Erie in a tinner

Scott M

Hey all, I read lots and hear lots about the amazing fishing happening out of crystal beach. I have a 14' aluminum with a 25 Yamaha. On a calm day would I be crazy to go out there? Where can I find good info on weather? I only ever hear waves being less than one half meter. Well in a tinner a half meter wave is tsunamic.

Hey Scott .I have a 16 ft smoker craft with a 40 mariner and I really have to pay close attention to the weather channel.amy winds outta the west or south u can forget it .outta the north I usually go if it's less than 10 km wind early in the morning il go for a couple hours .it helps to have personal contact to get an exact condition by eye of the lakes current condition .any east wind under 18-20 km is fine if going outta crystal beach.port not so much sometimes..all in all crystal beach is usually an easier go for smaller boats .if it's dead calm your obviously good to go anywhere but keep in mind that can change within a 20 min period of time and Erie can become super nasty so being out even a couple miles can be dodgey.i always head out against the wind when I go out in hopes of having a safer ride back in with the waves and not into or across .I also try to stay in contact with someone who might be out at the same time just for backup plans .engine failure or other emergency etc....

and make sure you have all the appropriate gear on board !

Archived