Deer butcher near St.Catharines

Markster

Does anyone know of a butcher near st.Catharines that cuts deer?

I see a previous post for Greg Bodner in port colbourne, (which appears to be a good option) but i just wondered if there was someone closer to me.

Thanks.

I'm with you Dave...I do all my own butchering as it is so much better with the care I take to get all the fat, bone and silverskin off...which I think is what causes any sort of gamey taste in the freezer. I can do a medium size deer myself cut, vacuum sealed and cleaned up in a few hours.  Better with a friend and a few beers and doesn't even seem like work.

Did 4 bears and a moose so far this year and hopefully a deer will come my way soon.

To properly age meat it is best to hang at least 24 hours in temperatures above freezing but below 40F. Aging just makes it more tender and if it is warmer I just butcher it earlier especially if it is not an older deer. I open my window in the garage and put a fan on the deer if it is warmer. A friend hangs quarters in an old fridge but leave the hide on or it will dry out the outside and you end up trimming it off.

Here is an article on it...

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2006/01/deer-hang-time

Thanks for the info guys.

I've done them myself in the past but I don't have the time or the facilities to keep them cool enough long enough anymore to get the job done right.

i've used a butcher in st.catharines in the past but I guess he's no longer cutting deer. Lots of options now though. Thanks.

Archived