Spooled ?

smerchly

I've been fishing for 65+ years and have never been "spooled" .  But I came very close to it yesterday . I  knew I had something extremely heavy , hugging the bottom and moving at a steady walking pace . I was running out of my 10 lb. mono line and had to hike it for about 200 yards . The fish wasn't giving an inch ....like I hooked submarine !  Finally , with only 8-10' of line left on the spool I wrapped the line around my hand and held steady , until ...POP...the line went limp ....hook was bent but still intact !  Don't know what it was but I suspect it was a big ol' sturg. !  That is the closest I have ever come to losing all my line . I was using a worm / spinner combo....next trip....heavier rod & reel !

I suspect some of you guys/gals may have been spooled by salmon or musky or a big lake carp !  ....any volunteers ? 

I dunno Smerch.  I'd say when you get down to the last few yards and you wrap the line around your hand, you've been spooled!  lol

That's a thrilling thing to have happen.  Too bad you never got to see it, but this way, the story is even more interesting!

Ya Tom , I may have snagged it on the belly or chin . I visited Peters today to get a few spinner blades,  hooks & weights ....will set up my heavier rod & 4000 Stradic for my next outing . Any large fish in current requires stronger gear when they want to head out to Toronto .

Mike ,  I wouldn't try wrapping the line around my hand when using 20# braid or mono . ....maybe around the back of the reel or tighten the drag .

Good crowd down there today ....forgot it was the Kids Derby !  

3 hours ago, DNorton said:

Just was in Peters today and loaded up on some carp gear for hopefully a good outing today. 

I noticed a good supply of carp rods while I was checking out the bait runner reels with larger spools  . ...looks like most reel makers these days don't include a second spool . It 's handy to have in case you get SPOOLED !   lol

Good story Bill. Years ago My Buddy came out in my boat on Lake O and the only rod I had for him was an 8 ft. Fenwick with a Mitchell 300 and deep spool with 12 lb. line. He hooked a Salmon off the rigger and by the time I got my line in and both manual riggers up, he was out of line. I got the boat turned around and chased the fish and we managed to land it. 22 lb. Chinook. We still laugh about that one............................Daniel

Brings back old memories Boog .....We had manual riggers and we would turn the boat and net the fish from the port side usually .  I used a Stradic 4000 with 17# Stren mono ....hooked into a hog in 25 fow , just  off the west pier at Port Dal.,  & it wrapped around the rigger wire & under the boat ....then came back out of it ! It went 25 lbs., best king of my lifetime .  And we laughed about that one too !  I have a paper picture of that one ..

Archived