Most recent fishing trip

marth11

Alright guys and gals, back in the spring time, before I destroyed my heels, I finally caught my first bowfin, been hunting these guys for a few years, they are an excellent fight, a cross between a pike and a trout, was using a fire tiger #2 mepps spinner, did on the pike with these as well.

FB_IMG_1544724928994.jpg

Yep they put up a nice fight... have caught them a few times in shallow water for early season pike... they like shallow muddy water....will attack other fish....also they leave a scent..if you catch one and then stop catching other fish ..... cut a bunch of your line off and rerig...they look really cool in spawning colors with bright blue fins

Nice one Joe !  They will hit a minnow under a float there also . They like to hide in the weed beds there and dropping a minnow at the edge will get the doggies to charge out !

I see some green on the belly , but some have more colours .

2 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Congratulations on the capture!  I've never caught one myself, but would love to add a Bowfin to my list.

Mepps spinners.  Is there anything they can't catch!?

The mepps never failed me, the spinner is so beat up lol, half of the paint is gone, along with some of the bucktail, and the hooks are bent out of shape. Bowfin are very fun and when running you can get a few, bring forceps! I caught this one at the end of May at 15 mile creek.

Archived