. It is a side console and the left side piece and foot-well piece of the console need replacing. They are currently covered in vinyl but I'm looking at replacing the wood and applying a varnish coating. Looking at the big box stores around me I have found Minwax Helmsman, Armor Coat Spar Varnish and Duralux Marine Spar Varnish. Any and all suggestions are welcomed...

Thanks a bunch!

A friend of mine used to rebuild old wooden boats and he used a product called "Back Spar". Sorry, that is all I remember...............................Daniel

I am a wood worker by trade. The helmsman spar varnish is likely your best bet. We used to use it for all our exterior products. The higher the sheen the better it will protect and the longer it will last. Just takes a long time to dry. Make sure to use 2 coats with adequate dry time and sand between. Re-apply every few years. If you can find an exterior polyurethane it will last longer, but all the big box stores polyurethane is not a true polyurethane, they are generally a water based poly enhanced varnish and are not that great. You could try Niagara protective coatings in Niagara Falls, you may find a better product, but the helmsman spar varnish will not disappoint. 

Best of luck

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for the info guys. After lots of interruptions with family related stuff I have finally completed the varnish. I used a grey stain as my boat is grey, then four coats of the Helmsman and it looks fantastic!! Hopefully going to put it back together tomorrow.

Archived