Newbie to the Forum

DanB

Hey everyone. Stumbled across these forums and there has been a plethora of information I’ve read up on already. Being American and being engaged to a Canadian.. it really increases the options I have for fishing because I’m up in the great white north more often. 

A little bit about myself - growing up I did tons of pond fishing. Your normal largemouth bass and crappie. My uncle had a pond in his back yard and I’d go over there every weekend.. sometimes he’d even filet & cook our catch to eat. I’ve been hooked ever since. I’ve branched our over the years to fishing the finger lakes over here when I have the time, however they are not super local and they’re a bit of a drive. I’ve fished the Niagara river and Lake Erie also. 

My fiancé is living in (where I’ll be spending tons of time) in St. Catharines. I take the martindale exit off of the QEW.. she’s down the street from the Walmart and Best Buy if that helps.I’m fairly unfamiliar with the area and trying to get familiar with the fishing regulations before anything else. I want to target pike / Muskie via kayak. 

Definifely not looking for any handouts but I’m just looking for some vague guidelines - where can I start? The closer to her house, the better. Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing from some of you hopefully. 

Hi Dan welcome to the site just so happens to be a few people from st kitts here that frequently fish the area I'm sure if you read some of the posts you will find some of the info you ste looking for.... Niagara has a few areas where there are opportunities for pike fishing in all seasons...as for musky fishing... the odd incidental can be caught while pike fishing...but that is a tough one around the area to target...happy fishin 

Thanks! I will continue reading of course. Wanted to introduce myself and be apart of the community too. I usually use google maps / apple maps to find fishing spots. But it’s a bit different up here because I’ve read that I can fish some spots and can’t fish others. The “old welland canal” runs right behind my fiancé’s house, so if that’s worthwhile it would be super convenient. 

Hi DanB......there's enough "Dan's" on this board that could fill you in on every spot in the Niagara Peninsula . haha    I live about .6 mile from WallyM-Best Buy on Vansickle Rd. There are spots from here close enough I can bike to , like the 12 Mile Creek which has bass & pike etc. Lake Gibson also has pike & ski's, but no boating in either one.  You can kayak at Jordan Harbour when the Conservation Park opens in the spring (21st. St.) ...lots of parking and ramp for motor-less boats .  Some pike and bass there , and lots of big cats and carp too .

Check the "Ontario Fishing Regulations for maps , seasons and limits ......and don't forget it's license renewal time Daniel .  Jan. 1 .  Welcome to the club , hope to see you on the water front !  

super local to where I’ll be at! You have much luck shore fishing at 12 mile creek or lake Gibson? I’ll have to check both of those out. And Jordan harbour will be on my list too. Need something to do up there on weekends when she’s working. Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, DanB said:

super local to where I’ll be at! You have much luck shore fishing at 12 mile creek or lake Gibson? I’ll have to check both of those out.

The 12 Mile has many holes to fish , but has a rough bottom at most spots . I can see the current patters from satellite maps and fish the "back eddies" mostly .  Gibson has many bays and some fast current spots which I target carp mostly and do well on the carp . Others target pike or bass and seem to do okay as well . Water depths vary from 4 to 15+ feet where I fish for carp . Jordan is a shallow bay , mostly brackish brown water with lots of fish to target.  Not a good day to fish today ....looks like some nicer days ahead !   :Gonefishing:

thanks for all the information and welcomes guys. Won’t be doing any fishing until spring. Have some stuff to sort out and have to look at some kayaks and buy one. I look forward to trying out as many spots as possible and having fun while doing so. I don’t mind shore fishing at all, but I do lean towards kayak fishing. I enjoy the slight workout and just being out on the water so much. 

On 12/10/2018 at 10:36 PM, DanB said:

My fiancé is living in (where I’ll be spending tons of time) in St. Catharines. I take the martindale exit off of the QEW.. she’s down the street from the Walmart and Best Buy if that helps.I’m fairly unfamiliar with the area and trying to get familiar with the fishing regulations before anything else. I want to target pike / Muskie via kayak.

Welcome ... well you are positioned in a great area for some shore fishing.

Muskie and pike exist in most of Niagara, Lake Gibson has a healthy population of both, just a matter of finding them.  You will find me out there whipping spinnerbaits around at ice out and then when pike open up after spawning ... missed a really good one this past year that got the heart racing, the monster left a pretty solid wake behind.

Martindale Pond has dropped off in recent years, not sure why but the fish numbers have drastically dropped, mostly carp, bass, and pike.

If you want to get into muskie intentionally, the Niagara River is where you want to be.  They get some decent sizes out of there for the muskie, most specifically on the upper ... there is a member on here who posts scuba diving videos showing some of the fish sitting on the bottom.

The unfortunate thing is, there is plenty of closed off spaces in Niagara, so you do need to be aware that sometimes you could be faced with some trespassing concerns ... for example Gibson is not to have any boats (electric or paddle) on it and the Security that patrols it will gladly call the NRP.

As Smerch said, 12 mile creek can be productive, and when they kill the current it is really interesting to check out, however there is no warning that they will turn it on.  Almost got caught a few years ago.  Takes about 5 to 10 minutes for everything to be back to whitewater conditions in some spots.

Definitely get yourself familiar with the regulations as there are plenty of exceptions and sanctuary areas in Niagara.  Combined that with seasons that don't really make sense.  Unless there was any changes there are three zones you will need to know, 16 (inland - Niagara), 19 (Lake Erie), and 20 (Lake Ontario). 

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Welcome ... well you are positioned in a great area for some shore fishing.

Muskie and pike exist in most of Niagara, Lake Gibson has a healthy population of both, just a matter of finding them.  You will find me out there whipping spinnerbaits around at ice out and then when pike open up after spawning ... missed a really good one this past year that got the heart racing, the monster left a pretty solid wake behind.

Martindale Pond has dropped off in recent years, not sure why but the fish numbers have drastically dropped, mostly carp, bass, and pike.

If you want to get into muskie intentionally, the Niagara River is where you want to be.  They get some decent sizes out of there for the muskie, most specifically on the upper ... there is a member on here who posts scuba diving videos showing some of the fish sitting on the bottom.

The unfortunate thing is, there is plenty of closed off spaces in Niagara, so you do need to be aware that sometimes you could be faced with some trespassing concerns ... for example Gibson is not to have any boats (electric or paddle) on it and the Security that patrols it will gladly call the NRP.

As Smerch said, 12 mile creek can be productive, and when they kill the current it is really interesting to check out, however there is no warning that they will turn it on.  Almost got caught a few years ago.  Takes about 5 to 10 minutes for everything to be back to whitewater conditions in some spots.

Definitely get yourself familiar with the regulations as there are plenty of exceptions and sanctuary areas in Niagara.  Combined that with seasons that don't really make sense.  Unless there was any changes there are three zones you will need to know, 16 (inland - Niagara), 19 (Lake Erie), and 20 (Lake Ontario). 

I’m intrigued with lake Gibson. I really wish I could take the kayak out there to get into some areas.. but it seems worthwhile to check out from shore if you’re almost bringing in trophy sized fish. I’ve done some fishing in the Niagara river, around the peace bridge when my fiancé lived in fort Erie.. not too much success from shore and taking a kayak out there seems to be a death wish. 

Thanks for the reply. Getting a lot of warm welcomes and pointers. Much appreciated guys. One day maybe I’ll be able to return the favor. Or at least post some pictures here of the fish I caught with the advice. Cheers. 

Archived