Cormorant news

NiagaraRiverFisher

Just received an email from the SCGFA regarding cormorant  hunting .  I have seen them by the thousands at Port Dal. , Jordan , Lake Gibson , but hunting is banned in these areas . The MNR wants some input from hunters about culling these non eatable birds and will allow a 50 limit per day with no possession limit . They must be disposed of "properly" ? Shot size is another issue since lead shot is banned ......  We know there will be groups who will oppose this and questions remain..

Fishing/hunting boards like this one can help with their hunting knowledge . I'm sure there are many questions and concerns . This is the link posted by the SCGFA

https://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/displaynoticecontent.do?noticeId=MTM2NTE1&statusId=MjA4MDQ4&language=en

I think the chances of it passing is very good right now if they receive any overwhelming amount of support for it , Otherwise I donf see why they would have gone this far with the proposal. Also right now with a majority conservative government it's now or never on this issue IMO. Please take a few  moments to formally submit your comments 

On the other hand .......The U.S. government has used "lethal" force to exterminate these birds .  We should not be the only source to do the work our government should be doing as well .  There will be a lot of resistance from bird/animal groups to this and we will take the flack as well .

I tried to find a cormorant population count on line but because they are so very wide spread I guess it varies from year to year . Cormorants eat alewives and perch which could be detrimental to other species dependent on these food sources .

I hope the MNR steps up to the plate as well .....There are millions of these eating machines and I doubt our little shot guns are going to have much affect on reducing them .  This link has some good info .....we must consider what others think of shooting these birds ...I'm sure there will be a lot of "debating" the issue very soon..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/lawmakers-control-cormorant-great-lakes-1.4702196

I am going to disagree on the bounty as it would encourage too much stupidity since there is money attached to a cormorant.  There would be some idiot trying to get a quick buck in Port Dalhousie or in the Niagara River.  Most hunters would respect the rules, but certain areas there would be a very quick buck to be made and it would just be a matter of being caught or making your buck.  One area I used to ride my bike (within the city limits) ... there would be anywhere from 5 to 50 sunning themselves near the water waiting for a reason to jump in.

Good point snags ....as I said , there will be debates on this issue because I know there are hunters and there are "other" hunters who have their own rules and ethics ... Disposing of their carcass is an issue for sure .

While fishing at Port Dal .today I almost hooked a diving cormorant while drifting a worm/spinner . That may have been the only action for the day !  About six of them were diving the harbour near the boat club but I never saw any bring up a fish !

Good info eclpise  ..... I "was" going to suggest using their meat for feeding livestock like pigs , etc.  but if they died from poisoning , not good .  I think the mnr could catch them by the thousands using BIG nets , then kill them humanely as we do with other poultry .....

In today's paper......   these people would know what has been going on concerning the killing of cormorants ....picture taken at the Rec.Canal

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9058445-opposition-to-proposed-double-crested-cormorant-hunt/

I'll be surprised if hunters are allowed to shoot them .....

Archived