Chest wader advice

Limey

Right guys a few questions I could use a bit of advice about,  in England I only ever had the need for rubber hip waders so I'm pretty clueless regarding chest waders...

Been offered some brand new red ball lacrosse neoprene boot waders for $75, are they any good? I can't seem to find any reviews online,  seems lacrosse bought red ball out a few years ago? These would only be a cheap stop gap until next year when I plan to upgrade which brings me to my next question...

Stocking foot or boot foot? I don't exactly go down there THAT often but I don't think I'd fancy the trek up/down to the whirlpool in boot foot? So I'm leaning towards stocking foot,  what boots would you all reccomend? I'm guessing you have to go up a couple of sizes to accommodate the stockings?

And finally what do you wear underneath neoprenes? Next year when the funds/wife allow I'll probably be looking to get a summer pair and winter pair.

Really appreciate any advice,  cheers, nathan. 

Oh big shout out to fishfighter (Joshua), great to meet you yesterday mate,  the advice I got from you in such a small amount of time was fantastic,  already got most of my hooks sharpened, amazing difference,  you the man 👌

Almost everyone had redball neoprene back in the day but the've been out of buisness quite some time so the ones you'd be buying would have well above 10-15 years on them.They did make a durable wader though. Bootfoot neoprene have one advantage and thats their warmth. Aside from that you sweat inside them if you do any walking, which you will on Niagara and bootfoots can be annoying and cluncky. A pair of stocking foot breathables is the way to go. Much better fit. Sail has rapala breathables on right now 1/2 off for 99. Might be worth a look. As for layering, yes go a size up in the boot to allow for thick socks. A good pair of proper wading socks go a long way. Than a pair or 2 of fleece or merino underlayer pants depending on weather. 

Great stuff mate,  I'll take a look at the sail rapala ones now. 

Are the boots just normal hiking boots or specifically designed for waders?

Boots are usually wading boots. Thats the only thing is the upfront cost of 2 items. Wading boots can get pricey but should be able to find a cheaper pair if you look around. I'm using Cabelas Guidewear ones right now and they're great. Another word of advice is get boots with the removable steel studs if possible. They go a long way for grip not just in winter but in any hiking/climbing you'll encounter

Simms or Patagonia are the most popular of breathable waders. The reason for this is the lifetime warranty. A good pair of waders does not come cheap, as are the boots. Think of it as a one time investment. yes, you can find cheaper waders and boots but don't expect them to last nearly as long. Neoprene waders are pretty much a thing of the past...great for cold weather wading but you sweat like a donkey with any hiking in spring and early fall. Waders are a serious investment in keeping you comfortable and dry. Quality boots with studs attached and good ankle support are just as important. I wear a size xl wader and my shoe size is 11.  I buy my boots in a size 13.  two sizes bigger than my shoe size. My feet fit my wading boots nicely with wiggle room for my toes and extra pair Marino wool socks. I wear cheap fleece track pants under the waders in cold weather. Never feel cold at all even in winter run rivers. I highly suggest a reputable good fitting quality boot and wader over the cheaper versions if your any kind of avid fisherman that goes out often. Cheap will work...no doubt, but for how long before you have leaks. 

Archived