Sign in to follow this  
Fishguy85

Need some advice regarding people crossing lines.

Hello fellow fisherman I am in need of some advice. My dad and I fish at the customs dock in Fort Erie almost all year round. This new guy comes down and he is crossing over everybody's lines snagging them and at first we give him a break as he was new we told him he need to cast straight we weren't rude about it but now its gotten out of hand and he thinks its funny. The dumb part is he is always catching fish. Yesterday he decided he is going to stand in front of my father and fish nearly hitting my dad with his rod also not watching where our equipment is. Any help would be great as I would like to catch some trout or walleye this year at the customs dock.

Edited by Fishguy85

Looks like you have a loonie on your hands , best to tell him to keep his distance (pleeeze)  , then advise him he is breaking a law ( har'ass'ment ) and threaten to call the cops ......maybe a video for evidence ....

Let's just say a few people of question fish over there....and sad part is they really don't care about anyone else around them...most people are courteous and know how to share spots like that one...then there are those that think they are regulars and own the place.... all you can do is try to reason..but it's not worth getting into a problem over it... there's better spots up there..I've seen people even do that to kids there...its takes a heck of a so called fisherman to muscle out kids over a couple 6 inch perch...Haha...

What kind of fishing you doing? Still fishing... jigging... drifting a float or bottom bouncing?... if you want trout and walleye there are better spots then worrying about someone spoiling your day.😉

Hi we are using a pickerel rigs. The guy is a newcomer to Canada and his english isn't very good we tried to help him out but no luck one of his friend that he made down there came up to my father and asked if he had reported the guy to the ministry which he never did. This guy has had a lot of luck down there with catching trout he got a nice lake trout and we are unsure if he is following the regs. I just want to go out and fish and not have to worry about people like that. Your right though its pretty bad down there we are starting to call it the Port Dalhousie of Fort Erie lol.

Its because that is a super easy access spot...and people see people fishing there...and therefore think it must be a good spot...usually if I fish a spot like that and someone asks how the fishing is.... unless they see me catch one.. I tell them the fishing sucks....Haha....the ministry does go there but if you think it's a prob.. it's your right to whistle blow there are many reasons for our mnr.....and it's better than vigilante justice... Haha.... I hear you about just wanting to relax and fish....Fishiotherapy is way more fun than the shrink.... I would be more than happy to share some tips if you PM me... no offence but I'm not telling the whole world... and guys like that are why..Haha

Now now doc can't ask him because apparently hesa no speaka da engalish so it would have to be sign language.... and I'm guessing arms waving around in the water would be sign language for no 😲😊😇.... on a side note I think cliff was laughing at me for suggesting to fishguy that I might be able to lend him fishing advice regarding the upper river 🤔

2 hours ago, dr_feelgood said:

can he swim?

Exactly my first thought...be a shame if he was that close you hooked his face as you cast...accidentally of course. 

I had this problem before but it was on opening walleye season at a dam .i just kept a smoke lit and touched his line with it everytime he got in the way.i guess if u dont smoke youd need a pair of scissors 😆.nobody wants to start crap while fishing but if hes being an idiot so be it just have some sort of protection or plan if he gets outta hand .id hook up a hook and sinker and tangle him up every time he does it to you .eventually he'll figure its not worth it.

Sometimes the "lingo" barrier is just a way to ignore others . It also gets them off easy with our laws sometimes.

Doc's idea would work fine , but it could be expensive for the kickee ....:o

I have mentioned it before ....it's too easy for anyone to get a fishing license  ,  absolutely no knowledge of the rules required , and I also said a page in the regs. dedicated to fishing etiquette and garbage, etc. might enlighten "some" people plus an on line service to translate into about 50 languages.....We have fished for smelts at Queenston over 50 years ago but no any more .....same type of people who will squeeze you out .

I think the cops will come if you say you may be assaulted ( after a few insults) .....  I usually try the nice approach first ....then "might" resort to JW's  alternatives .

(need to compare notes Jack )   :read:  ;)

I can't believe some of the comments on here.... push him in the river, slash his face with a hook, cut his line....really. All that for a fish. The river is huge, long, all kinds of spots. Give your heads a shake. It's fishing, he's not taking your car, or robbing you whatever. Just move along to another spot if you can't reason with the guy. Unbelievable.

I have fishing the upper Niagara for52 years. i remember get the big perch in the spring.Thats all gone. Trout was good to. Had 30 to 40 guys fishing. Never a problem. I guess people are just so greedy now. That they will take what ever and fight you. Sure would like to meet some of you guys. Could tell you stories you wouldnt believe.

11 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Now now doc can't ask him because apparently hesa no speaka da engalish so it would have to be sign language.... and I'm guessing arms waving around in the water would be sign language for no 😲😊😇.... on a side note I think cliff was laughing at me for suggesting to fishguy that I might be able to lend him fishing advice regarding the upper river 🤔

I am no upper expert.. It is a tough one to figure out.. Yes i do get fish but you have to work for them..

From what i heard there is only one upper river expert.. I am sure if you ask him hevwill agree...

I suppose we could just pack up our gear and look for another spot as knightfisher stated  . These guys soon learn that they can drive anyone from their spots and will continue to do so .  One of the well know trout fishermen was accosted ,then shoved by one of these shore bullies and ended up in the cold water . We applauded him for standing his ground .  I always look for a spot at least 50' or more from others . There may be some here who remember the days when hundreds of guys would flock to Thornbury for trout opening . What a circus !!  ....anglers standing shoulder to shoulder with some in waders on FRONT of others , and some actually casting a roe bag OVER your shoulder . (pictures on google) ,and oh ya ...booze , fights and tons of garbage . From what I've seen locally we are basically polite and respectful  ....boat intrusion used to be a problem for the shore casters  , but that seems to be better now .

Fishing should be FUN ....not a hassle ....    :th_fudd:........:Gonefishing:........:coldsmiley:....................:dunno:

1 hour ago, Botchegalupe said:

Where is the Customs Dock in Fort Erie?

The old "Coal Docks"  according to googling it .....map included .

I read suggesting that there are better fishing spots on the upper for targeting trout and walleye.. also why I asked what fishing techniques....there's a difference in tossing out a hook and sinker and seeing what bites and actually trying to target a species 😉

I found it on Google Maps, I also found a newspaper article stating the City of Fort Erie wanted to develop the area into a park, It would be a great place to build fishing platforms.

1 hour ago, F4U said:

Botchegalupe If you need a tour let me know. . We can meet at Timmies for coffee.

I'll get back to you in the New Year, what do you typically use for bait in the winter?

Hi guys thank you for the advice I don't want to start a pissing match with this guy and the people that are down there supporting him over a trout or a walleye it might just be best to call it a loss and find somewhere else to fish. I am hoping that this guy gets in trouble with the ministry over the amount of rainbows he has caught these pass 2 months he already was told he had too many minnows in his bucket and somebody reported him for using multiple rods.