A longggg trip home

smerchly

...somewhat fishing related as we all go through it .... It takes me about 12 minutes to reach Port Dal. from my home . I fished for a few hrs. then got a coffee/d.nut at Homestead. at 2:45p.m. , then I "was" going to Lake St. to get dog food . NOT !! The road was clogged with cars , not moving,   so  I decided to go through Port to Martindale Rd . It took 10 minutes to cut through the cars to get on Main St. which was solid cars for a good mile past 3rd. St. What's going on ?? Radio on local CKTB  said QEW shut down , both lanes .. person jumped over the Lake St.bridge  in the A.M. at the QEW bridge . All traffic diverted ....thousands of cars , transports clogging city streets . Port was solid cars from Ontario St. ,all through Port  past Martindale !   I headed up 3rd but it was plugged solid at HWY 8 ....headed to 7th & back 3rd but hwy8 was backed up for a mile to St.Paul/Louth St. ....went down 3rd to 8th ave to 1st which was backed up another mile with many transports as well .   45 minutes to get home . The QEW was shut down all day because a person jumped . Thousands of cars & trucks at a standstill for hours ....people late for work ,appointments etc etc.....and yes , tons of wasted fuel .

We all hit traffic jams when going on fishing trips , especially at rush hour times ....but I don't think they need to shut a major hwy down for many hours after a jump situation ! Another jump happened yesterday AGAIN at the new Burgoyne bridge . (nothing in news ) .   I fish Port often but there's only one way in or out ...I shutter to think what the traffic will be like when thousands more will be living there when the new condo's are built .  Parking will be scarce  & I'll probably be fishing elsewhere after 65 years of fishing there .

...on a side note .....they were cutting down all the trees on the west pier today & others were checking depths on the lake side with marker poles as they begin the restoration of the piers which "may" be completed by spring of 2021  (I'll be an old codger by then)  

Oh yes ....the "fishing"  .....skunk #4  !   Going back tomorrow to get the dog food so I'll try again . Trout fishing is wayyy too slow for this guy .....a fish of 100 casts if your lucky .  Got a few minnows left to toss "somewhere"  !   :Gonefishing: 

Wondered why cop cars abandoned truck and Miller safety and crash trucks where there this aft when we where coming home from fishing....Ontario to lake was shut down for a "major accident"    .... wow .....that was on the Niagara bound side..at about 3 ish...sad to hear... but a bit "trendy" last couple months.....you right about the trout...we only boated 11 out of 2 trips.... might seem good but for us it's slow...Haha...got pics but of course can't figure the posting thing yet again and still...... good thing your little chihuahua 🐈 eats 50 lbs bags of food a day smerch and you conveniently have to practically go by the water....and make sure not to waste bait before the expiration date and um had to stop for coffee...then got tired and had to rest ......Haha.. 

Doggie is a "Jug" ...Jack Russle / Pug mix. We got her from the Welland pound 3 yrs ago ( will be 10 next March). A 4 kg.bag costs over $50 ( caviar ) 

Were you fishing at Port Jack ....usually a few boats there .  I tried Rennie for a while for pike-perch but no takers or lakers  (  not a creature was stirring , not even a gobie ) ;)

Ya...my minnows are dying from old age  ....been in and out of my tank 4 times ! And they like the dog food .......

12 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Fishing the lower...just saw the road closure on way home..I live just off the Ontario cut off now

Only 5 minutes to Port now Jack ,  see you there sometime ?  Can't miss my old shagging wagon ....

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Doggie is a "Jug" ...Jack Russle / Pug mix. We got her from the Welland pound 3 yrs ago ( will be 10 next March). A 4 kg.bag costs over $50 ( caviar ) 

Were you fishing at Port Jack ....usually a few boats there .  I tried Rennie for a while for pike-perch but no takers or lakers  (  not a creature was stirring , not even a gobie ) ;)

Ya...my minnows are dying from old age  ....been in and out of my tank 4 times ! And they like the dog food .......

I was at Rennie for a couple of hours in the morning. Nada.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

I was at Rennie for a couple of hours in the morning. Nada.

Seems like the perch have disappeared Bruce ....don't know where they went !   I tried a few  spots yesterday  but even live minnows didn't work . They used to come into the harbour chasing large schools of minnows , but the minnows have been scarce as well .....except there's some nice ones at Peter's tackle shop . L  :)  L

.....the cormorants seem to be doing ok there .....   :mellow:

40 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

Heard few perch + trout been caught at the mouth of canal..(lake Ontario....st.catharines marina area ) .. bit of a walk tho.

I have taken my mountain bike to the end of that pier (nice trail) , and fished a few spots . The canal side is very deep and tons of gobies there . Back in the late 50's we caught many varieties of fish along the canal side , like drum, channel cats , eels & a few pan fish.  (zero gobies)  . We hunted ducks there also .

Archived