Float fishing at whirlpool

iscoDisco

Hi I moved to welland 2 months ago and caught my first salmon with Rapala J13 at Port Dalhousie this October.

I heard Niagara whirlpool is great place in this region.

Do you think float fishing with white 1/4oz zig will work for steelhead??

Can I also try float fishing with beads??

Welcome to the region!  Different times of the year different baits work.  From roe to streamers, beads, rubber minnows etc...  lots of places to shore fish on the river from the whirlpool down to queenston.   You're close enough to fort erie which has some great fishing as well.  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

If you are just learning the river be prepared for some leg work..some hiking around.. lots of frustrations and donating tackle to the fish gods.. but persistence pays off... read the water... note weather patterns... match the hatch and the rewards can  be great.. go home with a smile and a sore arm from cranking them in 

On 11/30/2018 at 3:02 PM, Jwl1 said:

If you are just learning the river be prepared for some leg work..some hiking around.. lots of frustrations and donating tackle to the fish gods.. but persistence pays off... read the water... note weather patterns... match the hatch and the rewards can  be great.. go home with a smile and a sore arm from cranking them in 

I've been there for hike and it is surely a lot of leg work lol.

It looks like I should learn a lot while I am donating tackle to river!

Look at the water next time you visit the pool...you will find Rapids...back currents...eddies...slow drifts...deep drop offs and shallow beds all in the same bowl

4 hours ago, iscoDisco said:

I've been there for hike and it is surely a lot of leg work lol.

It looks like I should learn a lot while I am donating tackle to river!

Wow that reply came out weird... me caveman me hate my stupid phone... also you want to make sure to spread your weight in increments down your line so that your bait drifts as straight down from your float and same speed of the current as you can....if you watch you can see the distinct line of some current drifts in the water...throw a stick in and watch what it does 

Also keep in mind....salmon spawned out a while back...littered the bottom with dead soldiers.....Lakers are known to scavenge and that coincides with their spawn making the river fertile with eggs for a bit.. so matching the hatch for early steel with roe makes sense if you think about it....then after that it's the winter baitfish feedbag😉

If you aren't sure on how much weight to run.....look at it like this...... set your float where you can see your line for some practice  casts....if your line drifts and lags behind your float.... too much weight...if it drifts in front not enough..... then set your float stop to how deep you want to fish....and spread your weight up your line..... sorry to babble....just trying to help....I have over 40 years solid experience fishing the river from fort Erie  to Niagara on the lake and although most don't know me here... the ones that do know I have managed to accidentally catch one now and again😁

On 12/1/2018 at 10:36 PM, Jwl1 said:

If you aren't sure on how much weight to run.....look at it like this...... set your float where you can see your line for some practice  casts....if your line drifts and lags behind your float.... too much weight...if it drifts in front not enough..... then set your float stop to how deep you want to fish....and spread your weight up your line..... sorry to babble....just trying to help....I have over 40 years solid experience fishing the river from fort Erie  to Niagara on the lake and although most don't know me here... the ones that do know I have managed to accidentally catch one now and again😁

Thank you for details!! It was such a kind advice I can hear from real fisherman!! I am planning to go upper on Monday.

Do you know how deep should I run for float fishing??

Archived