Trash cleanup Day

smerchly

Just read about a trash committee that only had 4 volunteers show up yesterday . They expected 60 or more .  No reason was given for the poor show ....maybe they fear the tossed needles by the dopers , or just too busy . I post this story since fishing both Jordan and Gibson yesterday ( post in carp threads) . The garbage is really piling up ....and it is mostly tossed by anglers . I'm surprised we can still fish these spots !

Years ago we (NFN) members did a huge cleanup at Jordan . Prizes were awarded for the heaviest bags (some had bricks lol) ... I think there was over 2500 lbs collected .

The question is ....how can we stop this insanity ?  Heavy fines , like $1000 per offense would be great , but it's difficult to catch them in the act . Way back when people actually had more manners etc., the city hired people to collect trash  but can't afford the min. wages today . Maybe we need a new 1% tax on all packaging to pay people to clean up after the slobs who trash .  We pay to keep people on welfare etc etc etc ....so it wouldn't be a cost to us .....  :dunno:   Our plastic society needs some new laws !!!  .....

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8888583-lack-of-volunteers-for-annual-fall-cleanup/

It does not need to take an organized event to clean things up. People just need to clean up after themselves, and their neighbour, as needs be.  I'm working on my third pile of tin cans this year. I always have a bag in my pocket and am always picking up wherever I travel and in the neighbourhood. I don't leave behind crap, nor will I allow anyone else in the family. Call it old fashioned and barbaric, if you want, but a swift smack to the back of the head does wonders.

Lets borrow a proven method from our neighbours to the south and put the boys in the "Thorold Hilton" to work on the "chain gang".

In Canada , if a member of the chain gang pricks his finger with a needle , he would become a millionaire after suing the government for forced labour .

The amount of garbage at Gibson would fill a pickup truck . Heavy gloves and a mask would certainly be needed .

I'm sure the parks and waterways in NY are much cleaner than ours , but not sure about the cities like Buffalo or Rochester .

The  tossed line and garbage will continue until the cities get serious or  the  signs go up .  It would be good to have the first page in the regs. dedicated to this subject with $1000 fines from C.O.'s or police . When we left our hunting-fishing camp sites on remote islands or bush ,  we made sure we didn't miss a bottle cap . One of the 6 guys smoked and his butts went into the fire pit .....going back over 40 years here.....

years back if a person was on welfare and able to work they were made to work 20hrs. a week to collect there money. I know a few people who went out and found jobs then. they should bring that law back .put them to work 3 days a week picking up garbage. Now days a kid turns 16 they quit school move out of home and collect welfare .then they sit back and party with drugs etc. until the money is gone . then they look for things to steal for more drug money . td

If you really want to see trash, drive down some of the rural roads and look in the ditches. people from the towns too cheap to pay the dump fees drop their bulk trash along the side of the road out of view from prying eyes. The end of ormond street was a nightmare. Lord knows how many times I've had to pick up crap dumped in front of the farm. That is until I bounced a couple of rocks off the one pig's truck. Pity I didn't smash the windshield.

Trash is EVERYWHERE ! ..  too much packaging and food containers that get tossed away . Millions of plastic water bottles produced everyday & tossed ,and on and on.... That will not change , so we need more people to clean up after the piggies.  Using welfare people to do it will also cause lawsuits from hurt backs to cut hands . We have to hire Mexicans to pick our fruit and do other farm work ....maybe hire them to clean up after our pigs , and pay them well .

............no slur intended on our pigs with 4 feet ..........

Archived