Merc start problem

cplummer

I have a 25 hp 2 stroke mercury outboard. Went out this morning got on lake then she wouldn't restart...it ran with choke on but it wouldn't run. I squeezed the gas bulb and it sounded like air and gas bubbling. The bulb never got hard at all. Any suggestions what i shoild be checking?

Thanks

Cliff

Check your fuel hose connection at the motor. I had this problem with my trolling motor, would hear air bubbles in the fuel tank when pumping the ball, and motor would not start. It’s likely sucking air in around the fitting. Nice simple and cheap fix if this is the problem

Full tank of gas..held arow up like Smerch suggesred .. Bsll got hard but as i kept squeezing she was pissing gas from carb area...no idea if she will start no muffler for water..

Tank is brand new.. And yes full..i read all suggestions .. Now i have to deal with the gas pissing out carb area.. I did swueeze that ball hard but kept squeezing... Thank you all for the great advice... Kinda insulting about no fuel though lol

7 minutes ago, shoemaker said:

Float stuck in bowl of carb?

There is a little red pin i pushed it up and down a few times.. It's on the top of the carb.. I am guessing that what it's for?

If u see it leaking from where the bowl attaches to the carb u may have pushed the rubber gasket outta the groove it sits in between .u take screw out the bottom of bowl ,drop bowl down and run your finger around pushing the gasket back into place then ,put bowl back on but don't over tighten screw as it will cause it to leak again.then try squeeze the ball and check for a leak and make sure ball gets hard . sometimes high test fuel causes rubber gasket to expand out of position .I've seen this twice now .once we had to boil a gasket to shrink it back to size to fit .good luck with whatever it is

This motor has under 50 hours on it.. Old guy bought boat and never used it.. I did get new plugs and impeller on it as well as a new prop.. I use high grade gas and mercury 2 stroke oil and mix 50:1

On 9/7/2018 at 7:29 AM, penetrator said:

Always check the easy stuff first, 2 stroke's love to eat spark plugs, if you are squeezing the bulb and gas is coming out the carb's overflow sounds like it getting fuel. if it ran a short bit and died could be the fuel diaphragm. but check the plugs first.

Changed the plugs.. One was faulty. Runs great now..

Guy said plugs were new.. Nope

Archived